Old 09-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Alternative Routes from Ontario to Florida and Back

We're planning our first Disney trip to Fort Wilderness for this fall and I'm working out the travel plans from Niagara on the Lake Ontario to Florida and back again.

Since we're traveling with our two small children we're going to avoid sleeping at truck stops, Walmarts and Cracker Barrels on this trip. I have accumulated a lot of KOA points that I plan to use up.

On the way down we're planning to travel 4 days as follows:
Night one: Flatwoods KOA, Sutton West Virginia - 650km
Night two: Charlotte - 500km
Night Three: Savannah - 400km
Night Four: Fort Wilderness Disney - 450km

We've traveled this route before and the distances should be easy, even with the kids.

On the way back we're thinking of going some different route just for a change of scenery and to see something new.
We have 5 days available to get home from Disney so we can do all short travel days, a few long travel days with 2 days in one spot, or a combination.

My max distance per day with the kids is 500 miles, less in bad weather and I don't like long days back to back.

What are you're recommendations?

Thanks!

AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall is spectacular

Old 09-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
I did not calculate how many kilometers it would represent but on the way back once you are in Charlotte continue on 77 then 81 then you can take 90 in Albany NY. I have been to Savannah a few times and from Montreal I use 401 81 77 26 95. At this time of the year it is beautifull and that route avoids major city.
I am sure there is plenty of places to stop along the way. From Montreal our first day usually takes us to Chambersburgh PA. The second one we stop in St George SC and that leaves us us with a very short driving day on day 3. The only reason I have to stop in ST George is to have supper at little greasy spoon that I like a lot. Skynyrd's grill and sports bar. But it might not be to everyone's taste.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
I can't help with route, but I noticed you're stopping in Savannah. You might try Skidaway ( http://gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland ) for the night. We really enjoyed it and there's lots for the kids to enjoy. Safe travels
Old 09-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall is spectacular
That's definitely an option, we did Skyline Drive last year and loved it.
We'll be travelling near Christmas, will weather be a problem?
Old 09-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
I did not calculate how many kilometers it would represent but on the way back once you are in Charlotte continue on 77 then 81 then you can take 90 in Albany NY. I have been to Savannah a few times and from Montreal I use 401 81 77 26 95. At this time of the year it is beautifull and that route avoids major city.
I am sure there is plenty of places to stop along the way. From Montreal our first day usually takes us to Chambersburgh PA. The second one we stop in St George SC and that leaves us us with a very short driving day on day 3. The only reason I have to stop in ST George is to have supper at little greasy spoon that I like a lot. Skynyrd's grill and sports bar. But it might not be to everyone's taste.
This sounds like a good route but 81 is farther east than we need to be to get back to Niagara, we normally cross the border at Fort Erie/Buffalo and travel south on 79 out of Erie PA.

Is there a place you stay in Chambersburgh? that's about 600km +/- depending on if we took back roads or stuck to interstate only. That would be an excellent first or last day for us.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmyWeather View Post
I can't help with route, but I noticed you're stopping in Savannah. You might try Skidaway ( http://gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland ) for the night. We really enjoyed it and there's lots for the kids to enjoy. Safe travels
Thanks, That looks like a great place to stay!
Old 09-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
This sounds like a good route but 81 is farther east than we need to be to get back to Niagara, we normally cross the border at Fort Erie/Buffalo and travel south on 79 out of Erie PA.

Is there a place you stay in Chambersburgh? that's about 600km +/- depending on if we took back roads or stuck to interstate only. That would be an excellent first or last day for us.
When we did it before it was whitout the Airstream so we stopped at the Comfort inn on black gap road. This November we will be heading south but this time with the AS and we will probably spend the night at the local Walmart. If you are traveling near Christmas you might have a hard time finding a campground still open at that time of year in that area.

Strmyweather is right Skydaway state park is a great place to stop and only 20 minutes to Savannah. You should plan some time to visit this beautiful city and if you do take your kids to Leopold's ice cream they will thank you.