Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Hmmm...I think the 'value' of Twitter is the Networking that's possible for one to be a part of...not in some mindless back-and-forth 'tweeting' as mentioned above - sounds like some teenagers...

If you are interested in a particular subject, News, RVing, Politics, etc., etc...you can search for someone in your particular area of interest...

You can then 'follow' that person or entity to see what they are posting, and since it's only a limited number of characters, it's easy to scan for stuff you might be interested...

When 'following' someone, you can also see all the people they are 'following', as well to see if there is another person or entity you would also be interested in checking out...

As you 'follow' others, you will be notified that someone else wants to follow you, a 'follower' which you have the choice of accepting or blocking as you see fit...

If you are on a road trip in your AS, you might want to file your updates on Twitter each day, to let all your friends and 'followers' what's the latest in your adventures...

You will find any number of entities using Twitter to let you know what services and products they are promoting...they will have a short message and then a website URL to click on if you're interested...

You can also send/receive private messages to/from other followers for special info, etc...

Once you have a number of 'followers', you will all kinds of different short messages, and not the mindless banter I noted above, unless that's what you want to do...it's up to you how your structure your Home page...

Give it a try...join in or just read the mail....
Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I guess I don't "get it" when it comes to Twitter.

So the point is to post your answer to "What are you doing?" in 240 characters or less...

If/when someone replies...aren't all the answers the same? "I'm posting on Twitter"

Shari
So the point is to post your answer to "What are you doing?" in 240 characters or less...

If/when someone replies...aren't all the answers the same? "I'm posting on Twitter"

Shari [/QUOTE]

I am Safari3601 on Twitter. I believe it is a 140 characters. I felt the same way you did but not to be one to give in to getting older, not meaning you are getting older I mean me. I decided to see what was up. I am surprised at how clean twitter is and you control that by who you follow. I don't tweet much but do follow a number of interesting people. I have added the ones listed in this group of course. I follow the Governor of our State Bobby Jindal who has put out some information about our state and H1N1 and other important topics. I follow a few self styled political pundits, a few tech show hosts and some people that just interest me. I saw an interesting tattoo of a Airstream today thanks to Jaime, I know Rob Baker polished on a 64 Trade Wind today. One person I follow posted a link to what I consider an inappropriate site so I don't follow her anymore. Twitter is some what like the forums were like for many people when they first started what is this and how do I use it, what dose it provide for me? The only way to answer the questions is start using it and see where it takes you. I am finding twitter useful I followed Jazz Fest using twitter I knew where all the bands were playing at night and where many of my friends would be going, someone posted a link to a live stream of the Jazz Fest closing act which I was able to watch full screen in my living room, not bad, as always your YMMV.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:02 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
Twitter or "Micro Blogging" is certainly not for everyone just like blogging or running a website is not. One thing I find useful is that once you follow someone (a friend or associate) and they in turn follow you, you can then communicate using a direct message versus a public message. Just click on the right side and select Direct Message, then select a user from the pull down menu and now your message will be hidden from the other followers and the general public.

Please Note: Goggle is indexing all public posts on Twitter, so be sure to not post anything that you would not want read by strangers. And hey, lets have fun out there!
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #24
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Just regis. as CapNRed. Being a nosey old goat. Just to see how it goes
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, social network