Old 03-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
San Juan Islands

Greg,

One of my most wonderful camping memories was taking the Washington State Ferry to the San Juan Islands. I thought I had arrived in paradise. I have some of the most beautiful pebbles collected from a wonderful beach that I still treasure after many years. They live on my dresser so I can see them every day.

I didn't take a trailer there, but others on the forum have.

Caryl

Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
I've traveled extensively in the areas you are considering. The great part of this decision is there is no wrong decision. You can't see everything but there is a lot you will enjoying seeing anywhere in the region.

I agree with other posters, all the way to Alaska is tough in your time frame. From Dawson Creek to Fairbanks pulling a trailer you will go about 45 mph, faster and you will not avoid hitting heaves and holes. So it's a long haul. Definitely look at the Alaska Alcan 2010 thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...0-a-17167.html

After being pretty burned out of seeing awesome glaciers and mountains throughout Alaska my wife and I drove the Ice Fields parkway on our return from Jasper to Lake Louise. We agreed it was truly impressive even with what we had just seen in Alaska. The pacific NW has a little more diversity in terms of cities you can visit to break the mountain/National Park only rhythm if needed.

I highly recommend going all the way to Jasper, AB and looping down. I did a 30 day trip and covered Grand Tetons to Jasper National parks. Don't miss Glacier/Waterton. 30 days was a nice pace to cover that ground.

Not sure how much you have traveled in the West. Growing up in Arkansas I was a little surprised how far apart things are in the West, look closely at distances.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #17
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
Greg,
Mike, Ralph and Caryl are right. There is no wrong way to go. Ralph and Caryl had great ideas about hitting the coast and the San Juans, then on to Sidney/Victoria, and up Vancouver Island to Pt. Hardy for the ferry to Pr. Rupert. Once there, you can take your time driving Hwy 16 east to Pr. George. As Mike suggested, then on to Mt. Robson, Jasper and Lake Louise/Banff. Then you can choose your route south to WA/Idaho/Montana--via Calgary (ugh), or Radium Hot Springs, or over to the Okanagan Valley. What a great circle tour--sea to sky!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #18
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
pienjim,

I have sent you a private message regarding maps, etc. for provincial parks and forestry campsites.

Gary
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kitimat , british columbia
Well I'm in northern BC should you take the Rupert ferry route Cleanza Creek Prov Park is a nice little park. When we pick up our AS next month (less than 30 days to go) that will be our week end get away location. Lakelse Prov Park off the road unless you want to take in the real Alcan, is beautiful, make that stunning. However on May long and other long w/e the youth tend to take that one over and it has a rep of loud long parties of young young peop's. It has a nice trail (50 min mainly flat) and fab waterfront for kids. 4 slice, are there more than a few northern bc AS?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:07 AM   #20
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
Snowey,
Congrats on the A/S purchase! There aren't too many A/S in northern BC. I've only seen two others (vintage models) in PG. Your brand new CCD will really turn heads!

What did you mean when you wrote, "Lakelse Prov Park off the road unless you want to take in the real Alcan, is beautiful..."? I take it that Lakelse is off the highway some distance, but what about "the real Alcan"?

Gary
Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
2007 25' Safari FB SE
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Wow!!!

So many great ideas. Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to respond in such detail. This has been so helpful in refining our route and most certainly leading to a more enjoyable trip.
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kitimat , british columbia
My community pride showing through, I'm refering to the Alcan smelter site, aka Rio Tinto/Alcan. They do offer tours in the summer time. That is on the same highway as Lakelse Prov park 30 minutes away (in Kitimat).
Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #23
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
10-4 Snowey,

I've been to Pr. Rupert, Terrace, and Smithers but haven't had the opportunity to visit Kitimat and Alcan. I'll hook up the A/S and head that way one of these days!

Thanks,
Gary
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #24
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Can you travel on route 1, Pacific Coast Highway towing a 30 foot airstream, was concerned about the curves. We would be heading up from southern california to Oregon. Thanks for any experience. BDE
Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
bde, you should start a new thread with your question. It may get lost on this old thread and not get as many responses as it could. I've only ever cycled the route in question, so can't really say whether a 30 foot trailer would be OK. I can think of a few areas where you'd certainly want to go very slowly.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
bde, you should start a new thread with your question. It may get lost on this old thread and not get as many responses as it could. I've only ever cycled the route in question, so can't really say whether a 30 foot trailer would be OK. I can think of a few areas where you'd certainly want to go very slowly.
Thank you and will do