Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The area around Muncho lake to Toad River had the highest gas prices on the Alaska Hwy. in 2010. Fill up before you get near and carry extra gas.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Prices

CrawfordGene:
When you do this trip, I think you have to forget about cost and just enjoy the adventure. Some of these stops will produce great stories.
When we stopped here and Double G's for lunch and a couple loaves of bread in end of July 2008, a big bear came around the sealed garbage cans and right up to the restaurant door, sniffing all the good smells.
If the service is still the same, bacon and eggs included about 1/4# bacon, sliced potatoes and toast cut 1" thick. I was full and ready for a nap.
Can't post any pictures as they are on my old laptop.
We met here a couple that had also been at GERTIES in Dawson City and recognized me after seeing me performing with the dance girls on stage. (not my idea! You had to be there)
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
We met here a couple that had also been at GERTIES in Dawson City and recognized me after seeing me performing with the dance girls on stage. (not my idea! You had to be there)
Dave

You can't just drop a teaser like that without telling the story!!!

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #24
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Did someone mention Muncho Lake?

I agree about fuel costs; it's just part of the experience. Just be sure to fill up before heading to a remote place.

As for Muncho Lake, this is our site at the McDonald CG, part of the Provincial Park. This is about a half hour from Liard Hot Springs (from which we bailed early due to hordes of mosquitoes).

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0133.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	122501  

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Diamond Tooth Gerties

Dawson City is an entertaining stop-over on your northern expedition.
This CG is downtown and within walking distance of everything in the city. It is in the front center of this shot just over the trees.

GoldRush Campground - Index Page

Reservations may be needed as I believe the music festival is on July 15-17 2011. It gets very busy at this time.
Welcome to the Dawson City Music Festival site

Long - long days in June, July, make for great entertainment on the banks of the Yukon River, and especially in the evenings. Be sure to take your better half with you to Diamond Tooth Gerties so that she will know how that lipstick gets on your cheek.
Great food, music, ENTERTAINMENT, gambling, and of course GIRLS.
Lots of Utube clips, so I won't post my dance shots here!
Something different is always remembered.
Have a great trip.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
You can't just drop a teaser like that without telling the story!!!
Quote:
Jay
Old 02-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
CrawfordGene:
When you do this trip, I think you have to forget about cost and just enjoy the adventure.
Just about every day we were on the Alaska Hwy someone told us about the gas prices in that area being the highest they'd ever seen. No use spending money you don't have to. We bring extra gas just in case we can't find gas or we have to go through an area where prices are extra high. We make sure we have a full tank and gas cans before we enter Canada too.

Any trip to Alaska is expensive and so long as we take our house with us, we can save on dining and lodging but our fuel expenses increase.

We enjoyed the adventure and saved a little from time to time on fuel. They are not mutually exclusive. Glad you enjoyed your breakfast.

Gene
Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Dawson City Yukon

Just make sure you get out of Dawson City before freeze up.
Dawson City Yukon
Current Conditions

-27 °C

Observed at: Dawson Airport Date: 10:00 AM PST Friday 18 February 2011
  • Condition: Cloudy Pressure: 102.5 kPa Tendency: falling Visibility: 32 km
  • Temperature: -27.1°C Dewpoint: -29.9°C Humidity: 77 % Wind: WSW 5 km/h Wind Chill: -32

Forecast

Today

• <LI class=high title=High>-23°C <LI class=low>
  • 30%
Sat

• <LI class=high title=High>-20°C <LI class=low title=Low>-27°C
Sun

• <LI class=high title=High>-21°C <LI class=low title=Low>-32°C
Mon

• <LI class=high title=High>-14°C <LI class=low title=Low>-24°C
Tue

• <LI class=high title=High>-17°C <LI class=low title=Low>-26°C
Wed

• <LI class=high title=High>-20°C <LI class=low title=Low>-36°C
Thu

• <LI class=high title=High>-18°C <LI class=low title=Low>-36°C
Issued : 11:00 AM PST Friday 18 February 2011
Today Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. High minus 23. Tonight Cloudy. 30 percent chance of flurries this evening. Periods of snow beginning near midnight. Amount 2 cm. Low minus 27. Saturday Periods of light snow ending late in the afternoon then clearing. High minus 20. Sunday Sunny. Low minus 32. High minus 21. Monday A mix of sun and cloud. Low minus 24. High minus 14. Tuesday Sunny. Low minus 26. High minus 17. Wednesday Sunny. Low minus 36. High minus 20. Thursday Sunny. Low minus 36. High minus 18.

Any trip to Alaska is expensive and so long as we take our house with us, we can save on dining and lodging but our fuel expenses increase.

We enjoyed the adventure and saved a little from time to time on fuel. They are not mutually exclusive. Glad you enjoyed your breakfast.

Gene[/QUOTE]
Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Today is a grey, damp, cold, windy day - the perfect day to do a little research on all these suggestions and then plunk the ones we didn't already have listed into our mapping software - the map is starting to light up like a Christmas tree - some real gems here!

Thanks again - this cannot help but be a great trip!

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 02-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Today is a grey, damp, cold, windy day

Thanks again - this cannot help but be a great trip!

Jay
Same weather here, though probably warmer (we just had some thunder and heavy rain—it's not supposed to rain in Colorado in February). It hard not to have a wonderful time on a trip to Alaska and NW Canada. Not matter how long you take, it's never enough, but you'll be really glad to get home too.

Gene
Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
A final thanks for all the advice - the trip has just finished - and what a trip it was .... some 4,000 pictures later there is no question that future road trips will have a tough act to follow.....

We had put many of the spots suggested through this thread on our "list" of places to see or things to do - we hit most of them - but not all .... two we regret missing were Kennicott and Telegraph Creek (rain and fog on both days) ..... maybe they will be our hook to return .....

A couple of the real gems included the Toaster Museum in Stewart B.C. (thanks Gene - it was closed - but we had a hoot anyway just looking through the windows - even got some reasonable pictures) - and also the George Johnston Museum in Teslin.

Our biggest memories? It would be tough to make a short list - Muncho Lake Provincial Park (BC), Frantic Follies, Dawson City, Tombstone Mountains, Top of the World, Denali, Homer, Kenai Fjords National Park, Valdez, Haines (the bears), Skagway, Beaver Creek, Kluane Lake, Cassiar highway, Stewart/Hyder, Banff, Jasper, the Prairies (going and coming), the Corner Gas set (might have to be Canadian to understand this one) ...... every single spot had its own attraction and its own set of adventure ......

I've posted a few of the the "Airstream" themed pictures in the Photo section under Members Photos - title is Road Trip 2011 - Alaska.

Thanks again,

Jay

(Oscar Wilde)
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. If you post the 4,000 photos on this thread at 4 per post, only 1,000 posts to get them all.

The Toaster Museum was closed when we were there too. Someday we will get inside….

Gene

Tags
alaska, travel, yukon