Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
We airstream with one cat in a tiny "Basecamp." When traveling, he is in a Studi-Shelter (Double Car-Go Pet Shelter – Sturdi Products) in the cargo area of our Land Rover (with a litter box in one side and his bed on the other side, with the zipper partition unzipped enough that he can go from one side to the other). Once we get where we are going and get the Basecamp ready for "living," we move the Studi-Shelter inside (same set-up with litter box and bed). The Studi-Shelter contains any litter that he happens to have on his paws after using the litter box, and we both like the "privacy" of not having the litter box out in the open. We never have any problems with odor. It works great for us! (We also use a top-entry litterbox....great product for keeping litter contained for those cats who are extreme litter scratchers. (Amazon.com : Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox : Litter Boxes : Pet Supplies)
basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Chris says that Chibi and KatyCat will not use an enclosed litter box, so I guess that idea is out of the question. He did have one of those Trunks with the litter box inside and I do remember Chibi peeing on the rug outside occasionally once the trunk became really smelly after a few months. Chris does not seem to smell these odors at all. I know I have an overly sensitive nose, but he smells nothing at all when it comes to pet odors. He doesn't even notice my dog's odors, which is odd because he never had the chance to get used to them until recently.

So no one had any ideas on how to keep kittehs off of the counters/tables? I know cats are smart, why can they not be trained?
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
We all know that cats are not fond of getting wet. One training method you might try is a spray bottle filled with water. Adjust the nozzle to a narrow stream. When the cat does something you'd like to train him/her to avoid, squirt them with a little water. It takes just enough water for them to notice it, so you don't have to cause damage to your furnishings.

Cats are smart, and they definitely can be trained.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2060 View Post
We full time with 2 cats. I modified the outdoor storage area in our 27' FB to hold a litter pan.
This is genius. When we get another cat one day, this is the kind of solution we will look for in our Classic with Twins. With 3 outdoor storage areas, we should have a shot at making this work. Maybe the lower part of the center nightstand leads to the rear storage...
FreshAirStmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
We all know that cats are not fond of getting wet. One training method you might try is a spray bottle filled with water. Adjust the nozzle to a narrow stream. When the cat does something you'd like to train him/her to avoid, squirt them with a little water. It takes just enough water for them to notice it, so you don't have to cause damage to your furnishings.

Cats are smart, and they definitely can be trained.
Cats are climbers by nature, so it's hard to keep them from trying to get into/on higher places like the table. Besides that's where you are, so that's the place to go for affection. Supply an alternative that they can use as a refuge. We leave overhead compartment above the bed open with a couple of towels in it. The cat/cats would jump up there to sleep or to have a perch to watch the world from.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
The squirt bottle is a doable item, once we are back on the road and Chibi and KatyCat come back inside I will give it a try. We actually have been talking about where to put a perch or perches for them. I don't want them to climb into all the clean bedding on the new shelf that Chris built, so they will need their very own special perches, one for each at least. And we are talking about getting an outdoor tent/cage for them and making an access tube through where the furnace use to be by the front door. We want to build a platform on that side of the Airstream there that would fold up when we are driving, and then fold down again when we are parked. It would be securely caged and the litter box could be set there. This would take care of odors, give the kitties a bit of the outdoors, and free up the shower. Speaking of showers, we need to get new fans in those vents, the ones we have now make horrible screaming noises as if they were in great pain.

Thank you to everyone who answered and had suggestions!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Sliding Door !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2060 View Post
We full time with 2 cats. I modified the outdoor storage area in our 27' FB to hold a litter pan. Half of it still holds all the tow equipment, tools, etc and the other half is for the litter pan and accessories. I installed a sliding door to keep them inside when hooking up tow vehicle, cleaning pan, etc. Works great for us and "mostly" keeps the smells outside if you clean regularly.

Now that sliding door is the bomb ! Or more specifically, the 'bomb' is on the other side of the sliding door. That is an excellent idea.
I sure hope you don't mind if I borrow that idea for our cat Natasha. She likes privacy.
I already have a sheet of heavy plastic over that storage area and under the plywood for the bed frame to keep outside things in the storage separated from the bedroom area.
Great idea ' Violet2060' ,

Best regards
rob
Old 11-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Help!

My rescue cat, Blackie hate, hate, hates the new trailer (2015 25' FB FC). After hanging out for a few afternoons, we spent a night in the driveway, litter box under the bed, Feliway diffusers going full blast - no joy. Poor guy cried all night. Did an overnighter in the local state park, same deal, found poor kitty hunched in the litter box, trembling. It was the only familiar scent in the trailer. He was miserable the entire time.

How do I get him used to fulltiming? I'm leaving for points unknown in the spring and I'll have to rehome him to a friend of mine if I can't get him to accept living in the trailer. How did you acclimate your cats?

He's pretty skittish, having been a street cat for many years after possibly being turned out from previous owners. I'm slowly getting him to relax, but the trailer is way over the top right now. Thanks in advance for any nuggets of wisdom you can provide!
Powerarrangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We got our cat from some friends of friends about an hour away from where we lived at the time. We played with her a bit so we got used to our voices, then put her in a cat carrier for the trip home. She talked a bit at first, and we answered her, so pretty soon she fell asleep. She's now four years old and still has the same carrier. When we had the mpg she rode in the carrier strapped in the center of the back seat. Now, with the motor home, we just tuck the carrier in a safe place. If we take a lunch break we let her out.

Missie has always been an indoor cat since we got her. The last time she tried going outside it was rain mixed with snow. She came back in immediately.

We have used the spray bottle to train her to avoid the counters. As you said, cats are smart. She knows that when we're asleep in bed we won't notice her on the counter. Of course, she doesn't know that black hairs show up quite well on white countertops.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:17 AM   #30
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I've got 3 cats at 20, 18 and 8. They seem to do ok in our couple trips. i bought them all kitty holster vests and that seems to chill them out. they mostly sleep so far on the road.

THANKSGIVING AIRSTREAMING - 180 sq/ft-My Journey to a Simpler & Sustainable Life

dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by labtopia View Post
I've got 3 cats at 20, 18 and 8. They seem to do ok in our couple trips. i bought them all kitty holster vests and that seems to chill them out. they mostly sleep so far on the road.

THANKSGIVING AIRSTREAMING - 180 sq/ft-My Journey to a Simpler & Sustainable Life

dave
Kitty Holster Vests?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerarrangr View Post
My rescue cat, Blackie hate, hate, hates the new trailer (2015 25' FB FC). After hanging out for a few afternoons, we spent a night in the driveway, litter box under the bed, Feliway diffusers going full blast - no joy. Poor guy cried all night. Did an overnighter in the local state park, same deal, found poor kitty hunched in the litter box, trembling. It was the only familiar scent in the trailer. He was miserable the entire time.

How do I get him used to fulltiming? I'm leaving for points unknown in the spring and I'll have to rehome him to a friend of mine if I can't get him to accept living in the trailer. How did you acclimate your cats?

He's pretty skittish, having been a street cat for many years after possibly being turned out from previous owners. I'm slowly getting him to relax, but the trailer is way over the top right now. Thanks in advance for any nuggets of wisdom you can provide!
It's an acclimation thing, and takes time. Some kitties take less time, some take more time.

We have two cats, Chibi and KatyCat. Both of them do fine inside of the Airstream, it's just another home to them, as long as daddy is there, or even I will do, everything is Kosher. Then the AS begins moving, Chibi yowls as if someone is strangling her and this continues for HOURS. The AS stops and the yowling stops, it goes and the yowling begins. The second day traveling is better, shorter period of yowling. By the third day Chibi is acclimated and riding on the dashboard. KayCat just runs for the smallest space she can cram herself into and hides until the AS stops. By the third day she is sleeping on top of the bed and watching out the window. I guess I can be grateful that my Turbo dog LOVES riding ANYWHERE with us, lolz.

The litter box sits in the shower and only comes out when someone needs to use the shower. Cats are fine with this arrangement and have no problem using it. We already knew that they will refuse to use an enclosed space for a litter box, so that was never an option for us. *sad face* My biggest concern was that the litter box NEVER EVER sit in the kitchen/living/eating area. We find the shower to work best and it has a fan. Chris and I found an excellent litter that clumps and holds back the smell for two cats exceptionally well. I've a very sensitive nose, ugh. I'll post the namebrand when I can get a look at it.

The kitties love to hide/sleep in places that are small when they are scared, they also simply ADORE the smell of Chris's dirty clothing. After all, it smells like daddy! They may go off feed when traveling the first day or three. You can try giving them treats or very special canned foods, but don't push it, vomiting usually happens. If you have a trailer, then they might like traveling in the car with you in carriers better, then transfer them to the trailer when you get to your destination. We have an AS motorhome, on the last trip I got a folding soft sided carrier out of storage for Chibi and she climbed into it before I had it half undone for her. She quieted down very quickly. Again, small places. We used to have this little item for inside the carrier, (we bought bigger carriers for when we made long trips in a truck), both kittys LOVED this item:
Whisker City® Animal Print Enclosed Cat Bed | Beds | PetSmart

Well I hope that your Blackie is doing much better, but if she isn't, then I hope that anything I've had to offer is found helpful.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #33
LABTOPIA

1958 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Kitty Holster Vests?
Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!

they each have one and they're easy to put on and they seem to like them and calm down getting them into the TV. I've had other harnesses in the past but these are far easier and more comfortable (cat cant strangle on these).
http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/wp-co...852725_HDR.jpg
http://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/wp-co...140367_HDR.jpg
WALKING THE CATS - 180 sq/ft-My Journey to a Simpler & Sustainable Life

also i got a huge litterbox for the 3 and it tucks in under the flip out galley cutting board, they also have been known to hang out and rest under the bed in the back, lots of space i cant really use but they can.

dave
Dave Ballard - Full Time Airstreamer WBCCI #4276
https://180sqft.drinkertoys.com/ READ MY AIRSTREAM BLOG
Electric Unicycle Rider (SBU)
labtopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Wow, thanks for all of the great replies!

Blackie has a Kitty Holster (they are the absolute bomb, BTW) but he hasn't acclimated very well. If you've ever stuck masking tape down a cat's back, that's Blackie's reaction to the KH. His 'frog brain' thinks he's stuck under something and he gets very stressed out. My previous cat, Perseus, took to it like a duck to water, but he loved going outside for walks. Blackie is more of a scaredy cat and is terrified of the KH. Treats are no panacea here. He had a really rough time of it on the outside and he may never recover fully.

I think the 'new Airstream smell' is what sets him off in the trailer. I try to make the trailer smell like home as much as possible (dirty laundry, bedspread, etc.) and have the Feliway going, but even airing out the trailer beforehand doesn't help. Even though I can't really smell it after a day of airing, it's still there. Cats are territorial and like familiar places.

Now the trailer is at Colonial for warranty work and I have a big trip planned at the end of January, so there's no time. I already talked to my buddy who wants another black cat and he's excited to bring Blackie home after the holidays. I'm working hard to get him a little more socialized until then. At least he'll have a good home - buddy's a cat guy.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Thanks for coming back in and updating us. Better that Blackie be happy, but I know you will miss him. Maybe you can get a kitten and acclimate it to the AS from the gitgo. It won't be Blackie, but it will be a kitty to love.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I endorse the kitty holster, as well. Ordered one in the safety yellow for the cat who travels with us. I put it on him whenever we go outside at home, so I can keep an eye on him - he walks around the yard, but will wander off if not watched. If I can't pay attention, or expect to be distracted by some task, I tie an 8 foot piece of light cord to the kitty holster that he pulls behind him. If I lose sight of him, I find the cord leading under a bush or behind the shed.
Black cats are cool. They are serious, and smart, like black labs. I miss mine.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What is kitty packin'?
Or is it for you to tote kitty on your hip?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My black cat, Aurora, was the best cat ever!
She died 12/14/2014.
She was my best friend and companion and really travelled well.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Oh man, don't even get me started on Perseus - he and I were soul mates! Miss him acutely. But it's true that black cats have distinct personalities, as do torties and others. He'll be quite happy living with Loran and the gang of three (soon to be four).

I won't go searching for a furry buddy right away - but if a waif needs rescuing things could change. They pick you, right?
Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What is kitty packin'?
Or is it for you to tote kitty on your hip?

Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!