Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I would like to flash headlights but have daytime running lights so I can't get them off and on...always on. I do wave though.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I should add I normally don't flash the lights because I run with them on while towing, even in daylight. I like to glance in the mirror every now and then and see that the marker lights on the trailer are still lit.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you normally run with lights on, doesn't that make it easier? Just flick your high beams on and off.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
AS sighting are rare for us too. When we spot one you would think we just saw Santa Claus! What a happy sight! Always wave.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you normally run with lights on, doesn't that make it easier? Just flick your high beams on and off.
...and blind the people in front of me? Erm, no. Or worse, signal to a truck that it's clear to come over? Perhaps you drive without other traffic, but for me there are ALWAYS other vehicles around to consider.

I guess I'm just not a fan of people blinking their lights for anything other than indicating danger ahead. (And "danger" does not include a cop looking for speeders.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I always get a kick out of seeing them! On the way to Santa Fe, I saw several. Woulda thought that they were the ones coming from the NM unit rally at our place (and I did see a couple of those) -- except that these were headed in the wrong direction. Highway 68 between Taos and Espanola was Airstream alley!

Lynn
Old 08-28-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Waves and flashes when meeting on the road ... talking if they are stopped ...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I love the reasons not too, glad I don't have the same mind set.
I too drive in generally heavy traffic and always manage to give a flash and a wave. My entire family waves. Most often the guy in the other lane just looks at us as we pass with a blank look. I guess he is worried a truck will move over in front of him if he does the same.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Airstream Tour

We picked up our 2013 16' Sport from the AS dealer a few weeks ago and since then it's been in our driveway awaiting its maiden voyage to Yosemite in October.

I was out in the AS over the week end loading and organizing our trailer gear from the Casita we sold and I hear a "hello" from outside the trailer.

I very nice couple Jan and Les from Washington state who were visiting their son in our neighborhood were out for a walk when they spotted our AS.

They have been touring the past few years with a 2008 International. I told them we had just purchased ours and invited them in for a quick tour which ended up in a one hour gab fest about trailers, places to go and see etc.

Their son came from up the street looking for them thinking something had happened to them. When he found them sitting in our Sport his response was "Why am I not surprised".

We had our Casita five years and really enjoyed the friendly fellowship from other Casita owners.

We are looking forward to being out on the road greeting other AS owners as they pass and in campgrounds doing the same.

What a nice way to start out our life as AS owners.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #24
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Ill keep my eye open when bringing my AS home this weekend! I always get excited when seeing othr AS's, even before I owned one! Ill be sure to wave at fellow AS ers though!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #25
Ora
2 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
LAMPASAS , Texas
My wife and I are new to the Airstream experience, we just finished our first roadtrip (4500 mile trip NY to Texas)with our "Rosie", 29' 74 Ambassador. We like to acknowledge other AS we see but usually on an Interstate there is not much time. We had a couple park next to us at a rest stop in TN, and we had a couple next with an AS in Palacios TX. I will continue to attempt to build comradery with fellow Airstreamers at every oppertunity ... a shared kinship of sorts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize828002.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	166987  
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #26
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
I always try to flash and wave
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
I am SO GLAD you started this thread 3Campers! We don't yet own an Airstream but will within the next year. I didn't know what the proper custom was for greeting others on the road and we will now be waving and flashing our lights and perhaps even honking our horn in excitement - woot woot! I will say that I'm ALWAYS looking for Airstreams on the road and when I see one I get really excited...and say "there's one, there's one!!!" Luckily, my husband likes to look for them as well :-) Thanks again for the tip!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We generally wave excitedly, but don't flash the lights very often. Responses range from enthusiastic wave-backs, to the cool lifted forefinger off the steering wheel, to the null response.

Campground site visits are similar. Some ASers are friendly and hospital, even to the point of playing a round of bridge or inviting us to their next rally. Some are cautious or aloof (maybe it's just us ???) The ones with the older Airstreams that they've restored seem most happy to discuss their favourite project.

We often get questions from non-AS owners, though, in campgrounds, supermarket parking lots, at gas stations, &c. about how we like our AS, how much it cost, &c. I think it is due to the Bambi's "cute factor."