Old 01-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you're spending more than a few days, I think you can still get an annual parks pass good for any National Park or Conservation Area. The last one I bought cost about $60, I think. It might be worth asking about once you arrive at the park. Otherwise you're paying daily park access passes that add up in cost pretty quickly.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Here's the park fee website: Parks Canada - Banff National Park - Buying a Park Pass

We didn't pay $21, it was $18.10 (one senior, one adult). In the US the whole car gets in for one fee, in Canada each person pays, or you get a family pass which is the same as 2 adults. You have to stay about a week for the annual pass to make sense. Thus, Banff and Jasper are much more expensive than the most expensive US parks. I don't know about the other NP's in Canada. Our experience is that Canadian NP's are better maintained.

Gene

Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #31
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
We planning to visit Canadian Rockies this summer 2011. Traveling from Southern California. Have visited Banff by car 4 years ago going up Intersate 5 thru Washington. This time looking into going up 395 to Canada. Has any one tried that route with a trailer?
I will be spending 4 weeks on this trip, also what is the best time in summer months.
Thanks in advancd
Old 02-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Airstream. We'll most likely drive from their into Jasper for a day or 2. We'll only have 5 nights in Banff. I could still consider starting in Jasper for 2 nights then spending 3 nights in Banff but I hate to move the Airstream that much once I'm set up. Gene you mentioned Lake Louise, does this campground allow campfires? Any recommendations for a specific campground in this area? We like a secluded wooded setting with no hookups and having a campfire is a must. I'm open to staying outside the park if there is a better campground as long as it's central to visiting both parks. Time is tight for us on this trip so I need to be able to reserve.
I still have a lot of homework to do on boarder crossing regulations. I'll be taking firewood with me but it will be bundled from a retail store. This has never been a problem in a US NP. I think the wood is either treated or certified as insect and disease free. I guess I could keep it to a minimum in case I have to discard it, since I've read they provide the wood in the campgrounds for the fee in the Canadian Parks.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond View Post
I liked the Canadian Rockies, gas was $1 and the speed limit was 100.
100 it is.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	129-2965_IMG.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	122401  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #34
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Kindly buy and burn your firewood locally. No one ever intends to spread pests, but they spread nonetheless.

You will have a wonderful trip. We stayed at the cg at Lake Louise and am pretty sure they had fire rings, but my memory is failing. Need to go back and see, I guess. We enjoyed Banff and Jasper Parks as much as we have ever enjoyed any place. It is truly one of the special places on this Earth.

Thanks - Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
I'll be taking firewood with me but it will be bundled from a retail store. This has never been a problem in a US NP. I think the wood is either treated or certified as insect and disease free. I guess I could keep it to a minimum in case I have to discard it, since I've read they provide the wood in the campgrounds for the fee in the Canadian Parks.
Please reconsider bringing your own wood. You may unintentionally bring parasites with you. We've already had our forestry industry decimated by the pine beetle. There's plenty of wood here that you can purchase or have for free.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Charlie, we stayed at the campground nearest Lake Louise. It was wooded and the pads were nice. No hookups. I have no idea if there were fire rings. A previous post said the fee was for a fire and the wood was included. I think in Yukon they give you the firewood with the camping fee in territorial parks, but I'm not even sure of that. I think you'd have to check with Canadian border people about bringing wood in, but in recent years there have been more and more restrictions on transporting wood and these rules can change daily.

We were at LL at the end of May and the lake was mostly frozen. There were few people in the campground but another Airstream (from Grand Marais, Minn.) was across the road from us. We met them and then met them again in Fairbanks.

There are many campgrounds in the two parks, though not too many were open when we were there.

For the time you are there, you may want to purchase a longer term pass, but you'll find Parks Canada is much more expensive than US parks (but they are better kept). The two countries currency has been right around par for quite a while and there are no discounts that way.

The info on the Parks Canada website is not always clear (just like US parks websites), but you can e-mail to get some clarity or call them.

I am not sure what one would do in the town of Banff for five days. It's very touristy there, as well as in Lake Louise and Jasper. There are campgrounds along the Icefields Pkwy between the two towns where you could camp for part of that period and hike or just hang out. There are also some national parks west in BC. It doesn't take all that long to go from Banff to Jasper and day trips to each town and the Lake could be done from somewhere in the middle. You have to check on availability of water and dump stations of course. Some campgrounds in the parks do have hookups.

Any info you get here will probably be true for last year. Best to check websites and/or call.

Gene
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Unlike the days of the past, we are being asked to leave the firewood behind and “buy it where you burn it”. This may seem far fetched, but if you like the beauty of the place you visit, you may want to reconsider. Here is a link of Idaho’s campaign to educate the public on the issue: http://www.agri.idaho.gov/Categories...e_Firewood.php
Old 02-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Please leave your firewood at home. I can guarantee you it will not matter what it says on the firewood, it probably will be confiscated.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'm putting this on a separate post in order to address it as nicely as I can. I'm just trying to find the regulations for bringing certified firewood into Canada and that's a minor part of what I'm researching. If it's not accepted I won't bring it.

Please don't hijack the thread to educate me on firewood dangers. I would really appreciated this thread not turning into that discussion. I live in Colorado and I'm well aware of the dangers. Generally speaking firewood purchased at a retail outlet in bundles is treated and USDA certified. This means the wood has been kiln treated to USDA regulations to destroy any disease or infestation and render the product safe and is legal to transport across state lines even to areas with firewood restrictions. In all my years of camping primarily in national parks this has always been accepted. I just double checked the wood I have and it is labeled as such. Of course I think I pointed this out in my earlier post.
Charlie
Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #40
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Why do it?

Don't do it.

7-11s certify firewood? Please.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Gene:

Thanks for the info.
I'm still open as to where to camp in Canada. From the map Lake Louise looks to be somewhat central to both Parks. I could always stay at one northern and one southern campground but I hate to move once I'm docked. We only cook on the open fire and use the Airstream stove as little as possible so having a campfire is a must even if it means an extra fee. I'm not certain yet if my oldest son will be coming with us so that will affect weather I'm better off with the annual family pass or to pay daily for me, my wife, and youngest son. I doubt if we return this year so I'll most likely go with the least expensive option for the stay.
If anyone else has any other suggestions for a great centrally located campground it would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie
Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Why do it?

Don't do it.

7-11s certify firewood? Please.

Pat
No, the company treating the wood has it certified by a USDA inspector. That's the only way you get a USDA certification.
Could we please end this discussion?

Charlie