Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Airstream Rental

Has anyone rented out their Airstream trailer? I'm thinking people might do this, to try out an Airstream as an alternative to staying at a hotel or bed and breakfast. Just curious. I've stayed at the Shady Dell, and then there is an Airstream trailer you can rent in NJ. If anyone out there has done this, I'd like to hear from you. I hate having the Airstream just sit there 2-3 weeks out of the month. But one thing, I won't just rent it to anybody. Think of it as Courtesy parking without bringing the trailer.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Would you let folks tow your Airstream?

This is an interesting idea. I will never do it because I would always be worried about "The Tube" being in the hands of folks who may or may not know how to tow a trailer. Also I'm fussy about my bunk (who's been sleeping in my bed!) and would hate to have to take my personal items out of my bedroom and bathroom areas.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Not likely!

myboyburt...I totally agree with you! I'm NOT a germ freak, but....one of the wonderful aspects of having this personal traveling womb is that, it is infused with my own DNA! H(m)otels, no matter the price or swank, are suspect to itsy-bitsy creatures hidden on knobs, pillows, headboards, tv remotes,etc. Why take the risk?
Also, the aluminum is so sensitive to dings and frankly there are just too many variables that can go wrong with the whole traveling process. It would be as much worry as your newly licensed teenager out on New Year's Eve!
~Karin

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Wrong idea

No, the trailer would not move. It'd be like an Airstream hotel here at my place, or up in the woods on our farm. I agree, I would never let someone take my TUBE down the road.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 05-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Personally, I wouldn’t do it but hey, it’s your coach and I’m sure there are a lot of people that would love to stay in one. The problem I see is how do you discriminate who you rent it to?
Years ago I thought about a small rental fleet for the same reason you mentioned but the hassle of cleaning and repairs (especially on an Airstream) just didn’t make sense to me. Again, how do you discriminate against people that don’t care of things? Also, if I rented your Airstream, I would expect you cleaned the shower, toilet and washed the sheets since the last people stayed in it. Are you willing to be a housekeeper too?
The gesture is a good one, and I think you would probably have some nice renters, but the slobs that comes in expecting the maid to clean up after them, well…you see my point.
Finally, remember back to when you first stayed in a RV, learning to light the furnace, use the water pump, flush the toilet, etc. Some people don’t understand how these things work.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
My answer would be "WHAT PART OF NO DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND" There is something about paying for and owning things that make you care for and use them differently. Being a frequent visitor to the Grand Canyon I see the fleets of rentals come through the park on a regular basis. That in it's self is enough to convence me to NEVER rent mine. Ask anyone in the tool rental busness how people treat rented items. Only thing worse is to loan it to a relative or friend!!!!!-----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Thanks

Hey, I was just thinking online. You all have great points, and yes, that Silver Tube out there on the lawn means alot to me. I agree, people would want alot, and they might now treat it like I do.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
You are as likely to find an Airstream for rent as a machine gun!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Not sure

I'm still thinking about it. I'd probably put an ad here (you all will treat my Airstream right) and in Airstream Life magazine. If people are planning on traveling to NY, and need a place, for $40-$50 a night, you can stay in our 1985 34' Limited. Just thinking about it right now. Would people be interested. Once the 65 Caravel is completed, that might be available for rent (no moving it) also.

Is there a draw for this?

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 05-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #10

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
"There is something about paying for and owning things that make you care for and use them differently."

So perfectly put by Mike. I could not agree more. I have much personal experience that backs up this aspect of human nature. There are of course exceptions to this behavior but most people simply cannot be trusted to treat your equipment as though it was their own.

Besides that there are many things to know when towing a trailer and there are lots of on-the-fly decisions to be made. Not everyone's judgement can be called good.

