Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Commercial traffic is what repays the National investment. Doesn’t matter what kind of freight.

Snip...

Big trucks are a fact of life. Unlike you they’re not running around wasting gasoline.

If you think big trucks are discourteous I can teach you some lessons you’ll never forget. Ever. I daily have to take into account amateurs behind the wheel. Courtesies “you” don’t realize just occurred.

You're driving semis? Scary.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:17 AM   #102
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
I could have explained a bit more. Not necessarily the semi trucks direct issue but the other inconsiderate careless drivers. Just one example that happens several times over the course of a days drive. Big rig whips out to pass another and takes 5 minutes or more to do it. Traffic starts to back up in the left lane. 10 to 20 deep. The guy at the very end gets tired of hanging out at the end of the left lane line doing 20 under. I am some where in the pack with spacing. If close to the front they just whip in in front of me and I keep backing off to keep spacing. Some times seems like I am going backwards. If I am not close to the front I watch as they come screaming up to the slower semi in the right lane to make a last second cut in into the left lane. Usually without a turn signal. Yes, I am already breaking. This typically causes rapid breaking that builds worse and worse toward the rear of the line. Sometimes this happens several times if one slow rig is passing several slower rigs. I have watched twice where the car being cut off was totally surprised and wound up in the center medium. Both times thankfully unhurt. I have seriously been considering selling and buying a Steam Boat Springs condo and getting off the road altogether. I am not retired and don’t have the patience or frankly the will to sit in the right lane behind the slowest mover wondering if I am going to be rear ended. Besides I would have to fly my wife and kids to and from each destination. Let’s not get started on the level of distracting driving. It is scarier every time I hit the road. This goes for the semi drivers as well. Thank God for the noise alerts. I have wondered more than once if they are driving by sound while texting and/or eating. A time or two I have deliberately gotten off at a rest stop instead of passing. Just saying. Hope no offense.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 01-03-2018, 06:22 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
2012FB

That was a good explanation of the scenario. That happens to us multiple times a day on drives when we're going any distance on any Interstates.

The only additional I would add to that scenario is:

The drivers in the left lane who are backed up and have been waiting see the driver whipping up in the right lane and determine they are not going to let them in. So a couple of the left lane drivers get closer and closer to each other. Of course now their ability to brake or react is 0.

I believe all interstates should be three lanes mandatory and large trucks should use the two right lanes as they do in some states.
Although in the past drivers of big rigs had much more training and road awareness I would say those days in the trucking industry are changing also.

Driver distraction is at an all-time high. As stated we simply need to look around when we are on the road to see that every third person has their cell phone in the hand.

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-03-2018, 06:45 AM   #104
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012FB View Post
I could have explained a bit more. Not necessarily the semi trucks direct issue but the other inconsiderate careless drivers. Just one example that happens several times over the course of a days drive. Big rig whips out to pass another and takes 5 minutes or more to do it. Traffic starts to back up in the left lane. 10 to 20 deep. The guy at the very end gets tired of hanging out at the end of the left lane line doing 20 under. I am some where in the pack with spacing. If close to the front they just whip in in front of me and I keep backing off to keep spacing. Some times seems like I am going backwards. If I am not close to the front I watch as they come screaming up to the slower semi in the right lane to make a last second cut in into the left lane. Usually without a turn signal. Yes, I am already breaking. This typically causes rapid breaking that builds worse and worse toward the rear of the line. Sometimes this happens several times if one slow rig is passing several slower rigs. I have watched twice where the car being cut off was totally surprised and wound up in the center medium. Both times thankfully unhurt. I have seriously been considering selling and buying a Steam Boat Springs condo and getting off the road altogether. I am not retired and don’t have the patience or frankly the will to sit in the right lane behind the slowest mover wondering if I am going to be rear ended. Besides I would have to fly my wife and kids to and from each destination. Let’s not get started on the level of distracting driving. It is scarier every time I hit the road. This goes for the semi drivers as well. Thank God for the noise alerts. I have wondered more than once if they are driving by sound while texting and/or eating. A time or two I have deliberately gotten off at a rest stop instead of passing. Just saying. Hope no offense.
I feel exactly the same. Well said. If you try to maintain proper spacing, somebody passing on the right will cut in. Repeat, repeat.. Seems like truck traffic has more than doubled recently. I'm convinced more and more truckers absolutely depend on the rumble strips to stay in a lane. It's like every interstate needs to be three lanes now. I drive 40,000 mi/yr and have for the last 30 years. It's not getting any better that's for sure. Weekends are the worst. Lots of car drivers out that don't spend much time on the highway.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

Driver distraction is at an all-time high. As stated we simply need to look around when we are on the road to see that every third person has their cell phone in the hand.
I agree that driver distraction is at an all time high but I wouldn't put all of the blame on just the cell phone.
I would put some of that blame on the auto manufacturer.
Back in November my commuter car was totaled when a deer ran into it and collapsed the windshield and roof, thus my wife and I went car used car shopping. Not sure exactly what we wanted and looked at several different makes of vehicles. Many of the vehicles were very easy to drive - meaning that it was easy to adjust the HVAC, radio, headlights and wiper controls. Others had interiors so busy - with so many buttons in obscure places that it would take a long learning curve to figure it all out. I felt like I was constantly searching how to operate the basic functions of the car - it gave me a headache. I really like a fair amount of bells and whistles but there is something to be said for a simple interior without the gizmo's to distract you.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Crispyboy agreed. If we should not be distracted by cell phones then don't make our car dashes and heads up displays like computers.

We all need to remember driving is already a divided attention task. Let's not further divide it with to many distractions.

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
This is a very interesting thread. We all see distracted driving every time we are on the road.

I did an internet check and found an article that summarized the distracted driving studies done up to 2007, which can be found here: http://acrs.org.au/files/papers/15%2...literature.pdf

I had read that "hands off" cell phone use did reduce driver competency and found the following confirmation:

{Quote} ...although the physical distraction associated with handling the phone can present a significant safety hazard, the cognitive distraction associated with being engaged in a conversation can also have a considerable effect on driving. Indeed, many studies have found that conversing on a hands-free phone while driving is no safer than using a handheld phone (Haigney et al., 2000; Matthews et al. 2003; Redelmeier & Tibshirani, 1997; Strayer, Drews, Albert & Johnston, 2003).{/Quote}

Another finding in many studies was that drivers that used cell phones when driving were unaware of the degree to which their driving competency was impaired.

It seems that driver distraction thru cell phones, nav systems, entertainment systems is so well documented by "scientific" studies that relatively few studies are being commisioned today.

On a related topic self driving cars are a game changer and throw a new wrinkle into the mix. A couple months back I drove a 2018 Audi Q7. Bascially the car can drive itself--it chimes every 15 seconds if there hasn't been any driver input, but, all on its own, it maintains speed, follows vehicle ahead at a safe distance, stays centered in its lane, slows or speeds up as to match traffic, alerts if another driver is in your blind spots. I could see how this car could enable cell phone use while driving.

One thing I did not like was the car wanted to stay centered in the lane regardless of road surface conditions. In one stretch the seam between passes of the paving machine had chunked out. I had to fight the car to keep it from running the tires on the damaged road surface.

So there you have it. Everything I thought I knew was wrong.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Old 01-04-2018, 04:04 AM   #108
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
You're driving semis? Scary.
Compared to you, what I can do at the wheel is another realm.

But three days of “agony” as your left seat instructor would open your mind.

Don’t think yourself above average until you’ve put it to the test. When you have, it should make for some funny stories by all. Being “able” is t bragging when one can do it. One has to learn limitations, not assume them, when it’s life and livelihood. Not assume Divine intervention.

Leaving out for now the usual bad vehicle spec and tests for hitch rigging, you can start by practicing with gators. Truck tire treads.

When you can consistently place the steer tires AND the trailer tires within four inches of said gator at 68, we can put you in an eighteen wheeler on a day of high winds and have you do the same.

And then do it with no use of the mirrors. And always in traffic. Predicting how much lean that trailer has and how to put the right amount of English on it takes time. Skill is acquired. There will be a day it’s used.

Once you’re this intimate with the rig, harder tests begin.

Because some truck drivers are poor doesn’t mean a thing. There are men out here to whom you already owe an apology. Bad driving. A moments lapse. To them, it was just another day at the office, even as it saved your bacon.

This is a realization you should have had as a teenager.

If you can’t see the consistency of what I’ve advocated about vehicles, rigging, and driving — all of it from experience — then one is left to wonder at what has penetrated that thick skull (said with a smile).
Is my being at the wheel a scary thought? It should be.

Your clue to that past your opinion of me should have been the information that truck drivers are held to a higher standard. Had it subsumed as knowledge after experience, it’s that I had been pulling these trailers of ours more than twenty years before climbing into a truck cab. Believe that it’s sobering as to one’s skill and you’re on the right track.

So call it perspective. And a big year of vacation travel for “you” (whomever) be it 5 or 15,000 miles is a just few weeks for me.

So, agree or disagree. But test it. Then there’s something to talk about.

If what I see on the road was otherwise, you would t see me stick my neck out around here. The evidence of having done a good job with the rig or in the driving isn’t present in aggregate.

So the topic of AS speed limit: it’s traffic volume with spacing as the control. And that is after having tested for total braking distance. Reaction time plus time to stop.

Less than six seconds?

Prove it.

I get it that you don’t and won’t. Using a scale is like pulling teeth around here, simple as it is. So use the commercial standard. In aggregate they’re better than you. And for them it’s six seconds. Always strive for 700’ or better — its the goal — and make it a rhythm. A waltz.

You can do that THEN you’re on vacation. Momma and the kids doze off after lunch when you’re into the gnarliest traffic of the day

And they’re undisturbed

You might be improving.

The test is in not ever varying. No outward excuses.

(Think you’ve got that? Well, there are tests to confirm that as well. You against you).

Old 01-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #109
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Currently there is no requirement that speed limits be set based on traffic studies so many localities "game" the system and knowingly set the limit lower than what most feel is a reasonable limit and "benefit" from increased traffic fines.
Specific speed limits should not be set by federal or even state or local government legislators. I suggested that there be a Federal requirement that speed limits and stop light timing be set based on scientific studies. If a locality fails to use such studies, there local government can not benefit financially from citations. (details to be worked out) .
As a chauffeur, it is apparent that people are unaware of the size of their vehicle, oblivious to the laws of physics, clueless as to braking capabilities and inattentive to the task at hand. Police officers willfully ignore traffic laws. (Got a ticket for speeding, 4 hours later was passed on the 60 mph interstate by a marked car running 85 with no lights or sirens, caught him 2 miles later due to a traffic jam. 24 hrs later was passed by 2 separate police cars running 80 together to their donut run-I followed them, & yes I was POed.)

We have a mindset of ignoring speed limits partly due to the ridiculous long-standing national 55 & partly due to limits that are obviously set too low. We became a nation of scofflaws & children grew up patterning their behavior on their parents'.

A rational, scientific based study to set speed limit laws in each jurisdiction would encourage more compliance & make roads safer as a result but will never happen because it will reduce the easy revenue stream that accrues to local governments, not to mention the lawyers & ancillary recipients. I can see states forbidding autonomous vehicles once they realize the hit to their revenue streams.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #110
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
many cities have even been sued and lost because they "played" with the minimum time for a yellow light which resulted in thousands of folks getting "caught" with a 'Red Light Running" camera.
Charlotte, NC, was guilty of revising yellows shorter so as to increase revenues under the direction of the red light camera company(with an obvious vested interest). Fortunately, ticket revenues were by statute supposed to go to the school system & a suit eliminated the cameras statewide.

Traffic lights are supposed to have a minimum 3 second yellow according to the USDOT/FHWA standards. Duration is impacted by upgrades+ or downgrades-, higher speed limits=more yellow duration, roadway width & pedestrians. Less than 3 seconds will result in more accidents. Call your local traffic engineer the next time you see a short yellow.
Closed Thread