Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
Advice on parks in Redwood County

Any advice on good parks to stay at in Northern California redwood country? We have never been in that area and would love to see the giants. We have a 30' classic we full time in, are currently in WA visiting one of our daughters until next month. On our way here we had some repairs made to our trailer at the Airstream factory in OH. Great experience. Thanks for any advice.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
We stayed at Jedediah Smith State Park last year. Reserve through Reserve America.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcat2 View Post
Any advice on good parks to stay at in Northern California redwood country? We have never been in that area and would love to see the giants. We have a 30' classic we full time in, are currently in WA visiting one of our daughters until next month. On our way here we had some repairs made to our trailer at the Airstream factory in OH. Great experience. Thanks for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	121.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	762.1 KB
ID:	193064  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Wow! Bill, so many good choices on the north coast of CA. As Jackcat2 said Jed smith is a good place to start, then I would Take hwy101 and go South to Patrick's Point SP and visit the little town of Trinidad, great hole in the wall restaurant over looking the bay and marina to have breakfast, beautiful town. Then South on 101 again to The Avenue Of The Giants, Humboldt Redwoods SP or Richardson Grove SP. You will pass so many great places to stay. Go to AAA and grab a map the Camp Book and Tour Book. Bring a camera and take photos and post them here as you go. We would all like to revisit through your lens.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
With such a big trailer you may it hard to fit into most state parks campsites. I've never camped here, but this private RV park looks well cared for and is in the middle of redwood country.

http://www.elkcountryrvresort.com

Patrick's Point, a state park with a large campground, I recall does have a lot of large sites.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
A few years ago we stayed at Humbolt on our way back from Napa. We had reservations and I had been through the red woods before as a kid and wanted my wife to see them all these years later.

I had trouble finding the campgrounds for a lack of signage. When we finally got to our site it was a very tight fit. There were trees lining the road in and I swear we got through some of them with just inches to spare on each side. Our site wasn't anything special although we were deep into the forest and the trees were indeed huge.

We were in a no utility site and I recall the price was a tad over $50 a night. I felt a bit sorry for all the young families around us in tents with kids running around. A bit spendy, I think.

The next night we were in Brookings, Oregon at Harris Beach State Park right next to the ocean. Full hook ups for under $30. Quite a difference.

I think reservations are a good idea for this area as it is a great attraction. Tell them about the size of your trailer and ask them for suggestions about accessible sites. The Redwoods are amazing and something everyone should see.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
The picture is our 29' Liner and 20' car. The site was a pull through and there was plenty of room. The Reserve America states the size allowable at each site. Although we qualify for an Accessible site, we were too late to make the reservation and settled for a "regular" site. We have had no problems with the Liner and Lincoln at State and National Park sites.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
With such a big trailer you may it hard to fit into most state parks campsites. I've never camped here, but this private RV park looks well cared for and is in the middle of redwood country.

Welcome to Elk Country Rv Resort and Campground

Patrick's Point, a state park with a large campground, I recall does have a lot of large sites.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
This thread (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...th-105850.html) has some good info. If you need more drop me a PM as I live very close to that area.
Taj MaHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
The picture is our 29' Liner and 20' car. The site was a pull through and there was plenty of room. The Reserve America states the size allowable at each site. Although we qualify for an Accessible site, we were too late to make the reservation and settled for a "regular" site. We have had no problems with the Liner and Lincoln at State and National Park sites.

Bill
I've camped at Jedediah Smith on and off for nearly 20 years. It is a truly wonderful campground location. In the past few years they've slowly been closing the campground down. Apparently there are Native American artifacts underground and as a result they've decided they cannot repair the restrooms. So the solution is to ban use of that part of the forest. The rub is places the natives found nice a few hundred years ago we find nice today too, but now we cannot camp there.

The rangers actively encourage people to camp instead at Mill Creek Campground several miles away. I once drove through that campground and found it rather unpleasant. Not near a river and most campsites on the steep hillside.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
JandD

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Weaverville , California
Advice on parks in redwood county

Coming from the north Jediah State Park is an excellent choice. Although I would not rule out Mill Creek, just south of Crescent City. I worked there one summer, there are some nice campsites. Next I would stay at Patrick's Point not a redwood park but in a very nice area. Then Humboldt Redwoods and the Avenue of the Giants is a must see. Try their Hidden Springs campground. At the southern end of their range is Julia Phieffer Burns State Park in the Big Sur Country.

That should get you into some of the best campgrounds.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
JackCat,

We stayed at the "Ancient Redwoods" rv park just off the Avenue of the Giants back in July.

A very nice rv park and close to everything in the area. Nice owners but the store is a little thin in product. the bathrooms are clean and we didn't even have to level our 16' Bambi on the asphalt pad.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Surprise , Arizona
Thanks for all of the advice. Will check them all out ahead of our planned visit next month.
Jackcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote