Old 09-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Airstream Parking near Cruise Ship Terminals

I saw a post by Ttaylor this morning looking for short term storage near Port Canaveral Cruise Ship Terminal and wondered if others occasionally take a cruise in the midst of an Airstream trip. If so, please share your experiences at finding and using short term storage or parking for your rig near the terminal. What port were you sailing from? Where did you park? Was it secure? Was it expensive? How did you travel to (and from) the terminal after placing your unit in storage?

We're contemplating doing this in Seattle next year and started searching around on the net. Any experience or knowledge in that area would be appreciated.

If there is already a thread on this, my apologies, but I didn't find it in a quick search.

Roy and Marie

Old 09-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I thought about the same thing in Seattle, at the dock parking not so good, also might park at rv park, was there most of August, was surprised at how much more traffic there as compared to 6 years ago....

Old 09-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When w went out of Tampa I used a trailer storage company called Big Toy Storage. They offered gated, electric, and covered storage for $80.00 a week. My acceptance of the price was more for the stuff in the frig than anything else. I think they were franchised so they, or one like them may be in Wa. If not I would look at RV dealers and hide in plane sight.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have cruised out of Galveston several times. Last time I had my trailer with me. Galveston provides free parking for VA certified disabled veterans in their cruise ship terminal lot. You must have a copy of your VA disability award letter with you. They parked me in a spot that was very easy to get in and more importantly out of.
In Miami I left my Jeep and trailer at the Coast Guard base and took a shuttle to the terminal.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The cruise line might be the best place to start IMO. In addition to the good ideas so far, I would consider getting a site in a nearby campground, so you can stay plugged in. Some CG also have storage lots without hookups, but it sounds like you may want electric?

Good luck.

Peter
Old 09-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
When we went on a short cruise from Port Canaveral, we combined it with a stay at Land Yacht Harbor Airstream Park in nearby Melbourne. We just left our trailer at LYH and left our truck at the parking at Port Canaveral. Returned to LYH for another week or so after teh cruise.

It all worked out well.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
You want to become invisible...

We went out from Fort Lauderdale for a 7-day cruise. Decided NOT to be at mercy of any public parking or commercial spot that KNEW we'd be gone for certain. We found the closest RV park that had other RV vehicles - and daily campers. From there, we got a shuttle to the ship. Another time we went to the port a day earlier and stayed overnight at a inexpensive spot; the next morning we took a cab to the ship. If you're EVER able, and have interest in cruise travel, Allure of the Sea is fantastical. It isn't a raucous or wild ship. Go Carnival for that feel.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
We departed from SeaTac on a ferry to SE Alaska, then a month long visit to a friend at Tenakee Spgs, AK. We left our at Land Yacht Harbor at Lacey, WA. It was great.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Winter Park , Florida
Port Canaveral AS Parking Option

You might also try Jetty Park Campground. Nice Campground with full hookups, shade, private beach area etc.... It is located on the Port Authority Canaveral property. Literally right around the corner from the Cruise Ships. We camp there frequently and our little boys love to see the Big Cruise Ships go by on the other side of the Jetty... They might have a short term storage option. It is best to call them directly as their web reservation is not that friendly.
www.jettyparkbeachandcampground.com
Cheers!!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Great input and ideas. Please keep them coming and I'll summarize them for reference on the thread.

I also wanted to mention we did this in Ft. Lauderdale for a 9 day cruise in Feb, 2015. We stored the A/S at Kozy Kampers RV Park and RV Storage 3631 W Commercial Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale. I recall paying for a month, at about $150 for 10 days total. Their storage appears to fill up, so reservations are probably a good idea. Their storage is relatively secure - attached to the RV Park with a unit at the entry where one of the employees live.

We tried to get into Big Toy Storage in Melbourne, Fl, but they were filled.

Roy and Marie
Old 09-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Current summary including Ttaylor Canaveral thread ideas:

Port Canaveral Florida:

Land Yacht Harbor, Melbourne, Fl No storage, but reasonable rates
Joy RV
Great Outdoors
Sonrise Village
Seasons in the Sun
Space Coast RV Resort
Jetty Park Campground - very close to port

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida:

Kozy Kampers RV Park and Storage, monthly fee ~$150, reasonably secure, must arrange transportation to pier

Tampa Florida:

Big Toy Storage, ~$80/week, Gated, Covered, w/electric

Miami Florida:

Coast Guard Base - veterans

Galveston, Texas:

At the port - free for VA Certified disabled vets

Seattle, Washington:

SeaTac

I'll try to keep a running list with additional details as they come in. Thanks for the input.

Roy
Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Roy, SEATAC is not a place to store. We stored at WA Land Yacht Harbor at Lacey, WA.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Near Seattle, go to Washington Land Yacht Harbor. Storage lot, with electric to keep batteries up.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Tom
TVKetchum
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Thanks for the correction.

Current corrected summary including Ttaylor Canaveral thread ideas:

Port Canaveral Florida:

Land Yacht Harbor, Melbourne, Fl No storage, but reasonable rates
Joy RV
Great Outdoors
Sonrise Village
Seasons in the Sun
Space Coast RV Resort
Jetty Park Campground - very close to port

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida:

Kozy Kampers RV Park and Storage, monthly fee ~$150, reasonably secure, must arrange transportation to pier

Tampa Florida:

Big Toy Storage, ~$80/week, Gated, Covered, w/electric

Miami Florida:

Coast Guard Base - veterans

Galveston, Texas:

At the port - free for VA Certified disabled vets

Seattle, Washington:

Washington Land Yacht Harbor Storage - with electric

Please keep the input coming, if you've stored or parked at a campground near a cruise port, let us know how it was.

Thanks,

Roy