Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Age problem

Started to plan the maiden voyage of our 1973, very excited until the first RV park the" sand an surf" in the san diego area ,ca refused us because our RV is older than 10 years. Has anyone else run into this problem? Also, any reccomendations of RV parks in that area.
dmand001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
yes, we had the same problem in Topeka, KS. Actually in one that requires "management approval" tonight... only the office didn't ask the age of the unit on the phone, we arrived after hours and we didn't know it until we read the rules post unhitching.... but we are only staying overnight.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
When I talked to the main desk she told me that our airstream was to old but maybe we could buy a new RV.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
While not in San Diego proper I have two recommendations for you. The first one is San Mateo (part of the San Onofre State Park) on Camp Pendelton about 1 mile east of the 5 Freeway. Very nice campground with 30 amp power and water (no sewer hook up). The second one is Crystal Cove Moro in Laguna Beach. Each site has fantastic 360* views of the ocean and hills. They also have 30 amp power and water but no sewer hook up. Unfortunately they do not allow camp fires (propane firepits are okay) or charcoal BBQs, but the views more than make up for these drawbacks. As an added "feature" there are no age limits for your rig.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
We have stayed in many age restricted parks from coast to coast in our '63. Our trailer has been restored and looks practically new. Most of these "resort" type parks use the age limit to restrict RVs that are in poor shape. If your Airstream will pass for less than 10 years old (condition wise) then you shouldn't have many problems. We have yet to be refused. I am sure that I have now jinxed myself.

Some parks also have a minimum length (usually 26'). Our Trade Wind is only 24' and I have been refused at a couple of those parks. They mainly cater to motorhomes.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
We have stayed in many age restricted parks from coast to coast in our '63. Our trailer has been restored and looks practically new. Most of these "resort" type parks use the age limit to restrict RVs that are in poor shape. If your Airstream will pass for less than 10 years old (condition wise) then you shouldn't have many problems. We have yet to be refused. I am sure that I have now jinxed myself.

Some parks also have a minimum length (usually 26'). Our Trade Wind is only 24' and I have been refused at a couple of those parks. They mainly cater to motorhomes.
I had never had the experiance of being told my rig was "too old " to be allowed access to a campground. why would age be a problem for RV parks?
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I think like Mike stated above it's an "out" for some RV parks to not allow poorly maintained RVs in their park. My guess is that if your trailer is well maintained and not deemed an "eyesore" by snootier standards, that there will be few problems. Of course, if the park is wanting only a certain type of RV (read A-Class, etc) it's used as an excuse. Those are not my kind of park anyway. Not everyone sees the beauty of a vintage rig, unfortunately.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Maybe somebody should open a very nice park which only allows trailers that are 10 years of age or older. I think camping is camping. My goodness what is this world coming to.

Brian
Old 10-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
Standing on the other side of the check in counter I can tell you that is is a liability exposure issue. Our insurance companies are insisting on these kind of restrictions.
Lets face it we've all seen some pretty dodgy old rigs in our travels.
Would you feel safe camping next to one of these old units knowing that the owner has "fixed" his furnace or water heater with a sledge hammer and a chisel.
When I took over this business 7 yrs ago I insisted that everyone get a propane leak inspection done. 22 out of 50 trailers failed that test. I actually found one where the fridge was removed and plumbers putty and electrical tape was used to "cap" off the gas line. The owner did wonder why he sometimes smelled propane.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Recently had an issue in Mesa AZ when we took our '93 Itasca MH to meet up with friends for a week. Since it (the MH) is in excellent shape, the management relented and we spent a nice time with friends. I see no problem in exercising property rights when it comes to age/condition of RV's wishing to use a private facility. By the same token, you're free to move on.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I have heard of people misrepresenting the age of their AS TTs when asked during a telephone reservation. After all, is the average RV camp checkin person really very likely to know the age of your AS, assuming that it's not really ratty-looking?

Some are, of course. Several are on this very board.

By the way, I am not recommending this as a good thing to do, I'm just repeating something I have heard...
Old 10-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
This is becoming a more common practice in seasonal campgrounds that are afraid the unit will be abandon at the end of the season. If you have ever been in a campground that has unit that clearly have been there for years without being used you will see why.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
san mateo , California
Wow

Thank you all for the infromation. My problem was that I talked to the park only over the phone and I understand how many RV's over 10 years old can be falling apart. This is very new to us. We bought our TT last year because it was in wonderful condition outside. The inside is a work in progress.(LOL)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
There was a long thread about this issue a while back. I haven't encountered this myself, but several people said that telling the campground it was an Airstream helped a lot. Or telling them it was a newer one, because no one but other Airstreamers can tell the difference anyway. Or taking your business elsewhere if possible.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Yossie

2008 684 International
Ramsbottom , Bury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian
Maybe somebody should open a very nice park which only allows trailers that are 10 years of age or older. I think camping is camping. My goodness what is this world coming to.

Brian
One of these actually exists in France.

www.airstreameurope.com

We've stayed and it's so cool its chilled!
Yossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Yossie:

I checked out the website. I would like to camp there. It looks like you folks know how to have a great time. I like the yurt / spa. What a great idea for a campground. The bar looks very inviting with the airstream cover. Good English beer (smooth and creamy) hot tubbing and airstreaming what more could one ask for?

Brian