Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cape Coral , Florida
Advice on new A/S.

I pick up my first tt on this coming Saturday at Ewalds Airstream in Milwaukee. They have been really great to work with. It is a new 27 FB 2007 SE. I have a lot of experience with boat systems and there seems to be much in common with tt's, this gives me some confidence in spotting problems. But this new for me! Any suggestions or cautions I should take when making the final inspection and picking it up?

I'll be towing it to Florida on Sunday/Monday.

cmreumund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
Stay around the dealership vicinity( local camp ground) until you have a chance to ask any questions that may come up.Take the time at the walk thru to ask questions,it can be alot to remember. Remember it is a house on wheels and things can happen.Once you are comfortable ,hit the road and enjoy!

lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bong Recreational Area is about 40 miles south of Ewald's off I-94. Electric hookups too. Would not be a bad first stop. Heading another 15-25 miles south, I also suggest Chain O Lakes State Park, but do not go to Illinois Beach State Park....way too may teenie boppers and riff raff in that place, even if you got a lake side spot..not worth it....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
1996 34' Classic
1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
We picked up our '08 Safarie 27FBSE in January. THis was our 2nd AS and even as experienced Streamers, there were some things we didn't find until we actually used the unit. What we found was:

One of the interior aluminum panels over the dining area at the rear of the trailer looked like it had been cut by a drunken sailor. Don't know what we'll do about that one.
The 'spritzer' in the sink leaked
The factory failed to completely undercoat one of the wheel wells and rust has already shown it's ugly head
The coating on the inside of the rear bumber is peeling
The latch for the lid on the propane tanks is rusting
The fuse for the power jack on the tongue continually blows. (We had the dealer install an in-line resettable fuse to eliminate the issue)
In spite of having the pull out pantry, there is less storage room for kitchen stuff than in our 22'. We went to Wal-Mart and bought some stackable storage bins and put them in 1/2 of the Wardrobe in the hallway. I used nylon drawstraps to secure them so they don't fly all over the place while we travel.
The rubber seal that holds the screens in place for the windows has started to pop out in a couple of places.

Other than these things, we love it. It's 6 feel longer than our first AS.
2005 F-150 5.4L Supercab 4X4 (Betsy 3)
2008 Safari 27FB SE (Arvin as in RV'ing)
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I would stay in it and use everything that night...shower, oven, tv, microwave...etc...we offer folks to stay right here on our lot so we can work on any issues that might arise overnight (we have full hookups)...that way everything can be right before you leave.

Airstream of Arkansas

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Do as Airhog suggests. We spent the first night on the dealer's lot in Salt Lake City. They don't have full hookup like AS/AK but they gladly ran power and water out to us. The one night was enough to finds the little bugs which were taken care of the next morning. I think the long list of problems like Ford Truck listed abpve are few and far between. We've never experienced anything like that.
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Make sure you bring along your sewer hose, water hose, electrical extension cord and anything you can think of that you might need on the trip to Florida.

Although, if you intend to accomplish the trip in two days there won't be any time for anything but driving and sleep...

AIR 22828
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Look at everything

I have several simple suggestions:

Take your time during the inspection and delivery, a typical time allotment is about 2 hours, don't be afraid to take longer, most of us missed many things that could have been caught during the inspection had we just taken more time. Sure the dealer will fix anything you find after you drive away, but each time you take it back it costs you time and fuel, try to limit the down time by getting as much taken care of at delivery.

Read the threads on quality issues here on the forum. Silvertwinkie started several great threads with lots of information from new owners that can help you know what to look for in advance.

Enjoy your new Airstream.
Travel is in my blood, adventure is my passport, aluminum is my favorite construction medium, and therefore, an Airstream was my destiny.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ben Gay

Buy a tube of Ben Gay to massage your aching cheek muscles - that stupid grin you just can't wipe off starts to hurt after a while.

Congrats! Paula
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2008 27' International CCD FB
Bothell , Washington
Congrats! Enjoy!

Air # 20467
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Very carefully check for filiform corrosion. If you find any it is not covered by warranty, there is no cure that probably wouldn't make it look worse now and it will just get worse over time. If you're not familiar with this problem suggest you check out the thread Corrosion Problems With New Airstreams. In my opinion if you find any tell them to keep the trailer - and on a 2007 I'll be surprised if you don't.
Al - K4GLU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
have owned two airstreams to this advice is to keep your ad phone # handy since at least for me it was hard to absorb everything that they go over when they deliver the trailer to you for the 1st time.on my 2nd delivery my 16 year old son took charge with the ad rep and at least he was able to pickup things that probably i would of had to call about.i remember my son showing me that i almost towed the trailer before turning off the water pump.also the 1st winter that he helped me winterize the trailer he reminded me to put some antifreeze thru the pump since when the trailer was delivered to me the water tank and pump had been used for our overnite stay at the dealership.when im out on the road it is invaluable to have someone at the ad that you can communicate with.this is my 2nd new trailer that i have purchased from colonial and my exoerience before and after the sale has been very pleasant.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Take cell phone numbers with you! We had the number of the salesman, the brake and hitch installer and the "walk through" expert. Our first two nights out, we made phone calls. Simple solutions were forthcoming, but we didn't know the answers. Sure felt good being able to call someone with answers.

Trying to make long hauls when 'streaming is a new experience isn't the best idea. It is a tiring experience and getting too tired isn't the way to a successful start. We've found that 250-350 miles is a long day hauling. There should always be time to relax, unwind and look around once you get to your campground. That first couple of nights isn't always going to be smooth - backing in, unhitching (if you choose to do so) and preparing your first meals and going to bed. Leave plenty of time to do all those things so getting up the next morning, preparing to leave and heading out finds you in a well rested frame of mind. Traveling with an AS is the best way of traveling. Last February we picked up our first AS and we've enjoyed it VERY much. We managed to spend about 30 nights on it, hauling it nearly 2,000 miles on 11 different trips. Check the tire pressure and those lug nuts regularly. Don't be in a rush and enjoy the trip! Wave at all the AS you see on the trip (not many I'll bet). Enjoy your new AS - it's a hoot!
2007 25' Airstream International SS OB
2004 Nissan Armada
Equalizer hitch
Prodigy brake controls

pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote