Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Don't OPD valves shut down under "large flow rate" scenarios?
not the OPD Valve (which is a regulator), the pressure relief valve. All pressure tanks have one, specifically to keep tanks from exploding due to excessive internal pressure. There's a specific name for the phenomenon: Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion, aka BLEVE, and it's a firefighter's nightmare.

The curious can read more about propane tank pressure relief valves here: Propane Safety Relief Valve - LP Gas Tank Pressure Relief

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
not the OPD Valve (which is a regulator), the pressure relief valve. All pressure tanks have one, specifically to keep tanks from exploding due to excessive internal pressure. There's a specific name for the phenomenon: Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion, aka BLEVE, and it's a firefighter's nightmare.

The curious can read more about propane tank pressure relief valves here: Propane Safety Relief Valve - LP Gas Tank Pressure Relief
Thanks for this. I appreciate the information.

Since speculation is always fun, how about this. The TV had a major accident where the gas tank ruptured and caught fire. The fire heated the tanks to a point where the pressure release valves opened thus turning them into torches. Keep in mind that in this scenario it wouldn't matter if your tanks were open or closed.

You see, you can make up any story to fit your purpose. It would be nice to find out what actually happened. I doubt that a spontaneous fire caused by open propane tanks would have resulted in the trailer being on top of the guard rail. But, who knows?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Airstream Accident near Mesquite, Nevada

Just bumping the thread to see if anyone living near Mesquite Nevada can provide more information about the cause of the accident and fire? The accident appears to have occurred Monday May 06, 2013 possibly on I-15. The Airstream trailer appears to be fairly new and looks like either a 25' or 27' FB. The fire does not appear to have been started by any of the trailer's propane fired appliances. The aluminum shell next to the furnace and refrigerator on the roadside and the curbside stove are unburned. There is burn damage forward of the water heater but other than the missing door the water heater looks undamaged. I hope everyone in the tow vehicle came through unhurt!

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #18
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
I had a fire in my argosy not long after I bought it. The cause was a ruptured leaking propane line under the trailer that could of been bumped coming off a steep down hill driveway in to the street. Luckily I had it parked and was inside making lunch and getting ready for a hike when I started smelling propane and went outside to shut it off when I saw smoke coming out of the vent. The fire was below my sink in the cupboard near the hot water heater and my frig. I was able to throw water at it and put it out. I of course have a fire estinguisher now. We were geting ready to leave my truck (when the fire started) and trailer at the walmart in Flaggstaff and head up for a day trip to the Grand Canyon in my friends car. I could of come back to a burnt crisp in the Walmart lot, or been pulling a ball of fire, or it could of happened when I was sleeping. Luckily there was an RV repair place down the interstate a bit who replaced my lines that same day. Close call!