Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Airport Security

Has anyone tried pulling into a major airport with the 'stream in-tow? We did it pre 9-11 but I suspect the security folks might get some heatburn. (How did I get the darn italics turned on!!! )
I am looking at a mid trip detour to pick up a family member that couldn't depart with us and needs to fly to catch up. Last resort would be for them to catch a cab to an off site where we are waiting with the camper.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I wouldn't think you'd have a problem. You don't need anything that big to do significant damage, you're in a public right of way and an explaination to any law or security officer would suffice in my mind.
Unless you get one of these rent-a-cop types...
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good question. I'd call the airport and ask.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Good question. I'd call the airport and ask.

Pat
As my Granny would say,
'Boy, why didn't you think of that?'
Old 05-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think our airport in Portland has much in the way of security outside the building. The parking areas are a distance away from the terminals. Our airport has a big free parking area for cell phone waiting. That's where people can wait for folks to get in, then they call you on the cell and you can drive up and pick them up.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Which Airport? Small regional - probably not an issue. Major metropolitian - New Orleans, Memphis, Atlanta, etc - I would think about calling ahead and getting a name for a contact if stopped. You are correct - it dos not take a vehice the size of an AS to do harm but then again no one looked at a Ryder Truck as a vehicle that would do anything either. You would stand out.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I don't think our airport in Portland has much in the way of security outside the building. The parking areas are a distance away from the terminals. Our airport has a big free parking area for cell phone waiting. That's where people can wait for folks to get in, then they call you on the cell and you can drive up and pick them up.
Man, it couldn't be more differnet in Atlanta. There is no such thing as "free" at the Atlanta airport. In fact, if you stand more than a couple of minutes trying to pick up an arriving passenger, the cops will make you move on. And the cops here are Atlanta City cops, not rent-a-cops. Given the things that they have been caught on video doing to innocent passengers and by-standers, apparenty only the problem children are assigned airport duty in the APD. (one behemoth of a police office was caught on video tape dragging a woman half his size through the car window and body slamming her onto the concrete for reasons still not clear to anybody, he's still on the force, BTW).

I wouldn't even consider going the Atlanta Airport in my Airstream. I'd be scared to death they would find a reason to sieze it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan

I wouldn't even consider going the Atlanta Airport in my Airstream. I'd be scared to death they would find a reason to sieze it.

Jim
That's the exact airport I went through in a RV/toad several years ago, thus the question. No way would I try that again, just because of the infamous Atlanta traffic. This time I'm looking west, like Omaha or Denver. It sounds like the best bet is find a local hotel, park and tell them to catch a cab (or the hotel shuttle )
Old 05-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I didn't mean to give a silly answer. It's just that you can't reason through a thing like this - logic and reasonableness will give way to whatever their policy is.

Good luck!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Free airport bus

Find out if there's a hotel near the airport that has a free bus service. Have your guests catch a ride to that hotel, and pick them up there.

We've pulled into a small regional airport (Craig, CO - serving Steamboat Springs) with no problems. We've done it several times to pick up a rental car, and I never even found anybody awake(!)

Having said that, we're considering trying to pick somebody up in Denver this summer. I think the traffic flow is good enough that if they're waiting at the curb, you can get in and out quickly.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
My guess is, Denver (DIA) will have an issue with it...I like the hotel (or car rental) shuttle idea.

Also, the pick-up/departure areas are kinda crazy - multi-level ramps, lots of people, nobody seems to know where they are going - I don't think I'd want to pull my AS in there...& it's only 19-feet.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel
we're considering trying to pick somebody up in Denver this summer. I think the traffic flow is good enough that if they're waiting at the curb, you can get in and out quickly.
That airport is one of my options so let us know what you do and how well it works.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
If not the Hotel shuttle.. Have them jump on the long term parking shuttle....may be an easier pick up point...depending on the airport it may allow you to avoid towing through the terminals...In the end I seriously doubt that someone would be stopped towing through the airport unless we go to level ORANGE on the Homeland security scale. Then the checkpoint are put into place.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I pulled into Missoula towing mine. The police gave it a few looks but left me alone. What are they going to do if you do not loiter or break any "parking" rules?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Can npt rember which airport, but atleast one forbid any boxtruck. Did not say no trailers...but I would not want to mess up a day if there was another option. I did make a decision not to drive my TV to Fort Worth airport last night because of the box truck thing. They look at me funny on the freeway let alone the airport