Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Airstream (?) Accident in Atlanta Area today?

Has anybody seen any news reports of an Airstream accident in the Stockbridge, Ga. area today?

We were headed southbound on I-75 around 11:40 this morning at the Stockbridge exit and saw what appeared to be an Airstream on it's side in the northbound lanes. A white Chevy (I think) SUV was overturned and in the ditch behind the AS. To be honest, it didn't look good, but I don't want to get folks on edge here.

The accident had apparently had just happened because there were no emergency vehicles on scene yet. We passed by pretty fast and no opportunity to try and help out.

Looked to be a longer unit, 30' or more. From our perspective, it was lying on the roadside, roof pointing north.

Prayers to those involved.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
I saw a couple tweets about it. The GDOT Cam shot was too blurry to tell but another made me think it might have been a motor home as I couldn't see axles where they should have been. Plus it was really long.
Hope everyone is ok. Too many crazy accidents around here lately.
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Possibly this?

https://twitter.com/511Georgia/statu...866112/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCNdj32XYAM5eEW.jpg:large

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
That's the correct location. Man, I hope they're OK. I searched the local media and found no reports of injuries. Or even mention of the accident, for that matter.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-14-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I think this feed has a different angle on things,

https://twitter.com/ajcwsbtraffic?lang=en

and there are two posts in a row in which the white vehicle (the TV?) is in two different locations. Also the second image has a large wrecker, which probably just pulled the white vehicle out of the ditch IMO.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCNbp4gXkAAH6Ja.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCNiTxZXgAAY4pW.jpg

The corners of the trailer look pretty square IMO -- a horse trailer? Or is that an AS upside down? Probably not because there are no visible axles and wheels IMO.

The descriptions for each photo are different, so who knows . . . [Overturned Camper vs. Tractor Trailer Crash]

There was another serious crash on I-75 yesterday, in which a car rear-ended a semi and the driver had to be extricated from the car, plus there was a fire I think, so the crash above may have gotten short shrift IMO.

Stay safe!

Peter
Old 06-14-2017, 02:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
That's the correct location. Man, I hope they're OK. I searched the local media and found no reports of injuries. Or even mention of the accident, for that matter.

Jim
Thanks for the feedback. Does my recent post look like the same accident? I also could not find any articles, but given the other I-75 crash, and perhaps the lack of any serious injuries here, maybe this accident stayed under the media's radar?

On a wider scale, amazing how much information is available on the Web . . . what a world . . .

Cheers,

Peter
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here is another image, and what does look like an Airstream (maybe) in front of the white tow vehicle on a flatbed? You can just make out the possibility of the curved roof lines IMO.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCNrrZ6XYAMa6t4.jpg:large

Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
Heard about this on local news but didn't hear any confirmation that it was an AS
Cleosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Welcome to ATL! We have overturned trailers, semis and vehicles weekly/daily. Unless it is fatal, not a newsworthy event for locals.We are almost immune! While it seems like the best option is to bypass downtown, note that the interstate though town is 4-6 lanes in EACH direction, AND Semis are not allowed unless making a delivery. USUALLY straight through town is a better option. The bypasses are only 2 lanes and REALLY crowded with semis. There is no fast way around weekday mornings or afternoons.
Check traffic constantly for crashes.
Dave
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackga View Post
Welcome to ATL! We have overturned trailers, semis and vehicles weekly/daily. Unless it is fatal, not a newsworthy event for locals.We are almost immune! While it seems like the best option is to bypass downtown, note that the interstate though town is 4-6 lanes in EACH direction, AND Semis are not allowed unless making a delivery. USUALLY straight through town is a better option. The bypasses are only 2 lanes and REALLY crowded with semis. There is no fast way around weekday mornings or afternoons.
Check traffic constantly for crashes.
Dave
Thanks, I have noticed that when people ask for driving directions through or around Atlanta, some of the suggested routes give the entire metropolitan area a very wide berth!

Your suggested route right through town seems relatively popular, especially on the weekends.

Thanks for the feedback.

Peter
Old 06-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I go through Atlanta towing quite frequently, and I concur that going straight through on I-75 is the best way. I-285 E or W is a zoo.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Atlanta proves you cannot build your way out of congestion.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
The left rear tire on my 6L ,05 Ford Excursion before I could get it to the side of the road. Was going 60mph at the time.Marcia received lots of glass to her right elbow. Surgeon took X-rays to find the glass, she is on pain medication and antibiotics. I received cuts and bruises. Brittany Nina was safe in her cage (she is never in a vehicle without being on her cage) saved her life..
Had a devil of a time getting paperwork to get to the vehicles at New Image Towing in Forest Park thru Clayton County Police department. Wanted registration papers before I could go to vehicles. THEY ARE IN THE TRUCK. Very upsetting after a trumatic incident. Was headed out west for the summer and had spent $$$$$!!! On both vehicles to take the adventure. BF Goodrich tires have lots of tread and only 33K miles. Usually get 80K out of them. Probably will not have them on any of my vehicles again.
Motor was bullet proofed in 2013. Very sad to see it go..
AS was 95. 34'. New maxim Skylights and 6 new tires. Axles replaced 2015. Was a really nice rig. Was disappointed seeing my rig on the side of the road on highway cameras. GPS and several other items were not in the vehicle at the tow shop. The way and location of them leaded me to believe others thought I didn't need them any more which adds to the disappointment
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #14
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Wow! So very sorry to hear about the accident. But glad to hear there were no serious injuries (not minimizing the glass in the elbow but it appears to not be life threatening).

I had a serious car accident a year and half ago and understand how traumatic a accident can be. Please take care of yourself and your loved ones. It's sad to lose things but they can ultimately be replaced!

Best wishes!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
So sorry for your loss David, but glad that you and your wife, and the dog, came through this traumatic event with relatively minor physical injuries. An accident which could have happened to any of us, just from one tire blowout at a reasonable rate of speed. Phew!

Thank you for posting during this time of recovery, so soon after the event.

May the healing go well, as the memories of this fade into the past.

Peter

PS -- While stopped at a traffic light late last year, I was rear ended, and our tow vehicle declared a "total loss" by the insurance company. No fun . . .
Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
David, so sorry for your loss. I have to admit, after seeing the Excursion upside down on the side of the road, I'm amazed that neither of you are not still in the hospital. Simply amazed.

We live near there, so if you're still in town and need something, let us know. Be safe.

Jim

P.S., Clayton County is a nightmare for just about anything. I work there most days. Grew up there. Your accident was just about on the county line....luck of the draw.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Thanks to all for your prayers, thoughts and concern. The Airstream " fraternity " is a wonderful organization ��
Van is packed with salvaged items, heading back to Sarasota today. Will post photos when have internet
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Wow sorry to hear this David but really glad there were not more serious injuries. I have a BFG story to relate just as food for thought. In 2011 I bought a set of BFG Rugged Terrain 285s for my F-350 CC diesel. Loved them and they were perfect for my uses of mixed highway and off road use. The F-350 does not get driven a lot, and is kept in a garage. When the tires were about 3 years old I was letting my granddaughter drive on one of our pot hole ridden rural roads. Being a new driver she was not yet skilled a dodging potholes, and at 60 MPH she hit the mother of all potholes with the right front. It was bone jarring to say the least, especially with the weight of the diesel engine, and I was concerned for the truck but a subsequent front end check came up clean. A year later I had the tires rotated and re-balanced, putting that tire on the right rear, and we left Tucson for Santa Fe on Christmas day not towing anything. Soon after crossing the state line I noticed a very slight jiggling vibration. My wife couldn't detect it but I am always in tune with my vehicle and it was noticeable to me. Another clue was the cups in the cup holders were very slightly jiggling, barely noticeable but not normal. Not sure if it was a road issue or a wheel/tire issue I pulled off to check. Sure enough, the right rear had the telltale signs of separation in the early stages, very slight splits on the tread showing fresh rubber and a barely noticeable uneven tread surface. We limped to the nearest town and got Triple A to come out and put the spare on (I had just had surgery two weeks prior) and drove to Soccoro for the night. We later got a new BFG in Belen but had to pay 1/2 cost since the tires were 4 years old, even though they only had around 15K on them.

I attribute this to the damage that was done to the tire from the pothole incident a year earlier and I believe that by being in tune with every little thing on my truck I may have averted a catastrophic blowout.

Funny thing is much later when I looked at the new tire it had the SAME DOT DATE as the remaining 3! They had sold me a 4 year old tire!

Anyway not saying this has anything to do with your blowout, but just throwing it out there to remind people how a severe trauma incident to a tire can show up later.

I am still running the BFG's and they are six years old now but still lots of tread, been to Mexico and back twice and Santa Fe one more time. Will be replacing them this year however as six years is pushing it for me. even garage kept.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:11 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Crazy stuff. I hope everybody recovers ok !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSowder View Post
Thanks to all for your prayers, thoughts and concern. The Airstream " fraternity " is a wonderful organization ��
Van is packed with salvaged items, heading back to Sarasota today. Will post photos when have internet
I hope your wife is doing OK, and that you are getting rest back home.

I hope it is not too soon to ask, but have you recalled any other factors (out of your control) which might have led to your roll-over, like changing lanes right when the tire blew out? With your weight-distribution hitch rigged up, it is scary to think that one rear tire blowout could cause such a catastrophic event. [Edit -- Re-reading your Post #13, were you in the process of trying to pull over due to a tire problem you sensed, and did the tire then blow out in the middle of this maneuver? Any tire pressure monitoring system alerts?]

Having been rear-ended last fall, you have our condolences for the insurance process you will be going through. Hope it all works out OK, as ours did when all was said and done. Be sure to keep good records of your conversations and emails with the insurance people.

Hopefully we can all learn from this event . . .

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

Peter