If I was wealthy and owned a NEW Airstream that good easily be replaced then I would be willing to loan it to friends and family but NEVER would I loan my vintage unit to anyone (especially friends and family) They cannot possibly appreciate the true value of it.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #11
Mouse Nest Hunter

1961 28' Ambassador
Sherburne , New York
I actually bought my Airstream from a campground that had 2 Airstreams that it rented out regularly. Mine was used as a rental for about 4 years and was very well taken care of by the CG management. In fact, it was probably in better shape that all of the other Airstreams that I looked at when I was on my search for my own. If you are able to stand other people sleeping in your bed, go for it!

On a side note about my own Airstream: I had to delay picking up my new-to- me unit as it was booked by a couple of Nuns that used it every year, and they asked me if it would be OK to stay in it one last time. I could not say no to the Nuns, so I've got that as a nice little Karma bonus in my trailer!
RoverOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
This is an interesting idea. I will never do it because I would always be worried about "The Tube" being in the hands of folks who may or may not know how to tow a trailer. Also I'm fussy about my bunk (who's been sleeping in my bed!) and would hate to have to take my personal items out of my bedroom and bathroom areas.
I'm happy to hear that I'm not alone with not wanting to lend my trailer out. My in-laws approached us last year about wanting to borrow the trailer and our tow vehicle sometime to try it all out. I said "no" but I felt so guilty for a long time. I feel better now!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Truly blessed

ROVEROWNER---you're truly blessed! Can't wait to see you at the Pageant Rally! Who else is coming, Central NY June 2-5.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
book us in...

Hi Rob,

book us in!! If we ever come to Central New York it would be a pleasure for us if we could rent us in to your Airstream!
If I read your posts right, it is more a courtesy parking without bringing the own trailer, then a real rent-out of the trailer,as you wouldn´t let people tow it, am I right?? I can´t really see were the problem to that should be, I mean if you see the people and don´t like what you see, you can still say 'no' and send them to the next motel... So, great idea (like the courtesy parking thing) thanks for your input and great ideas!!

Bjoern

BTW: Our Airstream is on the Ocean since yesterday, can´t wait to see him the first time...

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Nail on the head

Bjoern,

Yes, that is it exactly! My Airstreams would not go anywhere. And I will supervise. I've got you booked! Let me know when. I might be coming to Germany in July, just not to sure as of yet. I'll let you know. It sits there, and maybe I can recoup some money for the repairs I just made...

Stay in our Airstream - rent it I mean, here on our property if you're ever in central NY, and we aren't on the road with it.

Rob
Courtesy parking

Old 05-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi Rob,

just let us know, when and where you are in germany... Maybe there is a chance for a transatlantic airstream meeting.

all the best

Bjoern and Steffi

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2007 16' Bambi
Eastsound , Washington
We're renting Airstreams.. but one got set on fire!

Very interesting discussion here! I am helping out with a new Airstream rental business, www.silvercottages.com, and learning quite a lot about these silver beauties. We have a fleet of six designated for rental.

For our most recent rental, we delivered and set up a coach in a client's driveway for his visiting family to stay in. However, the client's one year old Toyota Tacoma exploded into smithereens of flaming blackened metal and stuffing.. right next to our Airstream. There was $10k worth of damage to the shell, thankfully covered by insurance. The client stood there the whole time hosing down the truck, the Airstream, the house with a little green garden hose, and waiting for the fire department to come. What a nightmare!

So far, this has not been enough to deter us. But I have to agree with those who say there are risks!
silvercott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
wanted to rent a silvery motorhome for a movie

I got a call today from Nufilms 1 514 925-6000 of Montreal Canada. They wanted to rent a silvery motorhome for a movie in the El Paso, TX area. I told them I had trailers not a motorhome. If anyone here is interested, you might contact them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Has anyone rented out their Airstream trailer? I'm thinking people might do this, to try out an Airstream as an alternative to staying at a hotel or bed and breakfast. Just curious. I've stayed at the Shady Dell, and then there is an Airstream trailer you can rent in NJ. If anyone out there has done this, I'd like to hear from you. I hate having the Airstream just sit there 2-3 weeks out of the month. But one thing, I won't just rent it to anybody. Think of it as Courtesy parking without bringing the trailer.

Rob
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote