Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia
Alaska

Anyone going to Alaska this year in a caravan?
RoccoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
2012 or 2013? It is going to get cold up thee fairly soon.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia

Sorry - should have specified 2013.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
We are also planning a trip to in 2013. We are expecting to take the inside passage up in late May and June.
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We are headed up early in 13...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia
With reference to the inside passage trip - do you have any details as to how that will be done?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
BC Ferries runs from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert via the Inside Passage.

Washington State Ferries/Alaska Ferries also has several ports of departure in Washington and B.C.

It's very expensive with a trailer. Looked at the BC Ferries site - a 27' trailer with driver/passenger during peak season would be about $1,200 one way on the day cruise. If you book the over-nighter you won't see anything.

You can take a cruise ship cheaper than that - a lot cheaper!

If you have the urge and money is no object, it would be a once-in-a-lifetime Airstream adventure.
PhotosCanada.com Gallery :: BC Ferries Inside Passage Cruise Photos, Port Hardy To Prince Rupert, British Columbia Stock Photos
Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
GaRoc

2011 27 FB International
Dawsonville , Georgia
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Having driven to Alaska and back twice, in '08 and '10, I would advise anyone interested in driving up to not go until at least July. If you go in late May or June, the roads will not be in the best shape because they will not have had much time to repair them from the winter freeze, and also the later in the year you go, the fewer the mosquitoes. If you can delay the trip until your return is in September, you will get to see the fall colors up there.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Having driven to Alaska and back twice, in '08 and '10, I would advise anyone interested in driving up to not go until at least July. If you go in late May or June, the roads will not be in the best shape because they will not have had much time to repair them from the winter freeze, and also the later in the year you go, the fewer the mosquitoes. If you can delay the trip until your return is in September, you will get to see the fall colors up there.

This is a good point on the roads, especially the Ak Highway in the Yukon seems to be really bad right after breakup. And yes there are fewer mosquitoes in August and September. You will also want to consider the weather and what you want to do when you get here.

If you want to salmon fish check the run timing on the ADFG website and make some calls. In most places the peak for each species is only a few weeks long.

A couple of tibbits on weather. I am mostly speaking about things here in the Interior but generally they are true statewide. Late May thru the first half of July is the warmest time. Late May and early June are usually before the peak of mosquito season. The ice doesn't go out of the lakes around here until mid May and not until early June farther north and south of here at higher elevations. July and August are the wettest months with more mountain views obscured. This is also true along the coast. I.e. early summer the dryest and August wet. We went to Valdez 3 times for salmon in late July thru August and it rained some every trip and almost constant rain on the last trip in late August. In Fairbanks we get our first frost around the third week of Aug and colors peak not much after labor day, and as I write this from my office, the leaves are all gone.

Hope this helps.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Remember, you are not allowed to stay in your trailer while on this cruise.

Unless the rules have changed, that was a sleep on deck trip for me a few years ago.

Nice trip, but if you have a camper, you like to camp.

Dave

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisen View Post
A couple of tibbits on weather. I am mostly speaking about things here in the Interior but generally they are true statewide. Late May thru the first half of July is the warmest time. Late May and early June are usually before the peak of mosquito season. The ice doesn't go out of the lakes around here until mid May and not until early June farther north and south of here at higher elevations. July and August are the wettest months with more mountain views obscured. This is also true along the coast. I.e. early summer the dryest and August wet. We went to Valdez 3 times for salmon in late July thru August and it rained some every trip and almost constant rain on the last trip in late August. In Fairbanks we get our first frost around the third week of Aug and colors peak not much after labor day, and as I write this from my office, the leaves are all gone.

Hope this helps.
What day is summer?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Hi, we went last year and left home on July 1st. We were gone for 50 days, came back home in August. One of the roads that we were going to take was closed because it was washed away. The road that we did take was being repaired with gravel. Be prepaired to get dinged, we did. [even with protective covering] We also had to fight the mosquitoes too, mostly on our way up. On the way back, all of the roads were repaired and like new.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #14
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
This is all good information.
I'm planning to go, but not until I retire, so it's going to be a few years. I was planning on May to Sept. I've been told there is just too much to see if you don't stay the whole season.
I was thinking about the ferry,, until now.
We'll take a cruise before I spend that much with hauling the trailer.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote