Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
FreshAir's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,327
Images: 2
Our very good friend, a Nevadan where there is virtually no speed limits, took us up into Oregon to tow back to California the Tradewind we just purchased. What a ride! We traveled Highway 97 south to I 5 then down I 5 to Sacramento then east up to our home. 80 TO 85 was the norm with a warry eye out for the Highway Patrol! All the while he is commenting on how well the Airstream tows, "I can't even tell that it's there." he keeps saying. My wife and I turned often to be sure it was.

Neil.
__________________

__________________
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Avatar;
Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
urbanfood's Avatar
 
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
80 TO 85 was the norm with a warry eye out for the Highway Patrol! All the while he is commenting on how well the Airstream tows, "I can't even tell that it's there." he keeps saying. My wife and I turned often to be sure it was.
please let us know when you'll be on the road next time because i'll go play golf that day.
__________________

__________________
david

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Road Ruler's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,364
Images: 39
Porsche Cayenne tows Airstream at 122 MPH and 503HP AMG Mercedes pulls the Bullet.


Car and Driver mag has an interesting write up (Jan 07) on page 115. Here is a nutshell summary or the article.


John Phillips assignment was an exercise in summer, self indulgence. He called a friend from Mercedes who quickly suggested a 503HP, silver ML63 AMG Mercedes attached to a Airstream.

He got the keys to the AMG and headed to Jackson Centre to meet with Airstream president Bob Wheeler. Well apparently Bob is a car guy and was eager to set up John with an Airstream for his adventure.

A new 20' Safari was hooked up to the AMG. We now had the $86,000 AMG and the $40,000. Airstream.

Bob new about the AMG's performance capabilities. 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, 155MPH top speed, and 15.4 inch front brake rotors that stop the 5,162lb vehicle in 160ft (70 to 0). He wondered about how fast the AMG could tow the Airstream? He reported that they recently had hooked an Airstream to a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and went for a drive at the Honda test track. They got it up to 122MPH, but then he commented that it sort of achieved liftoff. He said their goal is 140MPH which he thought was the world record.

After the weekend outing they got back to Jackson Centre they were asked how it towed. John replied, Fantastic, it's so light, it tows like a feather.

__________________
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
cosmotini's Avatar

 
1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,057
Images: 83
The factory could make a spoiler for the A/S to keep it down on the pavement.

It might create issues with bridges and overpasses, however.

I think anyone trying this should automatically qualify for one of these .
__________________
Dennis

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Coloradobus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 784
Anyone utilizing Goodyear Marathon "ST" tires or others of the like, these tires have a maximum speed rating of the 65 mph. Now you may sustain higher speeds for a short duration like passing. Sustained speeds over 65 for more than 1 hour, considering load, ambient temperatures, you're asking for a trouble. Remember, the sunny side of your trailer will have higher tire temperatures than the shady side. Easy to keep track of with a $50.00 infrared thermometer from Radio Shack.
Inland RV recently told me, for our single axle we can use a light truck tire ( which may have a higher speed rating). (or bowlingballs for that matter). On our tandem axle trailer, we MUST use the "ST" tires because of the dragging effect of dual axle. Turning a corner, one axle's pair of tires are always between dragged sideways. ( on tri=axle two pairs of tires are being dragged) The stress on the bead of the tire is dramatic and the "ST" tires have a thicker, stronger bead where the truck "LT" tires don't have this design. On single axle trailers there is NO dragging of tires, consequenty little strain on the tire's bead. Finally someone gave me a good explanantion on the differneces between "LT" and "ST" tires that makes sense. Our local tire store just tells me, "that's because an airstream is a trailer and we need "ST" tires.
__________________
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
Road Ruler's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,364
Images: 39
For the benefit of Airstream owners it has been reported that the aerodynamic Airstream has been through many wind tunnel and speed tests over the years. The theroy being that in a very strong wind the Airstream will hold its ground, unlike most square TT's.

Of course when on a test track ultra high performance speed rated tires would be the tire of choice.
__________________
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #21
Silver Mist
 
LI Pets's Avatar
 
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,008
Images: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
Anyone utilizing Goodyear Marathon "ST" tires or others of the like, these tires have a maximum speed rating of the 65 mph. Now you may sustain higher speeds for a short duration like passing. Sustained speeds over 65 for more than 1 hour, considering load, ambient temperatures, you're asking for a trouble. Remember, the sunny side of your trailer will have higher tire temperatures than the shady side. Easy to keep track of with a $50.00 infrared thermometer from Radio Shack.
Inland RV recently told me, for our single axle we can use a light truck tire ( which may have a higher speed rating). (or bowlingballs for that matter). On our tandem axle trailer, we MUST use the "ST" tires because of the dragging effect of dual axle. Turning a corner, one axle's pair of tires are always between dragged sideways. ( on tri=axle two pairs of tires are being dragged) The stress on the bead of the tire is dramatic and the "ST" tires have a thicker, stronger bead where the truck "LT" tires don't have this design. On single axle trailers there is NO dragging of tires, consequenty little strain on the tire's bead. Finally someone gave me a good explanantion on the differneces between "LT" and "ST" tires that makes sense. Our local tire store just tells me, "that's because an airstream is a trailer and we need "ST" tires.
The 65mph is not really correct it depends on load and air pressure.

They can go to 80mph.
__________________
Bob
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
Just because it can...doesn't mean it should!

The C&D test was under controled conditions on a closed track with no other drivers or hazards around I'm guessing.

No matter what the "speed limit" says, 60-65 is tops for me ~

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Larry C's Avatar
 
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 745
Let that truck blow a tire, or the trailer blow a tire, and suddenly, you will be very aware that it's behind you!
__________________
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
 
ljmiii's Avatar
 
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
The 65mph is not really correct it depends on load and air pressure....They can go to 80mph.
The Goodyear technical specs I've seen give tire pressure/load/speed info up to 75MPH...where did you see 80MPH?
__________________
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Coloradobus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 784
LI Pets,
Silver Mist.

You are correct. Goodyear just told me they really don't have a speed rating for the Marathons. I am having a debate whether to place Load D or Load Range C ST225X75X15 on our Trade Wind once its ready for the summer. We have Load Range D's on the GT since it is a single axle trailer.
__________________
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,352
The car and driver test was an exercise in stupidity and thats it .
OOHH how impressive to go 122 mph pulling a trailer .REAL intelligent
I never understood speeding with a trailer in tow ,but Ive seen a few
of these guys smashed up in the center median with lives ruined and the trailer scattered all over three lanes of traffic.

Scott
__________________
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:33 PM   #27
Aluminut
 
Silvertwinkie's Avatar
 
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 10,334
I typically tow at between 55 and 65, with an average of 62. I took a look at Discount Tire's website for the GoodYear Marathons and they claim that are "R" rated tires (for speed FWIW), which allows them to go a bit over 100mph.....not that I'd ever even consider getting near that.
__________________
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
 
ljmiii's Avatar
 
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
You are correct. Goodyear just told me they really don't have a speed rating for the Marathons. I am having a debate whether to place Load D or Load Range C ST225X75X15 on our Trade Wind once its ready for the summer. We have Load Range D's on the GT since it is a single axle trailer.
The Cs are rated 2150lbs at 50 PSI (1880lbs at 65-75 MPH) ($81 at tirerack)
The Ds are rated 2540lbs at 65 PSI (2270lbs at 65-75 MPH) ($88 at tirerack)

Is the tradewind so light that it doesn't matter? Or are your tradewind's wheels 'C rated' so you'ld be at 50 PSI with either tire? Or is there something I am missing that would make the Cs better than Ds?
__________________

__________________
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost to restore a gutted Airstream Draco General Interior Topics 28 02-19-2013 12:17 AM
2002 26' Airstream Landyacht Krazykraut Airstream Motorhome Forums 6 03-09-2006 04:28 PM
future airstream motorhome betteleal Airstream Motorhome Forums 11 02-12-2005 02:39 PM
Airstream Related List Servers Andy R Link Archive 0 02-22-2002 03:05 PM
AirstreamTrailers.com - Airstream Link Library Andy R Link Archive 0 02-22-2002 02:31 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.