Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
McCall , Idaho
Alaska unsolicited advice.......

A lot of comments in a variety of threads referencing upcoming trips to Alaska. I’ve worked there over the years and visited recently via our sailboat in SE Alaska the toured central Alaska.

Here are some things I’d keep in mind.

Alaska is big, the highway system is small. Most RVs end up in a few spots. Seward, AK we were walking the waters edge, motor homes were wedged in there tight. People were having fun, but it was tight.

Think about Homer, AK and go fishing.

Ride the Alaska Railroad to Denali. There’s a hostel south of the park reasonably priced. Get out of your RV. Get in an airplane if you want to see Alaska. You won’t see that much from your RV. It’s different than the lower 48.

Consider going to Katmai Park and seeing the bears. Time your visit to after the salmon show up. More bears than you can count. Lodge is pricey, but we camped for 3 nights. I’m old but I’m cheap. If you want to splurge get a room, do it soon.
It’s a fly in or out from King Salmon or Kenai, Ak. No road to Katmai.

If you want to see Alaska get in a plane or a boat!

Southeast Alaska we did off our boat. The Alaska State Ferry system you’re could get certain RVs on and off hopping around SE Alaska. It’s wet take your rain gear. It’s beautiful and nothing like the rest of Alaska.

So, get out of your RV. Get into a plane or boat Often to see more of Alaska. Take a float trip go fish, you may only be here once because it will be a haul to get there.

Have fun!
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
Alaska is big, the highway system is small. Most RVs end up in a few spots. Seward, AK we were walking the waters edge, motor homes were wedged in there tight. People were having fun, but it was tight.

Think about Homer, AK and go fishing.

Ride the Alaska Railroad to Denali. There’s a hostel south of the park reasonably priced. Get out of your RV. Get in an airplane if you want to see Alaska. You won’t see that much from your RV. It’s different than the lower 48.

Consider going to Katmai Park and seeing the bears. Time your visit to after the salmon show up. More bears than you can count. Lodge is pricey, but we camped for 3 nights. I’m old but I’m cheap. If you want to splurge get a room, do it soon.
It’s a fly in or out from King Salmon or Kenai, Ak. No road to Katmai.

If you want to see Alaska get in a plane or a boat!

Southeast Alaska we did off our boat. The Alaska State Ferry system you’re could get certain RVs on and off hopping around SE Alaska. It’s wet take your rain gear. It’s beautiful and nothing like the rest of Alaska.
My son and I spent August 2018 in AK. The traffic and congestion around Anchorage and much of driving Alaska was similar to many other areas we have visited in the western U.S. When we got on a small Otter aircraft and flew to Katmai NP for 9 days, we entered another world. Vast roadless areas with the scenery and wildlife we have seen only in books and on TV. Hiking the tundra on ancient Caribou trails without another human in sight, watching and photographing dozens of bears and eagles all around us foraging for salmon while we flyfished for fresh run Silver Salmon and Rainbow Trout, and flying over some of the most pristine environment we have ever witnessed was the treat of a lifetime. It wasn't cheap, but was probably once in my lifetime and worth every penny. It was not an experience we could get RVing.

That said, my wife and I plan on taking our AS in 2021 on the slow route to Homer through the Rockies and through Canada anyway, just to see and experience the vast country and people between Ohio and Alaska. Our third and probably final journey to Alaska will be to run the coast, most likely by boat (not a cruise!) or ferry.