Old 04-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
There was a story on the local news about this tonight. They said that the first round of closures could happen within 2 weeks. As such, we are heading up to Desoto on Monday on our way to Standing Indian Campground in NC.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Closing Alabama State Parks that are not profitable for the state looks good for the state's bottom line.
But so many of the smaller campgrounds are beautiful and quiet and would be sorely missed if closed.
In the past for us,
Camping with a young family of five children during many of our early marriage years was our only vacation.
A tent , sleeping bags, and a ice chest,and a couple of fishing poles.. It was less than two hundred dollars invested in camping gear, which was a lot when a dinner out to for hamburgers was a rare treat.
Alabama State Parks gave our family so many good memories while we were on a limited income. It seems a shame that other young families may not have the same
Opportunity.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:01 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I hope y'all are calling your local legislators and relaying all these thoughts.

They should know how their constituents feel.

Maggie
Old 04-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They might close them for a short time but there will be a voter backlash and they will be opened again. Remember Alabama is not at the top of the list as far as environmental concerns and preserving nature. 90% of those who visit the parks on weekend are yahoos who just want to party and watch sports on their big TV's. Yes and they have to have a pack of barking dogs to top it off. The problem with taxes is they don't want the voters to have any say on how it is spent.

Perry
Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Perry, sadly you are pretty much spot on. It is the same in Mississippi state parks. For that reason I try to stay away on weekends and holidays. Bunch of red neck drunks with their barking dogs and screaming kids.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Generally, the company running the park for the state would pay for the privilege. The parks that are being considered for closure are underperforming and are a drag on the system taking funds from other areas just to keep them open and operating. If a private concern can do it on a lease basis, pay the state for the privilege and turn a profit, I am all for that.
That's what's happening in Texas with the conversion of some existing right of ways into toll roads. In some cases, eminent-domain has condemned private property to accomplish road-building of public roads, which later have been turned into toll-roads run by private businesses for profit. I consider that wrongful.
In some cases, private land was donated for public parks, and the ownership of the land comes into question when private business takes it over. The state stands to lose the donation forever.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
In 2008, Mississippi had budget cuts. It was announced and printed in the newspapers that George Payne Cossar State Park was closed. The park was never closed. They did close the restaurant and swimming pool, but the rest of the facilities- disc golf, miniature golf, meeting room, cabins, and campground- remained open. George Payne Cossar is one of the nicest and most visited state parks- possibly the nicest and most visited in North Mississippi. People from the north of the state and Memphis, TN enjoy crappie fishing at George Payne Cossar State Park situated on the south side of Enid Lake.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Vintage Kin Owner
Katy , Texas
Hey mrprez,

This may be getting off topic but I was curious about your comment in post #6 about leaving Mobile. Can identify with the sentiment. Lived in Tuscaloosa a number of years (ROLL TIDE!) and still have family in North Alabama, but no longer think I'll be coming home to Alabama for retirement. The area along the Tennessee River is very pretty but the State doesn't seem to have a focus on any quality of life issues. Too bad.

Texas is getting the same way, ever growing base of intolerance against everything.

My question is were are you going to? I keep looking for a state to retire to that is affordable, safe, temperate climate and concerned about its population: old and young, rich and poor. Would prefer eastern US.

Thanks for your thoughts and good luck!

Bob
Old 04-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We are going to full time for a few years. After that, we don't know. Eastern TN is high on my list but things change as we get older. Extremes in hot and cold weather really take a toll so we might have to have 2 places.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Generally, the company running the park for the state would pay for the privilege. The parks that are being considered for closure are underperforming and are a drag on the system taking funds from other areas just to keep them open and operating. If a private concern can do it on a lease basis, pay the state for the privilege and turn a profit, I am all for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
Private business works on a profit margin. Anything run by government is dependant on the taxpayer supplied trough. Sal
So... the usergroup (public taxpayer) gets soaked twice... his own publicly owned property costs him more to utilize ...so somebody can make more money off the public.... and somehow that's not as bad as gov't run operations?
Old 04-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
You have to pay to use the parks regardless of who is running them. They point that you are missing is that if the state can't run them, they go away and nobody gets to use them.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
A question, if I may… Does the State of Alabama use volunteer labor to man the entry gate and do chores like trash pickup?

Corps of Engineers uses volunteers at their campgrounds, and it's a viable way to reduce operating expenses versus training and paying a small army of park rangers. The volunteer camp hosts get a free campsite for a three-month season and no other remuneration. However, while CoE camp hosts do a lot of the chores, they don't do plumbing or electrical repair and don't do custodial work in the bathrooms. A free campsite alone doesn't get you a qualified plumber or electrician, and doesn't get you a janitor. Those tasks are contracted out.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
The sate of Alabama does use camp hosts and volunteers.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
A shame if they carry through with the closing I hope it is just politics and not a serious consideration.

We camp at Joe Wheeler every year it is always full on week-ends but probably does not make money in the winter.