Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Airstream Accident on Instagram

Does anyone know anything about this accident?

Photo by jonnobutler • Instagram

The image is haunting and makes me feel like we shouldn't drive with our propane on.

I hope the people involved are ok.

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Here is another pic as referenced in comments: Photo by krimonster • Instagram
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
OMG, thanks for posting...that's something I've never thought about and apparently should!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Does anyone know the root cause?
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I don't know the cause, but there's was obviously a very hot fire at the front. I wonder if maybe the accident punctured one of the propane cylinders, resulting in fire.

Lynn
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Yep, that would be my guess as well ... propane tank rupture ... possibly as a result of an accident / hit?
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Oregon City , Oregon
We`d like to know more about what happened,too. We run with the propane tanks on for the `frig, hope we`re not flirting with disaster.
mike warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
A vehicle fire could have caused a similar disaster, battery shorting causes some fires too. Where are the batteries on that model of trailer? Not enough information to draw any real conclusion other than there was a hot fire.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
A vehicle fire could have caused a similar disaster, battery shorting causes some fires too. Where are the batteries on that model of trailer? Not enough information to draw any real conclusion other than there was a hot fire.
Exactly my thoughts.

Mythbusters has taught me how difficult it is to puncture a propane tank - they really have to work at it when they do it. I've heard stories of propane tanks falling off campers at speed with no damage aside from a few scratches. Of course, anything is possible. But, I suspect if it were a propane fire (say, from a broken line), there'd be a LOT less of that camper left to look at.

There's no way to know without more info.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Obviousl the trailer was in a wreck of some short, it is sitting on the lane divider.

Propane and Compressed Natural Gas powered vehicles operate on the roads with the associated tanks open all the time.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
My immediate thought was that the propane line under the A-frame was broken as the trailer has gone up onto the barrier. If the tank valves were open, that would cause a fire like that. However, that's just a guess and we have no way of knowing what actually happened. Personally, I have always turned the propane off when traveling.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
My immediate thought was that the propane line under the A-frame was broken as the trailer has gone up onto the barrier. If the tank valves were open, that would cause a fire like that. However, that's just a guess and we have no way of knowing what actually happened. Personally, I have always turned the propane off when traveling.
That is very plausible. Tank valves wouldn't have to be open, however, if there was already a fire from another cause— we don't see the tow vehicle at all, so maybe that's where the fire started? A propane tank subjected to heat will have the propane inside the tank vaporize, which then would have vented through the tank's pressure relief valve when the pressure got too high. If it vented into an existing fire, the vented propane would have ignited and burned like a blowtorch.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That is very plausible. Tank valves wouldn't have to be open, however, if there was already a fire from another cause— we don't see the tow vehicle at all, so maybe that's where the fire started? A propane tank subjected to heat will have the propane inside the tank vaporize, which then would have vented through the tank's pressure relief valve when the pressure got too high. If it vented into an existing fire, the vented propane would have ignited and burned like a blowtorch.
Indeed it would

Is there any resource available that gives RV owners an idea of what causes these crashes? We all speculate but some facts would be good.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Don't OPD valves shut down under "large flow rate" scenarios?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Don't OPD valves shut down under "large flow rate" scenarios?
not the OPD Valve (which is a regulator), the pressure relief valve. All pressure tanks have one, specifically to keep tanks from exploding due to excessive internal pressure. There's a specific name for the phenomenon: Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion, aka BLEVE, and it's a firefighter's nightmare.

The curious can read more about propane tank pressure relief valves here: Propane Safety Relief Valve - LP Gas Tank Pressure Relief
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
not the OPD Valve (which is a regulator), the pressure relief valve. All pressure tanks have one, specifically to keep tanks from exploding due to excessive internal pressure. There's a specific name for the phenomenon: Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion, aka BLEVE, and it's a firefighter's nightmare.

The curious can read more about propane tank pressure relief valves here: Propane Safety Relief Valve - LP Gas Tank Pressure Relief
Thanks for this. I appreciate the information.

Since speculation is always fun, how about this. The TV had a major accident where the gas tank ruptured and caught fire. The fire heated the tanks to a point where the pressure release valves opened thus turning them into torches. Keep in mind that in this scenario it wouldn't matter if your tanks were open or closed.

You see, you can make up any story to fit your purpose. It would be nice to find out what actually happened. I doubt that a spontaneous fire caused by open propane tanks would have resulted in the trailer being on top of the guard rail. But, who knows?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Airstream Accident near Mesquite, Nevada

Just bumping the thread to see if anyone living near Mesquite Nevada can provide more information about the cause of the accident and fire? The accident appears to have occurred Monday May 06, 2013 possibly on I-15. The Airstream trailer appears to be fairly new and looks like either a 25' or 27' FB. The fire does not appear to have been started by any of the trailer's propane fired appliances. The aluminum shell next to the furnace and refrigerator on the roadside and the curbside stove are unburned. There is burn damage forward of the water heater but other than the missing door the water heater looks undamaged. I hope everyone in the tow vehicle came through unhurt!

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
I had a fire in my argosy not long after I bought it. The cause was a ruptured leaking propane line under the trailer that could of been bumped coming off a steep down hill driveway in to the street. Luckily I had it parked and was inside making lunch and getting ready for a hike when I started smelling propane and went outside to shut it off when I saw smoke coming out of the vent. The fire was below my sink in the cupboard near the hot water heater and my frig. I was able to throw water at it and put it out. I of course have a fire estinguisher now. We were geting ready to leave my truck (when the fire started) and trailer at the walmart in Flaggstaff and head up for a day trip to the Grand Canyon in my friends car. I could of come back to a burnt crisp in the Walmart lot, or been pulling a ball of fire, or it could of happened when I was sleeping. Luckily there was an RV repair place down the interstate a bit who replaced my lines that same day. Close call!
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote