Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We are in route to delivering my sisters Maine Coon kitten from AR to AZ, my four Boxers are VERY INTERESTED....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1443586288.946687.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	249371

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:08 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St Paul , MN
Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Airstreaming with 2 cats and 1 Kelpie Dog. Haven't really figured it out yet, it's been hit or miss. Currently Chibi and KatyCat are with his Mom in the house and Turbo goes with us in the Airstream. I have a real problem with the litter box when the cats are in the Airstream, it reeks to high heaven even though Chris keeps it clean. And can anyone tell me how you keep cats off of the counters, stoves and tables? I have a problem with animals on food prep/eating/cooking surfaces, that's just plain nasty.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
We are in route to delivering my sisters Maine Coon kitten from AR to AZ, my four Boxers are VERY INTERESTED....

Attachment 249371

Brevi tempore!
It appears to me that that Fierce Feline is Queen of the Trailer!

Fabulous photo!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Lol, they are bowing before the king...

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
In the past, cats were worshipped as gods by the ancient Egyptians. The cats have never forgotten this...😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
We airstream with one cat in a tiny "Basecamp." When traveling, he is in a Studi-Shelter (Double Car-Go Pet Shelter – Sturdi Products) in the cargo area of our Land Rover (with a litter box in one side and his bed on the other side, with the zipper partition unzipped enough that he can go from one side to the other). Once we get where we are going and get the Basecamp ready for "living," we move the Studi-Shelter inside (same set-up with litter box and bed). The Studi-Shelter contains any litter that he happens to have on his paws after using the litter box, and we both like the "privacy" of not having the litter box out in the open. We never have any problems with odor. It works great for us! (We also use a top-entry litterbox....great product for keeping litter contained for those cats who are extreme litter scratchers. (Amazon.com : Clevercat Top Entry Litterbox : Litter Boxes : Pet Supplies)
Old 10-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Chris says that Chibi and KatyCat will not use an enclosed litter box, so I guess that idea is out of the question. He did have one of those Trunks with the litter box inside and I do remember Chibi peeing on the rug outside occasionally once the trunk became really smelly after a few months. Chris does not seem to smell these odors at all. I know I have an overly sensitive nose, but he smells nothing at all when it comes to pet odors. He doesn't even notice my dog's odors, which is odd because he never had the chance to get used to them until recently.

So no one had any ideas on how to keep kittehs off of the counters/tables? I know cats are smart, why can they not be trained?

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
We all know that cats are not fond of getting wet. One training method you might try is a spray bottle filled with water. Adjust the nozzle to a narrow stream. When the cat does something you'd like to train him/her to avoid, squirt them with a little water. It takes just enough water for them to notice it, so you don't have to cause damage to your furnishings.

Cats are smart, and they definitely can be trained.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:36 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2060 View Post
We full time with 2 cats. I modified the outdoor storage area in our 27' FB to hold a litter pan.
This is genius. When we get another cat one day, this is the kind of solution we will look for in our Classic with Twins. With 3 outdoor storage areas, we should have a shot at making this work. Maybe the lower part of the center nightstand leads to the rear storage...
Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
We all know that cats are not fond of getting wet. One training method you might try is a spray bottle filled with water. Adjust the nozzle to a narrow stream. When the cat does something you'd like to train him/her to avoid, squirt them with a little water. It takes just enough water for them to notice it, so you don't have to cause damage to your furnishings.

Cats are smart, and they definitely can be trained.
Cats are climbers by nature, so it's hard to keep them from trying to get into/on higher places like the table. Besides that's where you are, so that's the place to go for affection. Supply an alternative that they can use as a refuge. We leave overhead compartment above the bed open with a couple of towels in it. The cat/cats would jump up there to sleep or to have a perch to watch the world from.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
The squirt bottle is a doable item, once we are back on the road and Chibi and KatyCat come back inside I will give it a try. We actually have been talking about where to put a perch or perches for them. I don't want them to climb into all the clean bedding on the new shelf that Chris built, so they will need their very own special perches, one for each at least. And we are talking about getting an outdoor tent/cage for them and making an access tube through where the furnace use to be by the front door. We want to build a platform on that side of the Airstream there that would fold up when we are driving, and then fold down again when we are parked. It would be securely caged and the litter box could be set there. This would take care of odors, give the kitties a bit of the outdoors, and free up the shower. Speaking of showers, we need to get new fans in those vents, the ones we have now make horrible screaming noises as if they were in great pain.

Thank you to everyone who answered and had suggestions!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Sliding Door !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2060 View Post
We full time with 2 cats. I modified the outdoor storage area in our 27' FB to hold a litter pan. Half of it still holds all the tow equipment, tools, etc and the other half is for the litter pan and accessories. I installed a sliding door to keep them inside when hooking up tow vehicle, cleaning pan, etc. Works great for us and "mostly" keeps the smells outside if you clean regularly.

Now that sliding door is the bomb ! Or more specifically, the 'bomb' is on the other side of the sliding door. That is an excellent idea.
I sure hope you don't mind if I borrow that idea for our cat Natasha. She likes privacy.
I already have a sheet of heavy plastic over that storage area and under the plywood for the bed frame to keep outside things in the storage separated from the bedroom area.
Great idea ' Violet2060' ,

Best regards
rob
Old 11-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Glen Burnie , Maryland
Help!

My rescue cat, Blackie hate, hate, hates the new trailer (2015 25' FB FC). After hanging out for a few afternoons, we spent a night in the driveway, litter box under the bed, Feliway diffusers going full blast - no joy. Poor guy cried all night. Did an overnighter in the local state park, same deal, found poor kitty hunched in the litter box, trembling. It was the only familiar scent in the trailer. He was miserable the entire time.

How do I get him used to fulltiming? I'm leaving for points unknown in the spring and I'll have to rehome him to a friend of mine if I can't get him to accept living in the trailer. How did you acclimate your cats?

He's pretty skittish, having been a street cat for many years after possibly being turned out from previous owners. I'm slowly getting him to relax, but the trailer is way over the top right now. Thanks in advance for any nuggets of wisdom you can provide!