Old 07-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
We pull our 30' International with an F250 with the 6.7 diesel, and we average about 15 mpg, with most of our miles out west, in Colorado and New Mexivo.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
We pull a 27FB FC with our 2012 F250 Diesel and average 13-14 MPG overall at 65 MPH day in day out on flatland, desert or high mountains. The most we ever seen diesel fuel sell for was Reno NV in 2012 at $4.44 a gallon, now it's $2.15 down the street. I never worry about MPG or cost as we made the commitment to travel and feel that a solid investment in the "front office" to get the "house" to where we want to go safely and with dispatch is the price we pay to chase our dreams. I do not use the 250 as a daily driver however so no real test on non-tow mileage.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Our Ram 1500 Ecodiesel gets 16-17 pulling our Airstream 25 FC in normal conditions. Most of our driving is without the Airstream where it delvers 28-29 mpg on the highway. It is the 8-speed transmission that makes the complete power train here, and the 3.92 axle gears work well with a mid-size Airstream.

The are several SUV's with turbodiesel engines in the 3.0 liter range that deliver great economy and the owners are quite happy with them towing their Airstreams.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
If fuel consumption is a concern look to a popup trailer as air drag is a huge factor in determining fuel burn.
Not much difference really. We got 19 MPG towing a 2,000lb Coleman pop up and 16MPG towing the 23' Airstream. Note imperial gals.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Not much difference really. We got 19 MPG towing a 2,000lb Coleman pop up and 16MPG towing the 23' Airstream. Note imperial gals.
These MPG threads are always so entertaining. I'm going to get my trip computer recalibrated. Then I'll be back.

Bruce
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #20
Mark and Marilyn

Vintage Kin Owner
Joshua , Texas
Tow Vehicle

I am going to step into this discussion and sing the praises of a Diesel. I have a Dodge Cummins with 150,000 miles on th clock. I pull a 34 foot Avion. I have pulled lighter trailers around 7000 lbs with V8 gas and they always seemed to be working hard with the load. Downshifting on small hills, no engine brake, high RPM. The Cummins is a 2012 800 foot lbs of torque at 1700 rpm, when pulling torque is king ask any truck driver. With the Avion the truck sits at 1700 RPM at 65 miles per hour and that's it no straining no shifting. Need to slow down the engine brake and the transmission work together to slow things down. I am not certain what the Avion weighs(My wife packs heavy) but likely over 10,000 lbs. on the road at 65 you can't here the engine run. We average 12.8 MPG., With the wind seen 14.5, against the wind under 11. Go out and look at a good used Diesel they are 300,000 mile setups easy, likely more. Purchase a Vehicle to tow and you won't regret it. And never wonder how your going to get the next home improvement project home from The building supply store.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:40 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Priorities.....

First, get a capable, safe & comfortable rig that you LIKE, any modern TV will get better MPG's than 10 yrs ago.

When new, our first Burb got 10mpg towing, I did all kinds of mods & got it to 12.5, it took 165k to amortize the cost....I no longer fret the mpg's.

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #22
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Best Towing Advice - Can Am, London, Ont. Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale49 View Post
I just bought a brand new 2017 27 foot AS Serenity. New to RVing. I am not even buying a TV until I live in the AS for a while and understand what kind of hitch, etc I need. I'll have the AS towed around by professionals until then.
We are in our 3rd yr of RVing. The best thing we ever did was to consult Andy Thompson of Can Am RV in London Ontario, Canada. He is "the" expert in tow set ups. He writes articles on the subject for RV magazines. He has many American customers who bring their rigs to him for proper set up. Do yourself a favour and have a conversation with him before you make any definite decisions.
www.CanAmRV.ca 1 866 226 2678.

Hope you learn to love AS RVing as much as we do.
Cheers,
Carolyn & Ross Pawson
WBCC # 6201
Old 07-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Advice on tow vehicle with best gas mileage

Starting from scratch is the best approach as the OP is doing. Yes, a turbocharged Diesel will be best on fuel, but that shouldn't be the only consideration as to "economy". Low initial purchase price and low operating cost go hand in hand.

But, first, one needs to know the annual cost for all miles travelled in a year. AAA and EDMUNDS both have calculators. Fuel is less than half, on average.

Modifying how one drives the single or multiple family vehicles during the year will have the greatest impact. 90% of us go to 90% of the same places 90% of the time. That's ripe for combining multiple trips into one. Avoiding cold starts. And then using a no left turn routing after going to the farthest point from the house via freeway (if possible). Use the warmed up vehicle to work back towards the house. On a Saturday. And drive not at all on Sunday.

I took the challenge from an engineer about raising my already very good town mpg. With the above and some improved technique, I increased town mpg by over 20%. That was enough that, extrapolated from that 1100-miles over the course of a year -- and at the then current price of diesel -- I just "paid" for 5000-miles of free RV travel with my rig.

In the same vein, on road operation is best controlled by planning all stops in advance. Gentler terrain, less traffic, and so forth (where FE is the overriding concern). Travel speeds of 58-63/mph are best for FE as well as safety. In a 300-350/mile day (longer is strongly contraindicated), traveling faster is of no benefit time wise. No lane changing or passing, remaining carefully lane centered, etc. A break every two hours. Fuel stops on same side of road travel. Combined meal and fuel, etc.

A bit of discipline goes a VERY long way. New habits. What one winds up with is (important) the ability to predict fuel cost for a given trip. This means recording all gallons and all miles. Year round. Any type of operation.

The best TV is the one which best suits DD duties AND can tow the trailer. Preferably, with fully independent suspension plus rack & pinion steering, as these specs trump all others for safe handling, steering and braking, solo or towing.

FE has its place, but NOT outside of the annual transportation budget.

Overall, towing one of these trailers is a 40% drop in FE from solo where the climate, terrain, speed and vehicle load is otherwise the same. Trends downward from there to 50%, but smarter choices in vehicle spec and operator training can move it towards (but not all the way) towards 30%.

MPG is a game of tenths. Whatever the combined rig spec, there is room for improvement afterwards (hitch, brakes, align, etc; as well as smarter operation).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Thumbs down Armada

I have a Nissan Armada with tow package rated for 9000lbs. I pull a 28' AS. My target speed is 63-65 using tow mode; any less and the torque drops to where it downshifts a lot; any faster and you're just burning gas; and 65 is safer than 80 imho. 63-65 turns out to be about 2200 rpm in tow mode.

Two big factors on mileage are the terrain (flat or mountains) and how fast you drive.

We have just competed a 3,600 mi trip from Seattle to St Louis in all kinds of terrain. I get almost 12 in mostly flat terrain, 10-11 in mountains / high altitude where you're in 3rd a lot with 3000-3500 rpm. Average for entire trip 11.5.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:08 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Starting from scratch is the best approach as the OP is doing. Yes, a turbocharged Diesel will be best on fuel, but that shouldn't be the only consideration as to "economy". Low initial purchase price and low operating cost go hand in hand.

But, first, one needs to know the annual cost for all miles travelled in a year. AAA and EDMUNDS both have calculators. Fuel is less than half, on average.

Modifying how one drives the single or multiple family vehicles during the year will have the greatest impact. 90% of us go to 90% of the same places 90% of the time. That's ripe for combining multiple trips into one. Avoiding cold starts. And then using a no left turn routing after going to the farthest point from the house via freeway (if possible). Use the warmed up vehicle to work back towards the house. On a Saturday. And drive not at all on Sunday.

I took the challenge from an engineer about raising my already very good town mpg. With the above and some improved technique, I increased town mpg by over 20%. That was enough that, extrapolated from that 1100-miles over the course of a year -- and at the then current price of diesel -- I just "paid" for 5000-miles of free RV travel with my rig.

In the same vein, on road operation is best controlled by planning all stops in advance. Gentler terrain, less traffic, and so forth (where FE is the overriding concern). Travel speeds of 58-63/mph are best for FE as well as safety. In a 300-350/mile day (longer is strongly contraindicated), traveling faster is of no benefit time wise. No lane changing or passing, remaining carefully lane centered, etc. A break every two hours. Fuel stops on same side of road travel. Combined meal and fuel, etc.

A bit of discipline goes a VERY long way. New habits. What one winds up with is (important) the ability to predict fuel cost for a given trip. This means recording all gallons and all miles. Year round. Any type of operation.

The best TV is the one which best suits DD duties AND can tow the trailer. Preferably, with fully independent suspension plus rack & pinion steering, as these specs trump all others for safe handling, steering and braking, solo or towing.

FE has its place, but NOT outside of the annual transportation budget.

Overall, towing one of these trailers is a 40% drop in FE from solo where the climate, terrain, speed and vehicle load is otherwise the same. Trends downward from there to 50%, but smarter choices in vehicle spec and operator training can move it towards (but not all the way) towards 30%.

MPG is a game of tenths. Whatever the combined rig spec, there is room for improvement afterwards (hitch, brakes, align, etc; as well as smarter operation).
very well explained. Discipline while driving is everything...I would NEVER get the same FE when not in cruise control for example.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #26
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Steve 6919 has a point. Check out the future:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-use...03332623.html?

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:37 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
1999 34' AS.. Close to 10,000 pounds (scale weight).
2012 Chevy Silverado crew cab Duramax 2500HD, 4x4.

Duramax alone, 12 MPG when in "REGEN", 18-20 MPG when running properly.
Dmax and AS... 10-12 MPG..as low as 9MPG using a grocery store brand (big diesels fill up a lot there..so I thought I was ok)

You might think gas power is better... Maybe for in town frequent start and stop..

Soapbox warning... Skip to end or on to next post.

Our Dmax HATES biodiesel. Yes, hates. MPG drops over 2MPG when running close to 5% bio... More when diesel is diluted further with more "bio"...

I once filled up at a major truck stop and towing the AS, I was hitting 14-15 and the "regen" cycles diminished.

I have little faith that diesel is consistent across refills. This is a known issue in the Marine Towing industry and petro exploration. While there are to many factors affecting the "fuel use" across numerous tows, you should see the gunk some suppliers pump... I have seen that in marine vessel inspections (marine surveyors). Also the number of fuel filters some loads clog up... Really inconsistent.

In Texas the governmental arm monitoring fuel quality says "if you want the fuel you pay for, use dispensers with separate hoses"... �� Yup.. My MC used less than 5 gallons to fill on an average fuel stop and I noticed varying performance changes. When I asked the government they said "oh, we pump at least 5 gallons on the single hose dispensers befor we sample.... Because not doing that causes varying test results due to mixing of the fuel grades. ".

Climbing off soapbox...

The Dmax is good for doing the job... All day long...never a Heat, handling or power issue. My sons father in law has same truck in gas and 2x4... Gets 6-7MPG towing similar weight trailer at 60-65..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:30 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Advice on tow vehicle with best gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our Ram 1500 Ecodiesel gets 16-17 pulling our Airstream 25 FC in normal conditions. Most of our driving is without the Airstream where it delvers 28-29 mpg on the highway. It is the 8-speed transmission that makes the complete power train here, and the 3.92 axle gears work well with a mid-size Airstream.

The are several SUV's with turbodiesel engines in the 3.0 liter range that deliver great economy and the owners are quite happy with them towing their Airstreams.

As an aside, have you ever run the same route solo and then hitched where the truck weighs the same but for the TW? This would be the accurate percentage penalty in fuel consumption. 40% is a given no matter TV spec (1966 or 2016), but you "should" be less than this given the same route and travel speed.

Sure would be interested to see it if you ever did the experiment. I'll do it some point, and would be interested in any other TD truck pulling one of our trailer types does it. But especially the ED. The one tons push too much mass. The 3.OL ED "ought" to be the champ in least penalty.

As it stands, it's barely above what my four plus ton truck can do solo, and not really higher than my 65' 17k-lb rig sees in the South Central US.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote