Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Advice for Wisconsin/Michigan

My wife and I are planning a trip around Lake Michigan via Wisconsin, the Michigan upper peninsula and Michigan proper. We tentatively plan to camp at 3-4 spots on our route (for about a week each) and explore out from each spot. Any advice on great places to camp and/or things to do on that route. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Check out Peninsula State Park in Door County WI. For a week long stay, it offers lots of recreational activities in the park, as well as a great location for touring WI from Green Bay to Manitowoc. Door County itself is a tourist mecca, with shops, restaurants, and beautiful scenery.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillsburg , Pennsylvania
The Apostle Islands are definitely a worthy stop and there is a great municipal park in the town of Washburn, WI. Washburn, Wisconsin - On The Shore Of Lake Superior

The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on the Michigan UP offers some amazing views. Great camping in the municipal park at Munising, MI. Back on the mainland, the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes National Lakeshore near Traverse City offers more spectacular views. There is actually an Airstream Park near Traverse City.

It's a great trip!
John in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanford View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip around Lake Michigan via Wisconsin, the Michigan upper peninsula and Michigan proper. We tentatively plan to camp at 3-4 spots on our route (for about a week each) and explore out from each spot. Any advice on great places to camp and/or things to do on that route. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jwlbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey wlanford
We enjoy Pictured Rocks NLS and the Twelvemile Beach campground is spectacular.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Highly, highly recommend the Apostle Islands. Bayfield, WI very nice town, and many nice state parks in UP MI. Have fun!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlbal View Post
The Apostle Islands are definitely a worthy stop and there is a great municipal park in the town of Washburn, WI. Washburn, Wisconsin - On The Shore Of Lake Superior

The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on the Michigan UP offers some amazing views. Great camping in the municipal park at Munising, MI. Back on the mainland, the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes National Lakeshore near Traverse City offers more spectacular views. There is actually an Airstream Park near Traverse City.

It's a great trip!
John in PA
Was going to mention the Sleeping Bear Dunes myself but you beat me to it. Shame you weren't going this weekend because tomorrow is the last day of the National Cherry Festival. Not far from the Sleeping Bear Dunes is Leland which is where my family has gone every summer for years and years. It's a small little lake town that's pretty much the definition of "quiant".
spinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
Thanks for all the informative responses. We will be traveling beginning around the middle of August. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Depending upon where and how you like to camp, there are lots of "mostly unimproved" campgrounds in Michigan's extensive system of state forests. If you go here:

DNR - List of all Michigan State Forest Campgrounds

you will have a list of all of them by county, with a lot of other locator resources. Somewhere on the DNR site, there is an interactive map, which I think I remember has GPS coordinates for each site. There are a few of these campgrounds here and there that I could barely get to using high clearance four wheel drive pickup truck to get to and simply could not get my 23 footer into due to horrible road conditions, but most are easily accessible with a trailer your size. Many are just off of well paved roads (though some are some distance down dirt roads / tracks in various conditions). They tend to have a flat spot and perhaps a picnic table and fire pit, with a pit toilet and sometimes a hand water pump. No hookups. Usually you will find at least some other campers, and there are no reservations, but they are often on trout streams, etc.

There are also lots of "no hookup" campsites in National Forests in Michigan. If you stop in at the field office for a particular National Forest, the rangers can give you maps, directions, advice, etc.

One tip: handy in both Michigan and Wisconsin are DeLorme's state map and "Gazeteer" books ... they have pretty detailed county by county maps and list pretty much all established campsites on public land in both states and show pretty much all of the roads you can get an Airstream down (and many that you can't).

One more thing: when you encounter a sign on a Michigan forest dirt road that says something like "Road not maintained" - then proceed with great caution if you're then towing. I've seen a few that just ended in a swamp or impassable soft sand. Take a long look at the maps and know your towing limits and you will have some fun adventures.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Marquette,MI

FWIW check out the WI airstream club. I believe they have a rally in mid August at Tourist Park. Just sayin, and Marqueete is really beautiful Plus it's on the way to Pictured Rocks on M28.......
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We love driving the Lake Superior shore from west to east, using the many, inexpensive city/county campgrounds. Simple, few amenities but right on the lake. Water and electricity, pit toilets, etc. Perfect for us.

