Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinghick View Post
The Porter Zoo in Brownsville is a nice stop while you are on South Padre. I was there a long time ago and we had fun walking across the border to Mexico, but I suspect it’s not as easy as it used to be. Best wishes for safe travels.
Brownsville Texas has another great point of interest if you like aviation and vintage aircraft. It used to be called the Confederate Air Force Museum but political correctness required a name change. I can't remember the name but it is at the airport in Brownsville. The aircraft on display vary from a Sopwith Camel from WWI to a B29 from WW2 and many others in between. Most of the planes are in flying condition or are being restored. It has been many years since I was there so there may be even more to see there now.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Dallas Airtreamers

1- Recommend doing your battery install at DFW Airstream (dealer) just on the northeast side of downtown Fort Worth. 817-668-7802 - Jennifer

2- If you need a couple nights lodging, your welcome to stay with us in Grapevine, just northeast of DFW Airport. Lots to do around here while waiting for the battery work to be done. Multiple bedrooms, plus our Flying Cloud!

3- We have courtesy parking also, with prior notice, if necessary, for your trailer.

tomjensen@msn.com
817-329-3090
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Confederate Air Force

The "Confederate" Air Force, now called the "Commemorative" Air Force was moved to Addison a few years ago. Dallas suburb. Great stop is interested.
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #24

2019 30' International
Port Jefferson , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Hello!

My wife and I, the AirDreamers, are about to undertake an epic journey! We will be leaving October 5th, 2019, for a seven month trip across the country. We have planned a portion of the journey, but a lot is left up to current circumstances.

Our journey begins in Ohio, 3 hours from the mothership. We won't be stopping as we finished our warranty work several months ago. We plan to head down to Nashville and then Memphis and on to Dallas, Texas. We will be stopping to see the "King's" house at Graceland and quite a few state parks along the way. Hotsprings Nation park is on the agenda!

One of the highlights of the trip will be a one month stay at South Padre Island. Why so special? Elon Musk and SpaceX will be launching the incredible Starship spacecraft, and we are camped 5 miles away! Launched is scheduled for late October and is why we booked all of November! Elon is never on time.

As we travel, I will be reporting signal strength, and bandwidth of our Airstream connect system. I will give you the location and info at the top of each post.

Also, we will be trying out the new solar panels we added to the top of the Airstream. We now have 450 watts of factory solar with 2 Lifeline AGM batteries. If we find an installer along the way, I would like to add lithium batteries and a new converter to the mix. Maybe some suggestions who could do this in the southwest?

We are packing right now for the trip (mostly just clothes as we never take anything out of the trailer when stored) and I have a few mechanical things to check like the ProPride hitch bolts, but we will be on the road soon.

I will have lots of pictures and commentary along the way and maybe even a video or two of exciting things like a space shot! This will be the first time I will be bringing my good camera gear. Canon 5D MIII and lots of good glass. We will have a shared folder on Google for all of the hi-res pictures so if you want an invite to see them, just PM me and I will send you the link. You can leave comments and even post pictures if you like. Welcome aboard the AirShip!

Well, that's it for now. Thanks in advance for coming along.

Tom (turk123)
& Doty!
& Maddie, our dog.
Enjoy your travels.
I’m interested in reading posts about the WiFi ,as it is an update I would like to add to our airstream.
Safe journey
Jacc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyglen View Post
1- Recommend doing your battery install at DFW Airstream (dealer) just on the northeast side of downtown Fort Worth. 817-668-7802 - Jennifer

2- If you need a couple nights lodging, your welcome to stay with us in Grapevine, just northeast of DFW Airport. Lots to do around here while waiting for the battery work to be done. Multiple bedrooms, plus our Flying Cloud!

3- We have courtesy parking also, with prior notice, if necessary, for your trailer.

tomjensen@msn.com
817-329-3090

Do they carry Battleborn batteries? Also, are they experienced in solar?

We stopped there when we were down there last. Indoor showroom Airstream dealer. I will talk to them tomorrow to see what they can do.

We are house sitting in Richardson Texas for my brother and his wife. Airstream will reside under an awning at a local U-haul dealer. Thanks so much for the offer though! Keep in touch and we can go out to eat and grab a beer!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #26
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
They are great dogs! Walter looks like he wants out.

Yes they are great companions. That’s his sad pitiful face that says you are more than 3 foot away from me and I don’t like that.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
AirDreamers New Journey! Follow us.

Ain’t that the truth!!!

Tom & Doty
Old 10-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I believe your trailer already has a Victron MPPT solar controller. That device is fully programable and can do a fine job on lithium batteries.

Doing a direct swap of lead acid in the battery box over to lithium in the same battery box is very much a DIY sort of project. No need to have a dealer involved. The only issue is that the existing batteries are *heavy* to lift out of that battery box.

Indeed the converter / charger will need to be flipped over to a lithium compatible version. If you go with one of the low cost versions, that also is not super tough to do.

Indeed there are the inevitable "this lug on this cable is now the wrong size" sort of problems. Order in a $49 hydraulic crimper from Amazon and spend another $40 on various lugs.

If you want to go a step further and put another pair of lithiums under the center of the sofa, that takes a few more cables and some sort of tie down (like a strap from Harbor Freight) for the batteries. More complex, but still not crazy to do.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Stop and stay just south of Dallas at North Texas Airstream Community (NTAC). Great place with full hookups.
C Gin Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #30
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Safe travels, looking forward to tagging along.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123
We will be in the Two Rivers Campground on the night of the 6th Oct. We spent a lot of time in Nashville on another trip so we are just passing thru! It's a 320-mile day which is quite long for us. We normally don't travel very fast, but this trip we need to get to Dallas by the 12th. Dog watching and house watching my brother's place for two weeks. He and his wife are off to Paris!

Anyway, we will be there! Late!

I hear that. We’ll be there but if you’re just passing through quickly I won’t make it more frantic for you.

We may end up in the Dallas area too. If so I’ll ping you.
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparris View Post
I hear that. We’ll be there but if you’re just passing through quickly I won’t make it more frantic for you.

We may end up in the Dallas area too. If so I’ll ping you.
Great John!

Tom & Doty
Old 10-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So I get up this morning we are two days before we leave for seven months. My connect system is down and I cannot see the trailer from the app. Also, the internet is gone. The peplink modem is on and lights are all green including the cellular light.

What the heck is going on!

I call Jason and he's in a meeting but tries to troubleshoot by texting. I have a call into Airstream customer support but I'm 6th in line and hours away so I set up a callback that saves my place in line.

My salesman calls me out of the blue, but I'm on the phone with AT&T and they don't even have a clue what this account is!

It suddenly hits me. . . . . . wait for it!

I bought my Airstream Classic 30 one year ago today. AT&T let my account expire!

I get on the Airstream link to ATT and it won't let me log in. It says "User name not found" It's my email!!!

I search my emails to see if anyone from ATT has contacted me. Sure enough, they did. Here is what it looks like. It looks like a nefarious third-world scam to me and of course, I ignore it. "ATT plan Nearing end of Time Notification" what is that suppost to mean and what about the "30 minutes % left" Go buy some time from "ATT.com/buyasession" Ya, I'm gonna click on that one.

But it was real, and my Connect timed out and was cut off . . .

Airstream calls me back and I let them know they will be getting lots of calls starting now. "Oh! We are already getting calls. The Internet will not work."

Jason said to click on the renew automatically button. There is none.

Here's another feature. ATT told me that this is just like a prepaid card. Once it expires, it's over. You have to renue the card. If you are on the $25/month plan, and you try to renew after the winter is over, the card expires after 90 days and you have to get a new sim! From who?

You can use the link here to actually get to your existing account (or card) but you need your original user name to go further. Hope you remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT_T_Data_Plan_Nearing_End_of_Time_Notification_-_turksail_gmail_com_-_Gmail.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	353472  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Canfield Ohio (home base)

Data:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	353477  

Tom & Doty
Old 10-04-2019, 07:03 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
So I get up this morning we are two days before we leave for seven months. My connect system is down and I cannot see the trailer from the app. Also, the internet is gone. The peplink modem is on and lights are all green including the cellular light.

What the heck is going on!

I call Jason and he's in a meeting but tries to troubleshoot by texting. I have a call into Airstream customer support but I'm 6th in line and hours away so I set up a callback that saves my place in line.

My salesman calls me out of the blue, but I'm on the phone with AT&T and they don't even have a clue what this account is!

It suddenly hits me. . . . . . wait for it!

I bought my Airstream Classic 30 one year ago today. AT&T let my account expire!

I get on the Airstream link to ATT and it won't let me log in. It says "User name not found" It's my email!!!

I search my emails to see if anyone from ATT has contacted me. Sure enough, they did. Here is what it looks like. It looks like a nefarious third-world scam to me and of course, I ignore it. "ATT plan Nearing end of Time Notification" what is that suppost to mean and what about the "30 minutes % left" Go buy some time from "ATT.com/buyasession" Ya, I'm gonna click on that one.

But it was real, and my Connect timed out and was cut off . . .

Airstream calls me back and I let them know they will be getting lots of calls starting now. "Oh! We are already getting calls. The Internet will not work."

Jason said to click on the renew automatically button. There is none.

Here's another feature. ATT told me that this is just like a prepaid card. Once it expires, it's over. You have to renue the card. If you are on the $25/month plan, and you try to renew after the winter is over, the card expires after 90 days and you have to get a new sim! From who?

You can use the link here to actually get to your existing account (or card) but you need your original user name to go further. Hope you remember.
Hi

If you need a new SIM card, you pick it up at an AT&T store. You will need to know what size you want (there are several sizes). Once you get it, you need to put it into the modem. (which may be on the roof ....).

Bob
Old 10-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Those with a ToGo have their sim on the roof and in the round box. The peplink on a classic is in a wooden box that you have to take apart and to make matters worse, there are two simms in there. I think the white one stays.

Probably making a big deal out of nothing, but the details on this plan probably should have been worked out with ATT. At least let them know there is a plan. I've entered the "drop dead date" into my calendar so I don't go chasing windmills next time.

Tom & Doty
Old 10-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Pre-Pay Plan "Expires" the SIM Card

I got two answers from AT&T on a recent pre-pay plan:

One: The SIM card is deactivated when the pre-pay expires and a new SIM card is needed.

Second Answer: The user has up to 60 days from the expiration date to apply the new prepay to that existing SIM, after wich a new SIM is required.

So not really sure when a new SIM is mandatory.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Set a Reminder

I guess this is a great lesson for all Airstream Connected / ToGo $360 users to set a calendar reminder before the year expires.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
I guess this is a great lesson for all Airstream Connected / ToGo $360 users to set a calendar reminder before the year expires.
Hi

.... or to log on to AT&T (yes you need to create an account password) and set up auto bill pay to a credit card.

Bob
Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well, we are packed. We just got back from a late dinner and we are exhausted. Trailer is hooked up and ready to tow. I had to add 6 pounds of air to the Airstream's tires as the temps dropped from 80 to 55 today. 76 psi to 70 psi in a matter of hours. I like to run at about 80 psi when hot so this should be right.

We've packed several times over the last few years, but this is like moving. You don't want to forget anything, but it's not that critical as you can buy what you missed later on. We eliminated probably over two hundred pounds of items we just did not need for the trip. It's pretty easy now. If we didn't use it during the trip, it is gone. As an example, we did not need the blender we thought we had to have. Used it twice in 7 months. I brought my drone on the last trip. I did not use it once. It's gone! I did bring my good camera and gear and I know I will use it. Cell phones are convenient, but they do not hold a candle to a great camera.

I went through every outside compartment and probably lost 75 pounds of items and tools I just don't need. I took out the hatchet and added a great forest axe I bought. Hatchets are worthless for chopping wood.

I thinned out the tools I carry in the back of the truck also. Why I had two sets of sockets is beyond me. I got rid of two breaker bars also. You get complacent and allow this stuff to just build up. Pretty soon you're overloaded and can't find what you want through the congestion. I'm lean and mean now and despite fearing you might need something down the road, you can always buy it.

I threw out many many USB cables that were taking over my life! How many do you need? I had over 30 and those little USB bricks, gone. I must have removed 12 of them. How many do you need? One with 5 ports.

Clothes! Don't get me started. It's not the wife's issue. She takes very little. It's me! I must have had 35 short sleeve shirts! I can only wear about ten before we do the laundry, so I cut that number in half. If you wear a shirt two time in a week, and your traveling, no one knows your wearing that shirt again. Get over it! I did keep the 35 pairs of underwear! Hey! I change my underwear twice a day sometimes. You get over it.

My wife has a special drying rack that she washes her underwear (in our washing machine - story for another time) and hangs them outside. She's not afraid to display her wears. I'll get that picture for you at a later time! She thinks she is hiding them behind the trailer. We will see.

We bought a great set of cooking pans to eliminate the storage problems we had before. These are nesting pots with removable handles. You know the brand. They fit great in just one drawer. We also utilized stacking crates in the wardrobe for those awkward things like the simple pot and paper towel and canned goods. I'll get a shot of some of this later. I am just too tired.

I told Doty we will be leaving at 6:00 AM. That means she will get me up at 6:30, make coffee, wake me up again at 6:45 and we will leave at 7:30 or 8:00. It's not me! I want to leave a 4:00 AM. I can't even wake up the dog at that time!

I deserve a gin and tonic right now. It's almost 11:00 PM and it won't take long for me to fall asleep thinking about the next seven months on the road.

What a wonderful lifestyle we live.

Goodnight.

Tom & Doty