Old 09-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Energy companies have been making such big profits from high prices even before Katrina's damage that they are likely to rush back into operation as fast as possible.
I KNEW IT! I JUST KNEW IT! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The Governor of GA amnnounced he is suspending the state taxes on gas, which should help ease the price some. A friend with a large gas station said their next load cost to them was 3.19 a gallon. IF they can get a load.
They sold 1,000 gallons of diesel to one customer with a tanker truck who supplies his fleet of backhoes and graders.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Report "gouging" to US Department of Energy

You can report gouging here.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
How much will this affect heating oil prices?

My oil company is allowing its customers to pre-pay for their 2005/2006 heating season oil at a locked in price of $2.35/gal but I need to pay by 9/15. "Should I or shouldn't I?"...that is the question.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Now we're getting it.

Guys,

Outside of Washington DC, lining up into the road to pay $3.49, passed one station at $3.19.
Interesting about the pipeline.
Rumor said gas stations were going to shut down at 4:00 pm. Didn't happen.
There is a refinery in Baltimore that process's fuel.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
In nearly 20 years of home ownership I've never seen a winter where the oil or propane pre-buy in summer wasn't cheaper than the January price. I'd take the deal.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Yukionna, my friends in Sandwich took the deal too.

By the way, this morning 87 was 2.89/gal this afternoon it was 2.98 here in Wenatchee. Jim said the Bourne rotary was at 3.50/gal.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #78
Site Team

, Minnesota
Here are the 'official' regional price averages for crude, gasoline, distillate (diesel/heating oil) and propane. They also report historical (53 weeks) prices, inventories, production, import levels and demand. http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/tw...istillate.html

Good information if you are an economist. Otherwise its pretty dull reading.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Also try www.gasbuddy.com
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
One of major tv networks had a Chevron executive on the other day. subject was new refineries. He said chevron had been trying for 7 or 8 years to get the permits to build a new refinery. They did not have the permit as of the airing of the interview!!!!!!!!!!!and const. would take years more.

I worked for a company that lost $600,000,000 on an oil pipline, oil exploration leases, etc. Most of their trouble was in California!!!!!!! That is the same state that did not build one electric generating facility while Texas built 15.

The chickens are coming home to roost. Only problem is, it's the guy at the bottom who suffers.

Louisiana is environmentally easy compared to most states. The crude is delivered in their deep water ports, refined in their refineries, and piped to the rest of us. Creates a problem doesn't it.

I think the oil companies should adopt the slogan "Pi-- poor planning on your part does not constitute a crisis on our part"
Old 09-02-2005, 10:10 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I am still not convinced that if they can get permission to dril in ANWR, that they can't permission to build new refineries. The stickler appears to be that they don't want to meet EPA standards. If my car has to pass EPA standards (smog test), so should they.

I wouldn't mind paying $3+ a gallon for gas, if it funded clean new refineries.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Don't say "I wouldn't mind paying $3+ a gallon for gas, if it funded clean new refineries." They will take that to mean $ 6.00 a gallon !!!!! You klazy?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
I am still not convinced that if they can get permission to dril in ANWR, that they can't permission to build new refineries. The stickler appears to be that they don't want to meet EPA standards. If my car has to pass EPA standards (smog test), so should they.

It appears the problem is not EPA, but local standards. The EPA defers to local agencies in many areas, and there can be, and frequently are a hodgepodge of city, county, and state requirements that are left purposfully vague so as to allow petty officials to have their say. And it is always easier to just say "no", isn't it? So, California gets no oil refineries, no powerplants, no nothing, but it is somebody else's "greed" who cause their high prices.

This is not to say that some oversight is not necessary. It is to say that the process has become largely impossible.

Mark
Old 09-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #84
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know it's not just the individual that gets hurt by these fuel prices. My wife is a teacher in our local school system. The budget for this year was set more than a year ago. There had already been much talk about what areas of the budgets would have to be cut in many school systems to make up for the higher than expected fuel cost for the busses this year.

One of the smaller neighboring counties had to cancel school today because of the cost of fuel for the school busses. With a given number of students, bus capacity, and given bus routes you can only combine so many routes before you have to start cutting staff and new text books and other supplies.

We live in one of the most prosperous counties in our state and my wife gets next to nothing already for school supplies; I think she gets less than $50/year for supplies and materials and it has been that way for years. She has already used her year's alotment of photocopies for test and worksheets and its only the third week of school (we have a modified year round calendar). She pays for virtually all of her supplies and materials out of her own pocket. The state's target class size is something like 18 students and she has 21 and she has the smallest class in her grade level. She told me if they get 3-4 more third graders (which is very likely) by law they will have to hire another third grade teacher.

So where does the extra fuel for school busses come from? State law requires 180 days of school. The neighboring county will have to make up school today at some point. Where will that fuel come from on that day? Where will the money for the higher fuel cost for our school system come from for this week's high priced fuel?