The Shipwreck Museum in Whitefish Bay is very interesting, and worth a stop.

Fort Wilkins SP in Copper Harbor, MI, at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula is beautiful, and the St..Croix National Scenic River in Wisconsin looks worth a peek. We have not been there, yet, but intend to check it out this trip.

We'll be up there in August, as well, will give a wave!

Travel safe,

Maggie
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Don't forget about Milwaukee. You can stay at the State Fair campgrounds right in the city and on a bus line which can take you to all of the sites, like the world famous Calatrava designed art museum, Harley Museum, Milwaukee Zoo, The loosing Brewers but the Nation's best stadium, Miller Park. Then there is the Lake Front and plenty of beer everywhere you go.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of our favorite places is Wagon Trail Campground up in Door County Wi, just outside of Sister Bay. Door County Camping - Wagon Trail Campground
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7170062.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	191012   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7170065.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	191013  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I also vote for the Keweenaw Peninsula and Copper Harbor. Stop at the Poor Rock
Abbey Jam Pot store on your way up or back. Well worth the stop for unusual and yummy jams and other goodies. It's right on 26 on your way up the Peninsula.
There are several stopping places to swim in Lake Michigan along Hwy 2 in the UP along where Hwy 2 is next to the beach. Also several National Forest campgrounds are there: they tend to be busy in the summer but right on the beach.
Tahquamenon Falls up Hwy 123 west of Sault Ste. Marie on Whitefish Bay is also a great place to visit and stay at, and the falls are very pretty and scenic.
Up 94 from Manistique is Palms Book State Park. There is no camping there, but there IS a VERY deep spring fed pond that is extremely clear, has some HUGE fish in it and you can cross it on a big raft and see all the way down. It is a very cool thing to do.
Have fun!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Kay that is one of our favorite spots and we are 'dyed in the wool' Michigan vacationers. Thumbs up for anywhere in the Keweenaw. Mines , lots of waterfalls great hiking trails, light houses, etc. Also Bay de Noc area is a must see, and Fayette St. Park is another great camp ground ( on the Garden Peninsula), another is Seney Wildlife Refuge. And yes , please pick up a DeLorme Mich. Atlas and Gazetteer, it is fantastic for locating all those out of the way touristy sites.

"If you seek a pleasant peninsula look about you" - Michigan state motto

Barry & Karen
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
Doug & Maggie , you are absolutely correct about the Ship Wreck Museum at Whitefish Point. "Broom" and I spent the biggest part of a day going through it and the grounds there. This South Texas Lad had NO idea there are that many ships lying on the bottom of Lakes Superior & Michigan. Thanks for letting us know about.
WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Youngstown , Ohio
Loved Sleeping Bear Dunes, the many lighthouses, wine country, Coast Guard Museum and Tall Ships in Traverse City area. Stayed at the State Park.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We loved Sleeping Bear Dunes, too,but the sinkhole that swallowed up the little boy a couple of weeks ago was frightening. We had that on our radar for a trip with the grandchildren.

Re the St. Croix national scenic river, it is quite lovely but set up for tents, only. Sites are accessible from the river, with signs as to what is available, etc.

Spent last night tucked into a shady area at a landing on the river.

Red, sent you a pm.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
If I remember right it was a posted area that the kids shouldn't have been in. Sleeping Bear is a great place to camp, and look for stones.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
If I remember right it was a posted area that the kids shouldn't have been in. Sleeping Bear is a great place to camp, and look for stones.
Aahhh.....that comforts me some.

Maggie
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
One of my favorite places is Higgens Lake in Roscommon, Mi. National Geographic considers it the 7th most beautiful lake in the world. Visibility is 25 ft. Go out 100 yds and the water is up to your knees. Go another 100 yds and the water is up to your chest. Then it gets deep- 150 ft. Great for swimming.
Beautiful sunsets and two large state parks.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote