Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Cincinnnati , Ohio
Thumbs up Airstreamers Giving Back?

Hi,
As we approach retirement, we are excited about taking our 2009 out a lot more and exploring states we have never been to.
We are so blessed to even have an Airstream and feel we should use it on our journeys here and there, to give back. What that even looks like, we do not know. We are both in fairly good physical shape and have worked hard our entire marriage.
Has anyone out there done something with their time to give back where needed? Is there an Organization or someone we could talk to?
Thanks!!
Kathleen Benken
KathleenBenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
You can check out "Habitat Caravaners" on the google. We have several friends that travel around on builds. In fact, one is from Columbus.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
RV Care-A-Vanners with Habitat for Humanity: RV Care-A-Vanners | Habitat for Humanity Int'l
Old 10-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I am into helping when and where I can. Random acts of kindness are all good. The concept of "giving back" sticks in my craw. It implies that I took something that wasn't earned and now have to make amends. I am a Scouter and I volunteer but I consider it investing in the community. I'm not giving anything back because I don't owe anything.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Give what you can, when you can, wherever you can.....be it a kind word, a smile, a bit of help, an offer of a meal, a sack of crocheted hats in winter donated to the nearest shelter or soup kitchen .

It doesn't have to be something structured or organized, tho of course can be....just do something.

That's what I think.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Check out volunteer.gov. This lists volunteer openings from federal agencies like the Park Service, Wildlife Service, etc, and also some state openings. You'll find camp host openings, but a lot of others that are more interesting (in my opinion). Last spring we did three months working as interpretive staff members at Petrified Forest National Park. We lived in our Airstream in the park with full hookups (and the park has no campground!). We staffed the Visitor Center, Museum, historic Inn, and also hiked the trails. We really enjoyed it.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Here's another vote for RV Care-A-Vanners. I learned about them on this forum (there is a thread on the topic), investigated, and tried it. We've done three builds so far this summer. We have a campground host job for December (and maybe a bit more).
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
I am into helping when and where I can. Random acts of kindness are all good. The concept of "giving back" sticks in my craw. It implies that I took something that wasn't earned and now have to make amends......... I'm not giving anything back because I don't owe anything.

I feel the same way.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
For those who "never took anything", I assume you never camped anywhere that used volunteer hosts that cleaned your fire pit? Or never had a volunteer fireman or policeman help you in time of need? How about a local Lions club or rotary that raised money for the needy?

I think if you look a little deeper, you will find many instances that you or your family have been helped either directly or indirectly.

Maybe "giving back" bothers you. How about community service? That might fit better for you.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Maybe "giving back" bothers you.
Don't "give back." That implies you're returning the aid to the people who helped you. "Give forward" instead by helping a whole new group of people.

The way I see it, you should make sure that when you leave this life, you'll be remembered for something you've done to make the world a better place.