Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Airstream Travel: Lock Down and Seal Up

Everyone travels with their Airstream in tow with different precautions. Mine may not agree with yours and that is fine with me. It is an individual decision HOW you prepare your trailer for travel on the Interstate or upon the Forest Service roads that I find my home away from home when Boondocking.

- ALL windows are latched and closed while moving. One camping spot or 500 miles. It takes only minutes to secure and seal up the interior.
- The REAR SECTION of trailer has the greatest pressure gradients.
- Double check the straps holding the front plastic window guard securely.
- The ceiling vents with or without covers while moving are closed, tight.
- Outdoor stove vent is closed and latched, shut.
- Curtains are pulled closed to keep out sunlight and curious looking inside.
- Door is double locked while moving.
- Awning is secured, latched and checked twice.
- Trailer plug into tow vehicle is connected and I take duct tape to secure, 100%.
- Water pump is OFF while moving.
- Refrigerator is ON while moving.
- Interior cabinets are tied off where possible with light rope sections.
- Bathroom sliders have a strip of wood laying in bottom slide, to prevent movement or opening while moving.
- Cutting board on sink is put onto bed. It will come off sink while moving.

Our last trip cleanup, Nancy found a couple of ounces of dust collected on the inside corner of the rear window. The factory did not have the window tight enough and while traveling gravel roads in New Mexico, the dust was drawn between the gasket and glass. I cleaned the window gasket and tightened both window latches for the rear large window.

While traveling your interior of the trailer and exterior will have dramatic pressure differences. Much like the pressurized cabin of a commercial airliner, the Airstream is not as sophisticated and pressure differences are NOT EQUALIZED. Keep that in mind always when traveling at highway speeds. Things... will happen if you did not latch and lock.

If you want to break a window, lose the ceiling vent lid or rip off your awning... that is your choice. It is never the fault of the owner, but something else that is mysterious and unknown that causes unique events.

You travel with your tow vehicles windows... closed. Otherwise on the gravel roads you will be drawing in dust to clean out of the cab sooner or later. The same applies to your trailer. If it is not sealed... it will draw dust if from your wheel wells if not sealed well at the factory, refrigerator side, or through any open vents.

You are towing a Land Submarine. There is a steep learning curve sometimes. Why begin at the bottom of the learning curve, like myself. Some mistakes are just cleaning up the dust within the trailer. Others... finding a window or two missing... mysteriously.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Home of Vortex tuning
2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
EB's have travel vents for venting gas fumes like all toy haulers made now.
One over the bed, and one aft of the furnace port side.

I haven't gone down any dirt roads yet, I was wondering if the front vent open facing forward (reversible vent) would pressurize the rig to keep dust from entering the gaps on the back hatch?

"Chip Tank" is in Vacaville Ca..
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
When it's warm we almost always travel with both of our MaxxAir vents open. It keeps the interior noticeably cooler

Yes, we close them on dusty roads.
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2012 Dodge Durango Hemi/AWD
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
We put in a lot of time on Forest Service roads, sometimes at planing speed when the gravel is all whashboarded. We've found that all the cabinets need latches, or the'll swing open, and a swinging door is a moment away from tearing out a hinge or worse. Our EB has a cabinet in the WC that hinges at the top. For that one we've fashioned latches on either side using Velcro-- having learned the necessity the hardway.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote