Old 04-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
We really enjoyed our fall trip to Big Bend and now fully appreciate the sheer size of Texas!
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
We did stay at the Tumble Inn, great park! Thanks!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
If you have plenty of time, you might consider a few days at Brazos Bend State Park.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/brazos-bend
Beautiful treed settings, large lakes with about three thousand gators to see. Also, it has The 36-inch Gueymard Research Telescope is one of the largest telescopes in the US that is regularly available for public viewing.

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstruck View Post
Thanks! We do want to explore the Galveston area, for no particular reason. We just had never been and thought it would be a good stopping place on our way to New Orleans Jazz Fest. Any other suggestions you have area appreciated. We do have reservations for 2 nights on the beach side at State Park. Hopefully the weather holds up!
If you are going to Galveston, then the beach side of the state park is your best choice for where to stay, hands down. I was there in February and loved it to the point where I hope to snag another reservation on some weekday when I can take a day off work (it's only 30 miles from our home but we get out whenever we can). Blog post on our stay:

GALVESTON ISLAND STATE PARK

Downtown Galveston is worth exploring if you like history. Bishop's Palace is definitely worth seeing. Also if you like art, the Rene Wiley gallery is wonderful (but of course, art is very much to personal taste). My two favorite eateries are Sunflower Bakery and Mosquito Cafe, which are almost adjacent to each other. Neither specializes in the seafood for which Galveston is well-known; I'm not sure where the best seafood would be, but in general I'd probably advise steering clear of the restaurants next to the cruise ship terminal. And if you enjoy shopping, it's worth wandering through The Strand.

If you are proceeding to New Orleans, it would be really, really, REALLY convenient for you to get across the Bolivar Ferry, rather than having to travel back up to IH-10 by way of the traffic nightmare that is Houston. I don't yet know the limits of what rigs can be accommodated on that ferry. I researched it a couple of months ago, and TxDOT told me to phone the ferry people and talk to them directly about my situation, which I never got around to. This Air forums thread discusses that topic and there are trailer threads on ferry travel potential as well.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole81 View Post
If you have plenty of time, you might consider a few days at Brazos Bend State Park.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/brazos-bend
Beautiful treed settings, large lakes with about three thousand gators to see. Also, it has The 36-inch Gueymard Research Telescope is one of the largest telescopes in the US that is regularly available for public viewing.
Agreed - but with a couple of six-legged caveats. I had a one-night camp-out there six days ago and I really enjoyed it, but if folks are sensitive to insects, it might not be the optimal choice right at this moment. Blog post describing why:

BRAZOS BEND STATE PARK
Old 04-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #20
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I tagged this thread because we're planning this trip from So Calif to New Orleans. Sadly without our trailer. We need to cover a lot of miles per day.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
weather next week

Hello all! What is the weather in Texas like this week? I am seeing warnings of flooding and thunderstorms. That will change our plans. What are all the Texas folks recommending for a route through Texas from Corrales leaving tomorrow 4/17/2016 heading for New Orleans...

Thanks !
Old 04-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstruck View Post
Hello all! What is the weather in Texas like this week? I am seeing warnings of flooding and thunderstorms. That will change our plans. What are all the Texas folks recommending for a route through Texas from Corrales leaving tomorrow 4/17/2016 heading for New Orleans...

Thanks !
Good morning! There is significant potential for very heavy rain and flooding but we don't yet know where the locus of it will be, and its position will make a huge difference.

The bad news is that there doesn't appear to be any route you could take to New Orleans to totally avoid it - the heavy rain bands will probably extend into Oklahoma. You will have to drive through some of it.

The good news is that a few inches of rain in Texas is a meaningless event - you just have to avoid the 8 to 10 inch "bulls eye" areas if possible, which you will hopefully be able to better constrain in real time. There is one weather forecasting and reporting source that I suggest you pay attention to above all others - and that is Eric Berger's Space City Weather blog site. Insert long, long story here about how he came to be our most trusted source. He's also on Facebook where updates can be more frequent than full blog posts.

The worst of it appears to be set to strike on Monday / Monday night (tomorrow) so hopefully this will help you plan.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
OP, I don't know how your plans evolved, but I recommend staying completely out of the greater Houston area today (Monday April 18 2016) and perhaps longer, and also staying out of the Brazos River watershed in its entirety. Some of the flooding appears as if it may end up worse than expected. Other areas of Texas are also going to be dangerous.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Trying to get to New Orleans still watching the weather

We did take a different route because of the weather warnings and wound up heading south from Corrales NM to El Paso and are heading east slowly.
Galveston looks like it is a no go, cancelled Blanco State Park as well, heading east on I10. Stayed the night at Ozona and heading towards San Antonio tomorrow.

Any advise on the weather as we try to get to Lafayette and then New Orleans?

Thanks for all the posts!

Much appreciated.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
corrales , New Mexico
Hello.

are you still in Galveston? What are the current conditions if you are?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Houston/Galveston are drying out today but more rain is expected :-(
Tough break on the weather.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Rain in that area of Texas is still expecting rain... Thru Wednesday according to current report. I would "stay put" for a couple days.. Houston still draining for a few days...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Houston will be draining for a few WEEKS. As of yesterday, the water levels in some areas were still rising and high-water rescues were still taking place in large numbers. Some bayous will not crest until later today. When this rain hit, the Brazos River rose 30 feet in less than 24 hours. Brazos Bend State Park closed on the day of the event due to the flooding, and no word on when it will re-open. Stephen F Austin State Park, where I was 3 days before this hit, will remain closed for at least the next 10 days. I knew that would happen no matter where the storms would be centered, which is why I said stay out of the Brazos River watershed in its entirety.

As of yesterday, parts of Houston were still impassable by road. We are expecting another line of squalls this afternoon, and it's not clear what that will bring.

I think Galveston Island State Park is still open, but we had extremely high tides preceding this event (Kemah Boardwalk went under water), and I don't know what shape everything is in. Furthermore the coastal waters will be high in bacteria post-flooding, so I'd be very careful about water-related activities.

Driving across Houston today would be a risky proposition, not just in terms of delays but in the potential for further flooding itself, depending on which route is taken and what happens with the weather. This has turned out to be the area's worst flooding in 15 years.