Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I'm not sure of your plans on where to stay in Panama City, but you can always stay at St. Andrews State Park. Check out the link below. I believe all sites have power and water for $26/night.
Main Page - St. Andrews State Park » Florida State Parks

A drive down Scenic County Highway 30-A is a must for some great scenery and architecture. The road runs along the beach and takes you through many different areas including Seaside where the Truman Show with Jim Carey was filmed. It is about 30-40 minutes west of Panama City. Have a safe trip!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I can't help much really, but I will say that the Florida panhandle beaches are the most beautiful beaches in the USA in my opinion. My sister lived in Pensacola for about 10 years, and we often visited Fort Walton Beach, Panama City Beach, Destin, and places in-between when we'd go out to stay with her. You can't go wrong hitting any or all of those destinations.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I plan to stay at the Panama City Beach Naval area. They have full hook-ups for $15.00 per night. Can't beat that. Unknown what I will do on the rest of the trip so far.

Steve
Old 02-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Fun Kill...as it currently stands, I will be attending school for Radiography.Steve

Very cool! Wish you much luck. I'm still looking for a program of interest - that's one that I've skirted by but has been recommended a couple times....
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Steve,

For active/retired members the pass is free (five-park hopper, two water parks, and Disney Quest).

You can purchase up to five companion tickets for friends/family. Cost is $99 ea. for five-park hopper, and $50 more if you want to include the water parks and Disney Quest. You receive a plastic credit card pass that is entered into the computer system at time of purchase. Your visits are tracked electronically, and you do not have to visit all parks on one trip. Passes are valid through December 23, 2009.

Fort Wilderness offers military discounts, and the rate varies with the season. We're heading down next month and are paying $62 per nite for a site that normally costs $105.

If you are in our area, and can get a reservation, I recommend Henderson Beach State Park. Your family will love everything about it.....water and elect only, but the bath houses are fine. Topsail would be my second recommendation, and would have been #1 if not for the higher cost. Topsail does have a pool and full hookups. While staying in our area, you should visit the Armament Museum at Eglin AFB (free).....not as grandiose as the Navy Museum is Pensecola, but very nice.

Someone has already recommended St. Andrews in Panama City, and it is a great park.....but, you have to be a bit careful about which sites you stay at, as some have a tendency to retain a lot of water after rainstorms (for a long time).

If you have any questions on our area, just post them. I would offer to play tour guide, but I think we will be doing our 30-day Westward adventure during the time of your travels.

Chief
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Steve,

For active/retired members the pass is free (five-park hopper, two water parks, and Disney Quest).

You can purchase up to five companion tickets for friends/family. Cost is $99 ea. for five-park hopper, and $50 more if you want to include the water parks and Disney Quest. You receive a plastic credit card pass that is entered into the computer system at time of purchase. Your visits are tracked electronically, and you do not have to visit all parks on one trip. Passes are valid through December 23, 2009.

Someone has already recommended St. Andrews in Panama City, and it is a great park.....but, you have to be a bit careful about which sites you stay at, as some have a tendency to retain a lot of water after rainstorms (for a long time).

If you have any questions on our area, just post them. I would offer to play tour guide, but I think we will be doing our 30-day Westward adventure during the time of your travels.

Chief

Amazing that by showing our Military ID's we can each get a five park hopper pass, and only pay for Collin's ticket. That would prompt us to stay an extra day or two in Orlando to get the use out of those parks since we won't be back anytime soon. Since I am about an hour from SAFB, IL I will look online to try and find that promotion.

As for Panama City, we are staying at the Naval park on the far east edge of Panama City Beach. $15 per night is hard to beat. We plan to arrive in PCB the 4th, and leave the 6th. We may just make a trip over to Eglin. Is that about an hour drive from PCB?

Thanks for the offer Chief, and if you are around, maybe we'll meet up.

Steve
Old 02-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good luck as you return to school, and congrats on the wise decision for a road trip before starting. We love the drive along the Gulf, from Mississippi on through Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Gulf Island National Seashore in Mississippi is a beautiful place to stay, and has resident gators which can be safely observed from a viewing area. If you get up the east coast at all, the sea islands of Georgia and South Carolina are beautiful. Edisto Beach and Hunting Island State Parks in SC are right on the shore, but you would want to get reservations made soon. Have a wonderful and relaxing trip.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have found a small naval station in Panama City Beach to stay at for $15.00 per night with full hook ups!!!!!!

Thats not a bad campground I cant stay there (not military) but I have driven by it several times. I work just around the corner from there also St. Andrews state park is just down the road still to cold to swim in the gulf but a nice place to visit. Some new resturants near there cici's pizza and others...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Steve,

Here is a link to the Military Salute info: Disney's Armed Forces Salute - Free Admission for U.S. Military
I would advise getting the passes at Scott AFB Tour & Travel before you leave home.

Eastern side of PC will probably put you at an hour from Ft. Walton/Eglin......Destin can be a bit slow depending on the time of day/traffic. Let me know when you firm up your dates.....we're traveling 9 May - 7 Jun.

Chief
Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Chief,

We'll already be in Tampa by the time you make your trip. We plan to arrive at PCB on 4 May and Leave 6 May.

Sam...there was a civilian rate listed on the Naval base for use. You may have to go through alot to get on there, but might be worth looking into.

Steve
Old 02-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Cool I just figured it was Military only.. There is a couple of us that live or work in the area (myself and devo) if you need anything just holler....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
First leg is planned

Well the trip down is planned out.

May 1-3 Airstream Rally at Rend Lake. Courtesy park on the 3rd in Huntsville, Alabama.

May 4-5 Travel to Panama City Beach, Florida and stay at the US Naval Coastal Systems Center.

May 6-10 Travel and stay in Palm Harbor, FL. Plans include visiting the Airstream Ranch near Tampa, Busch Gardens Tampa, and possibly a park hopper package to Orlando.

To Be continued.....I want to hear your ideas.

Steve

Tags
alabama, east coast, florida, trip, usa