Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Ray, you start some very eclectic but interesting threads.

We lived in Boulder County about 3 miles from the first hills of the Front Range for 22 years. I can remember a few times when we could see and smell some pretty good sized fires from our back porch. Most of the fires in that area were caused by lightning. It was those darn careless thunderstorms.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Number vs Acres

Bob
Old 07-29-2016, 07:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have never been in a western forest despite working in Neb. and Wy. in 1960. Do they have fire cuts such as european countries do? these are permanent clear cuts if fires start they are contained to area between cuts, if US doesn't Why not? better to lose few trees than massive losses. These cuts could be harvested and used not wasted, or do tree huggers rule and forbid.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Most prevention measures in US forests have been abandoned along with many of the fire breaks that you mention.

Cattle grazing has also become a no no, meaning that more grass and underbrush adds fuel to the fire.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Most prevention measures in US forests have been abandoned along with many of the fire breaks that you mention.

Cattle grazing has also become a no no, meaning that more grass and underbrush adds fuel to the fire.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.
This may be accurate in the eastern U.S. forests, but not in the western forests. In fact, I was at a meeting with the Forest Service just last night to discuss this topic. Unfortunately, it’s become a hugely complex issue. You can’t just go do a clear cut, or “fuel reduction project” anymore. They’ve got to consider safety, property rights, air pollution, threatened or endangered species, water impacts, access limitations, soil impacts, recreation impacts, viewshed impacts, timber value, socio-economic impacts, wildlife impacts, grazing impacts, environmentalist objections, etc. etc. Therefore, it’s not uncommon for the planning for a fuels project to take 2-3 years. Then, if the project involves a controlled burn, you’ve got to wait for the right conditions, which could take several more years. Because of all this the projects seem to be smaller, but more scientifically based. The project we were discussing last night involved modeling burn patterns. With the model, the thought was that they could treat a small area that would essentially cut the “fuse” that would carry the fire, and stop the spread. It’s quite fascinating.

Also, grazing is very common. In our area, all public lands are open to grazing unless it is precluded for a specific reason. So most lands are grazed. Some areas have sensitive habitats that make it incompatible for grazing, and those are carefully identified.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
What I saw in europe was not back fired cuts but clean cuts, but tree huggers in this country rule over common sense letting billions of dollars wasted because of wild fires plus lives lost because we can't do these things as other countries do.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I get a kick out of the graphs. It appears the percentage of human caused fires is lowest where the population is density is lowest and thunderstorms are more prevalent. I wonder what fool paid to have that study done.

Ken
P.S. I think the flowers after your name just went up in smoke.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
The Bighorn National Forest just posted new fire restrictions today. they're very restrictive.Bighorn Fire Restrictions 2016.pdf
Old 07-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is this a dryer than normal summer in Wyoming. I thought they got a decent snowpack and rain this year.

Kelvin
Old 07-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Is this a dryer than normal summer in Wyoming. I thought they got a decent snowpack and rain this year.

Kelvin
I think the southern part of the state got better snowpack over the winter than we did up north. I think our problem is that we got good rainfall in April and May, then the rain stopped almost entirely. So we got really good vegetation growing at just the right time, but then it dried up. So there is a good fuel load out there just waiting for a spark.