Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Air Adventure 2016

We are planning on attending the 2016 Air Adventure in Oshkosh. This will be our first time to drive in and plan on camping in Camp Scholler. We travel with 3 cats and plan on using our generator some of the time. Since we will be leaving Escanaba, MI we should arrive at OSH 7 days before the events starts. Should I make reservations for the dry camping in Camp Scholler? Would like to hear from others their experiences RV camping at Air Adventure. This will be our first time back in 11 years and although we are not flying in we are really looking forward to returning to OSH.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We are thinking of attending also, so following the thread... Thanks for starting it!
Bugs
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Sure would like to hear past experiences at the OSH flyin. Going in a week early and wondweing if there will still be some good dry camping sites. In the past people have parked their rv, s on sites several weeks in advance.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
TinyTin

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
We to are thinking of going in 2016. Any and all information anyone can provide will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
TinyTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
TinyTin, we will be attending next year. We will be coming from the Escanaba. The daily rate for dry camping with generator is $29 per day. I'm thinking of going in a week ahead of the opening. I will keep in touch with you.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
TinyTin

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
TinyTin, we will be attending next year. We will be coming from the Escanaba. The daily rate for dry camping with generator is $29 per day. I'm thinking of going in a week ahead of the opening. I will keep in touch with you.

We will be coming from San Antonio. I would like to get a spot with the 24 generator. Do you know when you can start to reserve?? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
I will be there from July 25-31. But may arrive earlier if this is possible.

Ms. Tommie Lauer
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
TinCan, you can reserve a spot now. We live in St. Hedwig. I think we will arrive in OSH a week before the start. Its nice that there will be some other Airstreams in the park.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
I have camped at AirVenture for many years, but this will be my first in an Airstream. Here's part of what I've learned over the past 20 or so years of staying at Camp Scholler.

First, the dry camping is first come, first served--no reservations accepted. EAA has recently (last year) significantly expanded the full hook-ups, and the daily rate is about twice the dry camping rate. Since I've always dry camped I don't know what the drill is re: full hook-ups and reservations. If you want that, call EAA now and inquire.

Coming a week early is a great idea! That's what I will do. There will be plenty of choices for camping. By 3-4 days before the show opens it will be really crowded. Many folks send a "point person" to stake out an area for their group, with others to come later. You're supposed to pay for all spaces marked off, but not all do so. I've been the beneficiary of this, and in other years, the victim.

I usually camp on about 43d Street just South of Lindbergh. If you get too far west of the airfield, it's a significant hike to the flight line. There's a school bus shuttle, but that's cumbersome.

I never want to intrude on others' plans, but is there a desire to camp with the Airstreams in the same general area?

I don't know much about Airstreams since I don't get mine until February, but I know a lot about camping in Camp Scholler and other privately-owned camp sites, so if you have questions just ask. I do know what works, and what doesn't.

There are a lot of shower houses and a zillion port-a-potties that are very well-maintained.

Camp Scholler opens a month before the show starts, so you can come as early as you like. Those staying in the most choice camping areas (like Paul's Woods) do come a month early, stake out their areas, and frequently go back home.

By the way, when dry camping generators have to be turned off by 10PM, but there is a "generator only" area where you can dry camp and run your generator 24/7. Also. there is a pumping service for black water tanks. More than one RV adopts the "Oshkosh drip" for grey water tanks. Don't tell the authorities I said that...

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Bob, thanks very much for posting the information. The full hook ups are $59 per day and the charges start the day the reservation is made. To me its seems unfair for someone to come in and block off an area. That's easy if you live close by but very unfair for those living hundred of miles away. I would like to get as close to Paul's Park as possible. It's difficult walking these days. The buses and trams are usually so crowed that it much faster to walk.

I wouldn't mind parking together with Airstreams. Although we live in the San Antonio are we will be coming from Escanaba, MI.

Again, thanks for the information it's very helpful for me.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Camp Scholler Airstreams

I have my ticket for the week long fly in, and camping at Scholler arriving July 18, leaving July 31, 2016. I will most likely pull my AS over to the dump site about midway through, although I understand there will be those folks who pump out your tank for a fee.

I think it would be great to have some AS folks in the same area....we can talk about JC....LOL
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Joe,
The areas south and west of Paul's Woods are prime camping sites and fill up quickly--probably more than a week before the show starts. The other problem with that area is there's a lot of campers and only one shower room. Thus I've always elected to camp a bit further west where I'm still reasonably close to the south entrance but with three shower rooms to choose from.

There's a rather large disabled (honor system) camping area adjoining Paul's Woods on the west, and it's right next to the south entrance--a prime spot. Anyone having trouble walking or with other mobility issues ought to consider that area. There are rental scooters (like you'd find in Walmart) just inside the gate.

I usually count on walking eight miles a day while at AirVenture. Motrin and good shoes help!

2016 FC 25' FB twin
Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Bob, we are looking forward to the event. It would be great to have some other AS's in the area. The last time we flew in was 2002 and we are really looking forward to returning with the AS. All the information has been very helpful and appreciated. I wanted information from someone who has been there before who could give us some pointers on camping.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
For those considering attending Airventure 2016, remember you have to belong to EAA to camp at Scholler. It's not a big deal; you can do it on-line or at check-in, but I suggest at least a month ahead to be sure you've received your member card.

When we get closer to the event, I can post driving directions in the OSH area should any wish me to do so. It's not hard, but it is somewhat confusing if you've not been there before.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
Old 11-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #15
TinyTin

2006 25' Safari
San Antonio , Texas
Is anyone planning to try and park in the 24 hour generator area? We cannot come up until that Sunday of the show. Our plan is to be there July 24 through the 28th. If someone is going earlier Gould we work out trying to hold a spot for us??

Old 11-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Right now I believe that we will go into the Generator section but not the 24 hour section. It will sure be nice to have some AS's there. If anyone has never been there before boy are you in for a surprise. There is no other event like this one and you can not touch ever aircraft on the field.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTin View Post
Is anyone planning to try and park in the 24 hour generator area? We cannot come up until that Sunday of the show.

Well, I'll be there a week early, and don't mind having a go at it for you. I won't be in the 24-hour generator area, but here's what may give you pause. To "reserve" a camp site, I'd have to know both your EAA member number and have a credit card number to pay for the site. You see, it's not really reserving a place; it's paying the camping fee as if you were there doing it yourself. You may pause giving a stranger you never met (me) your CC info, and you may further pause at paying for the site for several days before you arrive.

If you want me to do this, sometime send me a PM and we'll discuss the details off-line.

You'll need camping credentials to get through the camping check-in. I would accomplish that by leaving your credentials (mainly the window sticker for your TV), together with data as to where the campsite is, at Will Call.

The EAA charges for daily camping for the entire time from arrival to end of show; if you leave early the unused days will be refunded when you turn in your TV's parking sticker at the check-in/out area.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
Old 11-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
For those attending Airventure 2016, there's a special treat at the EAA Museum. For the first time ever, the original nose art pieces saved by the Confederate/Commemorative Air Force will be traveling, and the first stop is the EAA Museum.

This nose art--some 30 pieces--was saved in the late 40's and early 50's by CAF members from primarily B-17 and B-24 bombers before they were cut up and scrapped.

The Museum is a treat by itself, but this traveling exhibit is not to be missed.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
Old 12-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Well, I have been out of touch for a week. I tripped getting off a ladder and fractured my right hip. Surgery was last Tuesday and now I am at home with physical therapy. Working to get back up to snuff.

Bob, I will send you a PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
We will also be in Escanaba, MI and this is on my husbands bucket list so we are in.

Sorry to hear about the break, those dam ladders!

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote