Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets View Post
The 65mph is not really correct it depends on load and air pressure.

They can go to 80mph.
As I have pointed out previously.

The load formula that populates the Load/Inflation table, used by the tire industry for ST type tires is based on the assumption that 65 mph would be the MAXIMUM operation speed. If the operation speed was to be between 65 and 70 then users were to use a 1o psi higher value for their measured load.

Example St235/75R15 with 2,030# measured load needs to run 50 psi minimum cold not 40 psi cold.

If running 75mph to 80 the Load capacity number must be reduced by 10% in addition to the +10 psi adjustment.

Example ST235/75R15 would be rated to carry (2,030*.9) or 1,827 at 50 psi.

I know this adjustment process seems backward but that is the way tire loading is calculated.

Now I am sure some will say that the new ST tires come with speed ratings faster than 65. IMO many of these ratings were applied just to avoid import taxes. I know of no magic rubber that somehow gives an ST235/75R15 LR-C the ability to support 2,340# at 87 mph with 50 psi in it while an identical sized LT235/75R15 LR-C is only able to support 1,985#.

Before you say "Ya but the tire companies probably made big improvements in the new ST tires", I would ask what makes you think the tire companies would not want to be able to offer better load capacity to their LT tires?

Load capability is basically the tire air volume * air pressure, with adjustments for speed and expected service. So if you have a P/U pulling a TT the "service" would be the same and the speed would be the same so how can the tire with "ST" on the sidewall carry more load at the same speed?

Magic?

Now you are more than welcome to believe in magic or marketing claims but IMO using the load /infl tables without doing the adjustments will probably result in an increased likelihood of belt separation. So when you have a failure please do not post something here along the lines of "I just had a blowout. I didn't hit anything and always check my air". Tire failures usually occur because of cumulative internal structural damage from heat and time. The excess heat comes from the combination of speed/inflation/load.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

East Hartland , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Drunk driving, speeding and disregarding traffic controls are the leading causes of accidents. I know everyone blames the phone but plenty of people have no problem at all managing distractions while driving. If you wreck because of a distraction you probably shouldn't drive.

I would say cell phones cause more accidents than drunk drivers.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Silversled,

I can't find HB2257 stating Texans can pull a trailer at 80mph. What I have read is 70/60 at night for trailers under 26' and 60/55 for trailers over 26'.

And the Transportation Code Chapter 545 is unclear, too.

My trailer tires are rated up to 81 mph.

Sjohn
Old 12-29-2017, 12:22 PM   #84
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
In Germany getting a drivers licence is about as hard as getting a pilot's licence here. Hours of instructor time about 100. Money spent, over 1000 DM. I see drivers over here I swear they found their licence at the bottom of a cereal box.
Not only the bottom of the cereal box, but they grew up in areas where signs containing “Slow Children” didn’t refer to speed limits.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ooh, ooh, harsh but so true, unfortunately
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Airstream Speed Limits?

I run at the posted speed limit.

Big issue on most highways these days is semi trucks whipping out cutting traffic off to take 5 to 10 minutes to pass at a one mile an hour differential. Worse is they are pulling a grade, especially in the Rockies. Worst of all when there is a line line of them with one screw ball determined to pass them all and never gets over. 40 west out of Albuquerque was especially bad last week. Sorry but the semi trucks should be required to do a steady state and stay in the right lanes period. If the semi truck can’t maintain speed less load/more truck or big enforced fine.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
Old 12-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I've been drivin' all night, my hand's wet on the wheel
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel
It's my baby callin', says I need you here
And it's a half past four and I'm shiftin' gear
When she is lonely and the longing gets too much
She sends a cable comin' in from above
Don't need no phone at all

Radar Love?
[emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]
Old 12-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Oregon
You can't fix stupid, but apparently you can legislate it.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:26 AM   #89
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
We would all be better off if there was a national movement to implement an 85th percentile speed limit law.

The best thing you can do is adopt the Smith System or SIPDE defensive driving practices. Especially ground viewing: Always be aware of the steer axle tire that is closest to you when approaching/overtaking any vehicle. If it changes from straight ahead, the vehicle will be following in short order. That little bit of advance warning has saved me innumerable times, enabling me to avoid accidents or vehicle damage.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:54 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
We would all be better off if there was a national movement to implement an 85th percentile speed limit law.

The best thing you can do is adopt the Smith System or SIPDE defensive driving practices. Especially ground viewing: Always be aware of the steer axle tire that is closest to you when approaching/overtaking any vehicle. If it changes from straight ahead, the vehicle will be following in short order. That little bit of advance warning has saved me innumerable times, enabling me to avoid accidents or vehicle damage.
The 85th rule is based on the thought that "85% of drivers do at or below a reasonable speed". The basic assumption is that most people are good drivers. This rule came from the 1950s along with most of our traffic laws.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:38 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombomb68 View Post
I would say cell phones cause more accidents than drunk drivers.
It's a popular cause but drunk driving still is way out in front statistically. Hands free technology definitely helps.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, we would not be better off with a "national" law. Utah is different from Rhode Island.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:46 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
The roads are paid for by everyone not just commercial and military. Drivers tying up the left lane cause others to pass unsafely on the right. Slow traffic needs to move out of the way of faster traffic, period. I stay right and let them battle it out for that extra 1 mph.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
I guess I never think about how fast I can go, I do think about how fast I can stop. Must be a sign of getting older?

Safe Travels
Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #95
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post

You might consider supporting the National Motorist Association. They fought the 55 NMSL and are strong proponents of rational traffic laws.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #96
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
No, we would not be better off with a "national" law. Utah is different from Rhode Island.

If the "National Law" is based on the proven science of the 85th percental and that speed limits are to be set based on traffic engineering studies that consider local conditions why would you be opposed to such?
Do you prefer local agencies looking to generate more "tax" income with artificallylow speed limits, re-setting traffic lights to "short yellow" and speed traps?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If the "National Law" is based on the proven science of the 85th percental and that speed limits are to be set based on traffic engineering studies that consider local conditions why would you be opposed to such?
Do you prefer local agencies looking to generate more "tax" income with artificallylow speed limits, re-setting traffic lights to "short yellow" and speed traps?
TM9, your posts are normally very good, and contain lots of good info. but I have to disagree with you on this one. I’m sure the states perform traffic engineering studies. The notion that Washington is more capable and trustworthy to deal with local issues than state/ local governments is incorrect in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
I guess Germans take driving more seriously than we do.
I think so too. They have very strict safety checks and the vehicles in many case are built tougher. It was interesting to read in our BMW X5 owners manual that there are two levels of brake lights.

With a moderate stop the usual set of brake lights come on, but when getting more aggressive on the brake pedal a 2nd set of lights light up. So when following a set up like this the driver behind the BMW knows that an aggressive stop is active giving the trailing driver more incite on how to react.

Also note we pay 15% less for insurance on my 2010 BMW X5 than my wife's 2009 Toyota Sienna Mini Van which cost half the price of the BMW. Thinking it is the safety aspects that relate to the Bimmer that justifies the lower cost.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #99
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
TM9, your posts are normally very good, and contain lots of good info. but I have to disagree with you on this one. I’m sure the states perform traffic engineering studies. The notion that Washington is more capable and trustworthy to deal with local issues than state/ local governments is incorrect in my opinion.

You may have mis-understood me. There are too many cases where local governmental agencies do not use traffic speed studies by accredited traffic engineers. Also many cities have even been sued and lost because they "played" with the minimum time for a yellow light which resulted in thousands of folks getting "caught" with a 'Red Light Running" camera.

Currently there is no requirement that speed limits be set based on traffic studies so many localities "game" the system and knowlingly set the limit lower than what most feel is a reasonable limit and "benefit" from increased traffic fines.

Specific speed limits should not be set by federal or even state or local government legislators. I suggested that there be a Federal requirement that speed limits and stop light timing be set based on scientific studies. If a locality failes to use such studies, there local govermentcan not benefit financially from citations. (details to be worked out) .
Old 01-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #100
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Commercial traffic is what repays the National investment. Doesn’t matter what kind of freight.

Driving to a set speed isn’t possible. Unless the road is deserted.

How does one know if one is a bad driver (out on the Interstate)? Simple.

Surrounded by other vehicles. Forward, aft and abeam. Thats one serious screwup.

There’s no space to maneuver. No room to brake. Not even room to accelerate.

How do I know all this from one statement (I drive the posted limit)? Because all else follows. Inexorably.

1. Travel speed means next to nothing. 70 will not get you there faster than 64 on a busy day. Its the AVERAGE speed that counts.

2. Vehicle spacing means everything. Thus traffic volume DETERMINES average speed.

I lost my temper. Not the first time.

But bein’ dumb’ll getcha kilt.

There are patterns to observe. Those whose miles are commutes need basics pointed out. A pickup even with a trailer as good as an Airstream isn’t very good.

Can you (all of you) conceive of how often I “see you” out on the road? And how rarely you’re doing well? Not the TV, not the hitch rigging and what really gets me is stuck fire and aft with idiots passing one or more big trucks.

And there’s no one in sight for a half mile or more behind.

Cancel cruise, let idiots pass, re-engage cruise. Get them around you.

Big trucks are a fact of life. Unlike you they’re not running around wasting gasoline.

If you think big trucks are discourteous I can teach you some lessons you’ll never forget. Ever. I daily have to take into account amateurs behind the wheel. Courtesies “you” don’t realize just occurred.

Try not to ruin that. It’s more fun to wave at the kids or wonder what the wife is reading aloud to the driver.

Closed Thread