Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
We had a wonderful time camping for 2 weeks in Canada last summer. The provincial parks are fantastic. Be warned, though. Camping is a lot more popular in Canada than in the US and reservations may be helpful.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond View Post
I liked the Canadian Rockies, gas was $1 and the speed limit was 100.
You know that you were only getting a litre for that dollar, right?!

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You know that you were only getting a litre for that dollar, right?!
OK, Cameron, I want to know where you are buying your gas so cheaply?

In Langley we're in the $1.20 a liter range.

So for those of you faint of heart, DO NOT DO THE MATH or you will realize that our fuel, currently, is over $4.50 a gal.

But of course, as noted, you can drive a 100 (kilometers and hour )

Come on up and visit Canada.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Barry, I'm assuming they were traveling on the Alberta side of the Rockies, where gas is still cheap and free of all of our taxes and levies.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post

But of course, as noted, you can drive a 100
110 on expressways in Alberta. When we drove north to Alaska, we saw ourselves coming back south we were going so fast. Faster you go, the less gas per minute, right?

Is it true there are 100 seconds in a minute and 100 minutes in an hour according to the metric system?

Gene
Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I do not want to go off topic, but since there have been several Canadian postings, I thought I would take the opportunity to ask about camping on Vancouver Island; we are very interested in the Pacific Rim campground south of Tofino (have stayed at the Wick) and the north part of the island. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Make reservations!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There are, I think, fewer signs long before you get to the place you have to turn than we are used to in the US. Signing is never easy for the tourist who has never seen them before.
Agreed. The US generally has better signage than Canada, and depending on the state, far superior highway rest areas. Alberta does do a good job maintaining its provincial highways, however.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Camping, Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I do not want to go off topic, but since there have been several Canadian postings, I thought I would take the opportunity to ask about camping on Vancouver Island; we are very interested in the Pacific Rim campground south of Tofino (have stayed at the Wick) and the north part of the island. Any comments would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post

Thanks,

Try this site for starters
BC Parks - Provincial Park Campgrounds - Vancouver Island & Gulf Islands, BC

Dave.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
I love Canada and all things Canadian -- even teared up at the changing of the guard. OTOH, I've gotten very rude treatment at border crossings. And while parked in very secure parking garages, my vehicles have been broken into. According to Canadian detectives I've talked to, U.S. vehicles are targeted by Canadian thieves, probably for the same reasons the agents at the borders can be so aggressive and rude. So be vigilant.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Thanks to everyone for replying. I just finished a brutal stretch at work with only 2 days off in the past 3 weeks and some very long days, so I'm just getting back to looking into this trip. It works out well for us though, no time off in the winter and lots of flexibility for time off during the summer to camp (except for 4th. of July week).
We're still up in the air on this trip. I plan to get on the Passports next week just in case, and if we end up going to Glacier again instead we can still cross over to Waterton. We're still leaning toward the Jasper, Banff plan though. What expenses might in incur over a trip to a US park? I've heard about the additional $9 per night for a campfire, is that in the park only? We only cook by campfire and have one every night so a campground that doesn't allow a campfire is out of the question. I have plenty of bundled firewood that I buy in mass quantity every spring at Home Depo when they price it 50% off. This would be certified insect free on the label. Would I be allowed to bring this over the boarder? I think we can plan our food needs for the week well enough to avoid purchasing food in Canada with a freezer full of meat and various other dried items. I do like to bring a 10 lb. bag of baking potatoes as we often like to have these with our meal. Other then that it's dried and canned goods. Does anyone know what the costs are to visit each park? I assume our US park pass wouldn't get us in. Do they offer a weekly pass, or do you have to pay daily and is it by the carload or person? Any other unexpected expenses?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Charlie, check on what you can bring into Canada—potatoes may be a problem. Canada has a website.

And so does Parks Canada. For some reason they don't accept US parks passes. A one day pass is good until 4 pm the next day. I thought Banff and Jasper (treated as one park for passes I believe) were similar to major US parks as far as prices go for one day, but US parks charge for several days—usually at least 5, so multiple days in a Canadian park are a lot more expensive. They may have one week or longer passes, but check the website. I don't recall anything about a charge for a campfire—are you sure that wasn't the price for a bundle of wood?

If you have a time machine, we've gone to parks in years past and there were no charges—either we were there off season, or they have started charging in more recent years.

We did run into one ill trained Canadian border agent—a young woman who acted as if she had been on the job for a matter of weeks. She sure didn't want to make any mistakes and asked endless questions, often repeating herself. She wasn't unfriendly, just green. This is nothing like the frequently rude US border people.

Next time we will find the turn in Calgary—there were two exits to the west and they came in reverse order from what we expected, and the language was confusing, so we missed it. In 2002 we got lost in Calgary twice in construction projects. In 2006 we didn't get lost at all. We hope to improve our average. Going west to Banff, we couldn't find a gas station starting west of Calgary for quite a while (signage again, or lack of it), and finally found a station that was very small and I had to back onto a busy street to leave. Lots of fun.

And VancouverrIs.—we went there about 5 years ago and enjoyed it. That was pre-trailer life. Be aware that ferries to the island are very expensive for trailers. I believe they all are about the same price from the Canadian or US mainland and are around $200 each way. I doubt we will go to Vancouver Is. again because of that.

Alberta had no rest areas so far as I remember although there are some narrow pull outs in places. There are far more places to stop in Yukon than Alberta and some of BC.

Gene
Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I very much like traveling in Canada and the parks there. Around Jasper is spectacular. But it is a long ways from anything so you pretty much got to stay in the park. There is a fairly substantial fee for entering the park. Maybe 10 or 15 a day or you can buy a longer time permit. I think I have done it each way. Off the top of my head, Wapiti is about 27 bucks a night and 9.00 more for a fire permit (the wood is free). I am not sure but I think that rate is without electric hookups. I know we did not have hookups. You have to reserve those sites ahead, I think. We did just show up and found campsites open. And the weather was very windy and cold and sometimes wet. Not near good enough for me to sit out by a campfire. But that probably varies. The Canadian parks have good websites to check fees, reservations, etc. Nothing about the Jasper -Banf area is low budget. It is well worth it though.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I believe it was $21 C per day. The US and Canadian dollars are roughly equal now. On the other hand, I don't recall the CG at Lake Louise being that much. We had seen the area before (and paid no fees) at the end of June, 2002, so we just stayed one day last May.

Gene