Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I just filled up the wife's car at the closest gas station to our house. $2.799, same as yesterdays price. Highest I saw was $2.999 at the freeway. From what other people are posting it sounds like all the stations are all going to throw away their "2's". I pulled right up to the pump without waiting, but then things started getting a little crowded. One inconsiderate bunch of boobs had a small hatchback with, I kid you not, I counted them, 12 red plastic gas cans from 1 gallon to 6 gallons in size. I commented to another patron, that "It's people like THAT, that cause gas shortages!" Wife chastised me for saying that, say I could have gotten shot. She is probably right.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I have to drive 8 hours up to michagan tomorrow to get the trailer and then back on Friday, the gas bill is going to sting for sure....... but on the upside having the trailer at home finally will be a big bonus and ought to take out some of the sting. While there Im getting a fridge and water heater (thinking furnace also) from Palomino. The savings from that will help too. I cant help but believe that this has gotten about as bad as it will.................

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:59 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Vespa

Iver I tried to find a way to install a hitch on my 11mos. old Vespa so I could save on gas.Can't pull the Bambi even with a tow rope!
cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #24
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
Anyone in Atlanta?

At this moment I'm watching Fox News ... gas is priced over $6.00 per gallon at a BP station in Atlanta ... $5.57 at another!
Porky, I’m in Atlanta. In fact, I’ve done a lot of driving around Atlanta today. Here’s the scoop: It’s all a load of crap (not the price increases, the “shortage”). The one reality is that the pipeline (actually, the 2 pipelines) that carry gasoline to the Atlanta region from the Texas/Louisiana refineries are both shut down right now. They have both been down since Monday when Katrina came ashore.

Now for a dose of reality. The Atlanta region has a 10 day reserve of gasoline. That’s the way the system works here (which, of course, means that we are nowhere near running out). This is confirmed by both the Governor and a local radio station that actually took the time to investigate the “facts” with the pipeline operator. The pipeline is indeed down right now. Why? Because Katrina shut down the power grid to several of the pumping stations in the affected regions. The pipeline operator is in the process of putting emergency generators in place to restore the “pumping capacity” of the two paths to Atlanta. Now for the “Hype”.

This morning a rumor (internet/word of mouth) got started around Atlanta that gas would soon be in short or non-existent supply (because of the above scenario that got twisted up by the ignorant media and the ignorant populace). Result? Unscrupulace operators of gas stations/convenience stores immediately ran the prices up in preparation for higher prices from their suppliers in the near future (yeah, right). The company I work for even fell into this nonsensical line of logic; we have to fill our vehicle gas tanks every morning until the “crises” passes.

There are, indeed, many service stations that have raised their prices to ridiculous levels because of all of this junk. The Governor, about an hour ago signed an executive order concerning price gouging at the pump. I don’t pretend to understand the inner workings of government here in “Jawja”, but apparently the Governor has to “invoke” the gouging rule in times of crises. We can only hope that he actually puts some of these sons-of-bitches in jail. But, that probably won’t happen as most of them are not citizens of the United States of America. Before you decide to flame me on this statement, you need to come to Atlanta and see for yourself.

One thing for everybody. No matter where you live, the hype will rule your “energy” lives for a while. Hell, it has for the last couple of years. Just remember where you spend your money. The legitimate operators here haven’t raised their prices to stupid levels. In Atlanta that means companies like Quick Trip, BJ’s and Kroger. When this alleged “crises” is over, spend your money in the place that seems most reasonable right now.

JIM

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You heard it here....cheap stuff now at 3.17/gallon. All camping trips are now offically off. All non-essential driving is no longer being done. Towing a 350 mile trip would now cost at least $117 and change one way.

Combining trips, for example, on the way home will stop at the grocery store, etc rather than make a special trip.

At these levels it's just insane and I can't believe I was so bent when I saw gas at $1.50 gallon.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:53 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
We also need to reach out to the poor in our own home towns who will be most affected by this terribly sudden and high increase in the gas price....Typically they drive the most inefficient cars ....
That would be all that tow.

I, too, live in metro-Atlanta and about 10:30 AM this morning one of the local stations near me was $2.699 at 3:15 PM the same station was $2.999. Other stations on the main drag in town were $3.199 this afternoon and there were people lined up in the street to get to them! At the same time the news reporter on the local talk-only radio station said that the reports of gas shortages by the weekend were untrue.

A few months ago a reporter said that there was a several month lag between the increase and decreases of crude on the commodities market and that crude actually getting through the refineries and to the pumps and that gas stations would respond to those increases immediately in anticipation of increases in their cost, but the stations would wait until their cost dropped to pass those savings onto the consumer. I think that is probably the only time you get to have your cake and eat it too.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Our commercial fuel dealer has not raised prices like most others. The price you see on the pump is not the price I see on my statement at the end of the month, it is lower about $ 0.10 a gallon from what others pay at the same pump that are not commercial. When I have a large credit on the commercial account I also get a small discount for the prepay. This whole fuel thing is the 1970's played again using a differnt tune.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Gas in the Twin Cities and surrounding communities ranges from $2.669 to $3.199 at the moment.

When the next round of Qtrly Performance reports come out to the stock analysts, I hope that I don't hear "another record Qtr" for oil company XYZ.

It would be such a shame to see tens of thousands of people suffering from Katrina, to see so many of the rest of us in the country sending our financial support, and then to see the oil companies receive a windfall at all of our expense.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This all makes my 2.54 for diesel at the little Shell station in Ashland sound wunnerful
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:44 PM   #30
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know, I recall a little rise in gas prices last year after the huricanes that hit Florida about this time of year, but nothing like this! And that was just a temporary rise. It just goes to show that the gas station owners are gauging us. There is no excuse for what has happened today.

I was planning to meet some buddies for lunch today about 30 miles from home so I filled up yesterday so I wouldn't have to today on the way. Boy am I glad I did. I had 10 gallons in the tank and it took more than 23 gallons to fill it up. At $2.599 for diesel it still took $61.00 to fill up. Imagine what it would have cost if I waited just 24 hours! More than $70 that's what.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #31
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Regular $2.68 on Wednesday morning and $3.29 Wednesday night...

Someone's getting rich.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Holy cow Janet !! I wish you were kidding, but I bet you aren't. Grrrrrrrr.......
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Regular $2.68 on Wednesday morning and $3.29 Wednesday night...

Someone's getting rich.
I guess we are lucky, yesterday morning, it was $264, only $2.99 this AM. I am always amazed that pirices can take a jump when the filling station has NOT yet sold what is in the holding tank
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
The morning news here in Tampa just said that $4 per gallon is coming our way pretty soon... and that we will have a shortage here. It's the 70's again! I just wish my trailer was in as good a shape now as it was in 1972!

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Crude $69.18 via Bloomberg at 8:40am.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 09-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
The day before yesterday, it was $2.60 here in Ohio. The very NEXT day $3.09. That's a $.49 increase in one day! They say we'll be at $4 by December. Merry Christmas! I reported the local Speedway to the US Dept of Energy.....then I called the Speedway and told them so! When I asked him the reason why his gas was $3.09/gallon, he said that's what "they" e-mailed him that morning. Turn them ALL in here:

http://gaswatch.energy.gov/

This is getting insane. My wife works in a neighboring town and she's going to have to get a job here to be able to afford to work! How crazy does that sound? Can't afford to work?!?!?!?

My $3.09 worth.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:54 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
It may be short-term price gouging, but this is where things are headed in the long run (Doom? Gloom? Have a seat.) The world's ever-increasing needs are simply overtaxing the production capabilities, and therin lies the problem. I heard an interview on NPR (insert "liberal" insults here) from a very well-informed man, (an advisor-type guy who's gone to all the Arab countries and inspected their rigs on behalf of U.S. gas companies) and in his opinion, the production levels has just about "peaked" meaning they can't pull more barrels out per day than current numbers. That's a really bad sign.

He went on to explain that when you can't pump at a faster rate anymore, it's nearly always a sign that the reserve is sightly more than half gone. (Something to do with the pumping methods, and the fact that it's not like a straw sucking from an underground lake, more like squeezing moisture from a sponge.) And the reserves he was talking about are the highest concentration of oil in the world, about all of the middle east. The Arabs won't admit to any of this, theoretically because they don't want to create fear, which might lead to spending money to develop alternative fuels. Oil is their only bread and butter. Would you want to cast doubt in the minds of people buying your product?? On the other hand, maybe this guy is Chicken Little. (Wanna take the chance, and NOT develop an alternative?)

So I don't think gas prices are going back down, this isn't "That 70's Show." Things will, perhaps, stabilize and return to the slower rate of price increases. IMHO

Hey, you know all those people who've said for years that anyone towing an Airstream must be a millionaire? In ten years, they may look like prophets!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
prophets....not profits.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Just for grins, I called a few propane distributors yesterday and asked for the per gallon price, to fill an RV tank. Got prices ranging from $2.20 to $3.40 a gallon in the Gainesville area. Flying J is still under $2 in just about all their locations.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 09-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #40
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:

guess we are lucky, yesterday morning, it was $264, only $2.99 this AM. I am always amazed that pirices can take a jump when the filling station has NOT yet sold what is in the holding tank
Hmmm. The BP near my house was $2.43 last night at closing time. It was $3.09 this morning. Pretty sure they did not take a tanker overnight (since they were closed).

What do you think?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote