Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Craftsman

Airstream Size for Fulltiming

How many out there fulltime in something smaller that the 34' and how is it working out?
Old 01-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
How many out there fulltime in something smaller that the 34' and how is it working out?
We haven't officially started but will in 2 months. Have a 06/30' classic we are in and feel it will be adiquit. We spent 5 months in it last year before deciding to to the full time thing. Will return home to our apartment in March and move belongings into storage then. As to size I think the 30 will work just fine as there are just the 2 of us and no pets. There are others here that full time in even smaller. Regardlees of the size being organized seems to be the key factor. putting things away when you through with them and constantly inventorying, as the tendency to add to your load is a constant battle. ---- pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though anyone can make anything work, my feeling is that if I fulltimed, I'd want at least a 30'. I have a 25' and though it's great, it's really only great for camping. I say that because with my unit, it's really geared toward trips and vacationing with the level of storage, tank sizes, etc. You have a Classic, with bigger tanks, so it might not be as difficult, but if you take into consideration that there is about 3' of loss in living space compared to the overall specs, a 25' Airstream is about 22' of living space.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I would think that fulltiming lifestyle is a factor. I could see using our 59 Overlander (26) for "being on the road" for a few years, where we aren't staying anywhere for more than a week or so. If I were hold up down south for the winter months, not moving around, not taking on the Rockies, not going to Alaska, I'ld want a 34 footer. I know you can do all those things with a 34. I know you can do all those things with a 34, I'ld just rather the additional access to parks I'ld have with that 26. Not to mention the 60 gallons fresh water, and two 35 gallon waste tanks.
I've reached that point in the winter where I'm planning long trips around the country. "The Grand Tour". So being on the road "full-time" is on my mind.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have been in my 31 full time since April. I expect to be in it for the next 14 months. my 31 is working out fine. Just enough space. 34 was just too long.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
Craftsman

I almost bought the 34' but bought a 94 25' Classic instead. I liked it so much I sold it and bought the new 2007 25' Classic for all the upgrades. The Hickory being a lighter colored wood along with the skylights and extra Vista Views and stacked windows gives the interior a more spacious feeling than the 94. It's still a 25 and the area where you feel it the most is the galley but other than that the trailer fells suprisingly large. I think that I could fulltime in a 25 but not sure the wife could. Just wondering how many fulltime in a smaller unit.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Some folks go full timing in a B-Van. Others (it seems like most) like a 40' coach with a lot of basement storage and slideouts.

It seems that one of the big factors is having a dedicated bed (separate from a living room couch). That usually means 24' or longer Airstream.

Another factor is the home base. If you have a place to stash stuff and to rest up for a couple of months then the need for carrying a whole lotta' stuff with you is reduced.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
25 FB SE - fulltimer.

I constantly have to fight against the habits of a lifetime and remind myself that I can't "Imelda" my shoes. When I buy a new pair, something MUST be thrown out. I have 2 really great sharp knives. Buy new jeans and an old pair goes in the trash or to the Salvation Army in the same bag I used to bring the new ones in. I have three big bath sheets, one standard towel and 5 washcloths (because they can get funky quickly). In a pinch I've used the bath sheets as blankets for children. Not buying 24 paper towel rolls at Sam's has been an adjustment.

Tidying up after yourself is also key to happiness in a smaller trailer. If I have a cup and two plates - I gotta do the dishes, dry them and put them away - or the whole trailer feels trashy. My trash goes out daily.

"Where will I put it and how often will I need it?" are now my first questions.

I really like that 27 FB but need it like a duck needs lips.... And yes I did a year in a 22 CCD first. The separate bedroom does make a big difference, but you can be happy in a smaller one.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

I agree completely with everything Paula said! I am in a 22' - most of the time it feels just right, though I am pretty sure 19' would work for me. I have a bed that can either be left out fulltime or put away to make more table space - perhaps if I didn't have this option I would want something with a permanent bed - it might be a drag to open and close the bed every day. As it is, I only stow it for parties... Good luck, living with a small amount of stuff is great. I can now only procrastinate by cleaning for a few minutes at a time.

Carlos
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Rich Lurh and family are fulltiming in a 30' Safari. I believe that Rich C. (gadget) is in a 25' or 27' Safari. I would think that if you are on the move more than stationary, a smaller unit may work fine.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
depends on how organized you are. IMHO a bedroom and a dinette are must haves. so that ups the length for me.Extended stays in my 32 are just fine, sometimes there are restrictions on lenght at parks so its a compromise at best. Then again my excella has wheels so it goes where the outside room is always available. At any rate have fun!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I've been full timing 2 1/2 years in a 28 Classic.

Feels just right, but than again, I have a huge tow vehicle for storage!

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
I WANNA, but not yet....

Have a 34' and having been in it with 3 kids for a week... I WANNA, but not yet...

Maybe gotta get 1 or 2 to college.... or?? I think I could do it with a WiFi connection, ASF's and cool itineraries.... or not.

All that said, I can't really see doing it in less than a 34' - maybe too addicted to my space, room and stuff.... Might mellow with the years? Planning to find out while maintaining ownership of my SilverToy.

Will post with the results, in a couple of years....! Hope to see all of you here then!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
moving in

A few weeks from now I'm leaving my big life and moving into my 21' little home - the toughest so far has been deciding on which pair of beautiful boots to keep - cowboy boots, work boots, dress boots? Luckily for me a close girlfriend wears the same size so I gave them to her in hopes of borrowing if need be - but hoping my pull on work boots will carry me through just fine.
Truly I love the intimacy of the space and looking forward to the move.
Theresa
t.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
Craftsman

Theresa, your 53 Flying Cloud is really nice.The small wood stove is especially nice.Although I recently bought a 2007 25' Classic I have my eye out for a nice vintage unit that I can showcase my woodworking skills and add one of the small wood stove from marinestoves.com: The Leading Boat Stoves Site on the Net. I don't think that I could add it to the new unit because of the padded ceiling.I'm convinced that you can fulltime in (almost) any size Airstream as long as it's set up correctly.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

We "full-time" in the USA each winter for over 4 months in our 25 foot Excella. Our home is in Great Britain. There is more storage space than we need with the side bath, rear double bed layout, with the double bed against one wall. Some other models of this length do not have the same amount of storage. A large quantiy of tools and kayaking gear go in the 3 tow-truck boxes (two at the sides and one across the front of the truck bed.) It probably helps that we are accustomed to living in a 26 foot sailing yacht. We would not change it for a longer trailer.
Nick.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I think the key for full timing would be the double closets with the side bath. My current slide out (30') while having enough bedroom and front space, fails the center closet test since we have the center bath with the shower on the curb side and the toilet and sink on the street side.

If you have to carry hang up clothes and coats, that single main closet is a little too tight for full timing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Any additional ideas???

Several years off the full timing - but very interested in this thread.

We are about to start working on the Overlander a 26 footer. But before we begin we want to make sure we take into consideration what eminities we will need to travel full time in her.

Right now it is a rear bath with middle singles and what we think was a dinette at the front but there is nothing there.

We really liked the Globe Trotter set up in the front - that gave two singles or use as a lounge or a full dinette. One mod we would have made was to rig up the singles into sliders to make a massive front bed if needed. So we are thinking this would be a great choice for the Overlander but with the additional modification.

The small wet bath in the globe trotter might be a bit much full timing so we thought we would keep the rear bath of the Overlander intact. - Give a bit of reinforcement at the back frame and make the black tank a tad bigger. And of course install a new grey tank.

The Galley of the Overlander - we can play with a bit and bring in some innovative storage ideas (none come to mind yet ) - wondering on the size fridge?? medium or full size?? Thinking of just a cooktop and convection microwave - skip the oven. But I would love to find one of those marine grill heating drawers - which would be perfect for warming things on propane, and using the grill if the weather really sucks for BBQ'ing. And of course would double as the toaster oven - All three units could be stacked to save space.

The middle singles - although seemed like a good idea to keep so you could have a bed to jump in fast with out any set up - we are thinking it is such a waist of space. We are tossing the idea of that area now becoming the Great Room.

One of the comments I read a lot is - having to do the laundry is a pain on the road. I saw one of those fancy little machines that do both washing and drying!! and thought what a great idea for when you are hanging out at a full hook up site.

Another idea was - having some sort of workbench for the little things that need help along the trip - somewhere to keep essential tools and a rugged surface to work at - instead of the Kitchen table!!

And of course there is the computer and keeping up with administration on the road so a little office desk of sorts is a must - instead of the kitchen table!!.

Also in the great room would be a goucho combo - custom made - to pull out to a double bed - or flip sideways to make up a small dinette for two. This would work well for when we have long stays with the front made up as the permanent bedroom.

There is still two closets between the great room and the kitchen and there would be lots of storage space under the front dinette set up.

Thus in a 26' we would have:
Multi function front area : Master Bedroom, Entertaining Lounge, large Eat in Kitchen.
Well functioned Kitchen with extra slide out counter space for preparation
Mid Great Room: Second bedroom, alternative cafe style dinette, Laundry Room, Workshop, Office, & T.V. Room
Rear Full Bathroom with combo shower/tub, Sealand China bowl Toilet and large vanity. with a small door for complete privacy.
Two closets and several overhead compartments, under bench and seating storage along with ample cupboard space in the bathroom and kitchen.
Dual Battery system, with back up solar, AC, Awning and a few more toys from the 99 Excella to round out the project.

So are we missing anything?? or do you have any suggestions for innovative storage or multifunction ideas???

We have already started by beefing up the leaf spring system we replaced to take on the extra weight. and that is as far as we have gotten.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Carson , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Theresa, your 53 Flying Cloud is really nice.The small wood stove is especially nice.Although I recently bought a 2007 25' Classic I have my eye out for a nice vintage unit that I can showcase my woodworking skills and add one of the small wood stove from marinestoves.com: The Leading Boat Stoves Site on the Net. I don't think that I could add it to the new unit because of the padded ceiling.I'm convinced that you can fulltime in (almost) any size Airstream as long as it's set up correctly.
Hey thanks for the kind words- boy I do hope you find a vintage model to work on – found it to be a fun challenge - yet with your skills...one can only imagine. I'm a process thinker so I find my way through - but truly the woodwork was a challenge for me - hope it holds together...probably overbuilt. One of my favorite elements in my trailer too is the woodstove...it's nice. Moving day is one week away and I feel pretty ready.
Theresa
t.gray is offline   Reply With Quote