Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Alaska Ferry - worth $6600 round trip?

We just made round trip reservations on the Alaska Ferry between Bellingham, Washington and Haines, Alaska (near Skagway). Not all the way to Whittier/Anchorage (which was not available for our timing), so we still have a 15+ hour drive from Haines to Tok to Anchorage. We plan to stay in Alaska for about 3 weeks before heading home (this trip is in July).

My question is for anyone who has ever done the Alaska Ferry either to or from Alaska (or both) with your RV: Is it worth $6600 round trip? That is the cost for two passengers (we are both under 65, so standard fare), our RV (24') and an outside cabin for 2.

We are thinking of just taking the ferry in one direction (north), then driving home through British Columbia on the way back (and extra 30+ hours of driving, gas, overnights, etc.). Also wondering if that Canada drive is a nice one or if it is just a spring home between gas stops?

I would appreciate any input from experienced Alaska RVers. We have a 2014 Airstream Interstate. Thanks.
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sounds like buyers remorse. Go, have fun and tell us all about your trip.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Assuming you can change your reservation without significant penalty, I would consider talking the ferry one way, and driving the other. Lots to see. Cheap dollar right now.

We have taken a ferry north and then driven south, and have also driven the length of the Alaska Highway in both directions on another trip. We weren't taking an RV on the ferry, so it wasn't that expensive. We also didn't get a cabin, we used sleeper seats. Personal preference. But I wouldn't miss the drive.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
I though 90% of the fun was doing the drive to Alaska and back. I would highly recommend driving one way and perhaps take the ferry the other way. Lots to do along the way and it would be a cheap trip with the Canadian dollar
jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Given the cheap Canadian dollar, I'd be inclined to drive both ways!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Sorry, but if you take the ferry both ways you might as well leave your RV at home and rent a car. The interesting part of this trip is the expansive country you get to see and the Alaska portion is a very small part of that.

Remember the adventure is NOT the destination, its all about the trip!

So take the ferry one way and enjoy the ride... Also if you really want to save a few $$ cancel your state room and take a tent along. Many of these operations will allow you to pitch your tent right on the deck and you will be as smug as a bug in a rug.

In closing. The landscape you will see on the Canadian side of this trip will be some of the finest in North America. So don't miss it.

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Drive it, take an Alaskan cruise later...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I agree, the Alaska Highway drive is the adventure. We drove it both ways in the summer of 1972 in a VW camper and tent with four adults and three children from two to seven years old. At that time, it was all gravel from Whitehorse to the Alaska border, now it is mostly paved. We still reminisce about that trip and can't wait to do it in our AS. So, take the Ferry up and drive back, but take your time and enjoy!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
With just 3 weeks I'd consider flying into Anchorage and renting an RV part of the time to get out and then taking a short day cruise or two from Anchorage to see the glaciers.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
We drove from NC to Eagle Alaska and back. No way I would give up the drive and the things we saw and experienced. We were on the road six weeks. I would not spend that kind of money on a boat ride. I agree with the other poster...might as well rent a car and leave the camper at home. Since you asked for opinions ...
Old 01-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I've priced Alaska cruises, because we want to do one, and they come in less than the amount you stated for similar accommodations on a ferry. My feeling is that the food on a cruise ship, which is included in the price, would be better than the food you can get on a ferry. Is that true, or am I missing something? Is the food on the ferry included in the price you quoted? As others have said, I would be inclined to drive if I want to drive, and sail if I want to sail, and not try to mix the two. My wife feels differently about this, however, which is one reason we haven't gone yet. We haven't really figured this out yet, and would welcome any input you have.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For me it is the journey. I plan on driving up, spending a couple of months and driving back. An inside cruise is on my bucket list but will be a separate trip from dragging the trailer up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Someone said " Many of these operations will allow you to pitch your tent right on the deck and you will be as smug as a bug in a rug."

Is staying in your camper against the rules? It seems a tiny bit odd that you could tent camp but not stay in your RV, especially since you are already paying to have your RV on board.

I am guessing that the ferry company and or the government, are afraid people would use propane powered utilities, and the risk of fire associated with that.

How long does the ferry ride take?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You can't stay in your camper while on the ferry. I've read sometimes they park them so close the door can't open. It's also problematic travelling with pets.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My vote would be to try to free up 2 months and drive. I have not done the ferry. We went with a WBCCI caravan and every stop was interesting. Haines was a good stop to see bears and for me to fish.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Given your available time, my take is if you want to enjoy the trip to and from 3AK, then drive one way and ferry the other. If your trip is about seeing AK, then fly up and rent Motorhome.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Staying in RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Someone said " Many of these operations will allow you to pitch your tent right on the deck and you will be as smug as a bug in a rug."

Is staying in your camper against the rules? It seems a tiny bit odd that you could tent camp but not stay in your RV, especially since you are already paying to have your RV on board.

I am guessing that the ferry company and or the government, are afraid people would use propane powered utilities, and the risk of fire associated with that.

How long does the ferry ride take?
Yes, staying in the RV is against the rules. The RV is on the car deck, which is kept clear during sailing. If you have a dog along (we will not, due to the National Park visits), you have to leave the dog in the RV and can only attend to the dog during stops or planned car deck access times (admittedly not a fun ride for the pooch).

You can camp out on deck in either tent or just a sleeping bag under the stars, and many do this. My wife would prefer a cabin and a bed. The main cost is the RV onboard, not the cabin.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the input - we will ferry one way, drive the rest

Thanks for all of the valuable input. We have decided to take the ferry one way and drive the rest (including the drive through Yukon and BC on the way home).

We have done two different Alaska cruises (with Princess and Celebrity) and it is a very different experience (balcony cabins, fine dining, etc.). And at less than half the cost. So this was both a value and a function decision for us. We would like the experience of traveling the inner passage on the ferry on the way there (we will do it northbound), then we will drive through Canada on the way back. We are flexible about timing up to 6 weeks, so we might extend our time on the back end of the trip.

I have no idea why the Alaska Ferry is so expensive vs. normal cruise lines (perhaps it is the difference between government run vs. for-profit run), but the biggest cost is for the RV onboard the ferry, which is obviously not the case with a standard cruise ship. There are no meals included and yes, you can pitch a tent or just sleep in a sleeping bag under the stars out on the deck. My wife prefers a bed, hence the cabin (which isn't a big additional expense). No, you cannot sleep in your RV onboard. Perhaps they are worried about all of the propane onboard.

Taking the ferry will be a new way to see that part of the USA (most of which isn't accessible by roads), which is a big reason for us for RVing. And yes, we do look forward to seeing more of Canada as well.

Thanks for all of the input. We really appreciate the wisdom and insights of those on this board, who have much more experience than us. We bought our RV (2014 Airstream Interstate) a year ago and we're still learning.

We are able to make a change in the first 24 hours without penalty (after that, there is a 5% charge up until 30 days before the voyage), so we can cancel the return trip at no expense. The hold time for Alaska Ferries is about an hour, since they just opened up the summer schedules
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Since you have already done the cruise, I would forgo the ferry altogether and drive both ways. We enjoyed the Alaska Highway outbound, and the Cassiar Highway on the return. I would have been sad to miss either one.

Get the Milepost, of course, plus the Church book, which we felt had better campground information.

Happy travels!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we 'did' Alaska this past Summer from AZ, drove up the AK hiway & back down the Cassiar, very different trips. We took 6 weeks just to get there, a month there, then 4 weeks back. Great trip, but difficult (IMO) to do in less time. The distances from place to place in AK are so great, it's a lot of driving.(14k on truck,11.5k on trailer) The ferry from Bellingham to Haines takes 3 1/2 days, so a big consideration if you are time challenged. Maybe 2 trips would be a better idea. Next time, we're going to put the AS on the ferry in Bellingham, get off at all the places that you can't get to any other way for a few days, then drive back down the Hiway. . . probably next year..... be safe out there, Craig