Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
The front receiver hitch makes life so much easier when parking / negotiating ...
I'm trying to visualize how that works. Is it because the steering wheels are close to the hitch? Or because you are looking forward instead of backward into mirrors?

Does a front receiver have to be rated as high as a rear one? What is it attached to? Seems like the front of trucks is all plastic now.

Do they turn quickly or slowly with a front receiver? Can you do 90˚ turns easily (without crushing something on the truck or trailer)?

Do you always unhitch when you have to back into a space and turn the truck around and use the front receiver, or do you just use it for really hard back-ins?

This interests me because while I have lots of acres now, we want to move and may not be able to find a house with easy parking. This seems a lot better and cheaper than buying a dolly.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Before committing to use someone elses driveway, check to see if it or any of the neighbors driveways have cracks or settlement, even tho you will only be driving a few feet occasionally, it will be the biggest thing they have seen in the driveway since their moving truck.
If you don't back into your driveway you won't be able to leave without other driveway being clear.
If you don't back it as far as the side of the house you will be obstructing view of neighbor, not as bad as sunshading of skyscrapers but does cause hard feeling getting the view blocked and having to look at reflective shiny tt that they don't own.
Right now no mailboxes or flowerbeds, no hoa so no written rules, sometimes it is better to have hoa with rules that specificly state your rights.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I'm trying to visualize how that works. Is it because the steering wheels are close to the hitch? Or because you are looking forward instead of backward into mirrors? Yes to both of those good questions

Does a front receiver have to be rated as high as a rear one? What is it attached to? Seems like the front of trucks is all plastic now. We use a very short wheel base vehicle - a jeep wrangler and we have had both the front receiver hitch (Curt brand - bolted to the frame and, because of the higher tongue weight, also to the front ARB bumper) and the suspension upgraded. I would not want to "push" the AS any long distance; so, we only use the front hitch on the jeep for negotiating the AS from the street and into our driveway. We live on a hill and the rear set up on our crew cab truck with a topper takes me several attempts (much blood sweating) due to limited access (and see-sawing) to park the AS in our driveway. It would be unsafe to leave it on the street for extended periods. Although front receiver kits are available for the truck right now, we will wait until we get a HD bumper for the truck ... then will have the front receiver hitch added .

Do they turn quickly or slowly with a front receiver? Can you do 90˚ turns easily (without crushing something on the truck or trailer)? It allows for easier / quicker turning because the ball is nearer to the turning wheels ... but most importantly, it allows for planning / tracking the turn as you can see exactly just where the trailer and its wheels are moving. I stay away from full 90 degree turns to avoid kinking the stinger or the AS frame.

Do you always unhitch when you have to back into a space and turn the truck around and use the front receiver, or do you just use it for really hard back-ins? So far just for hard back-ins utilizing the wrangler; if I had the front receiver installed on the truck, I'd use it every time just for piece of mind. I had the front receiver on the last truck / RV and life was much easier.

This interests me because while I have lots of acres now, we want to move and may not be able to find a house with easy parking. This seems a lot better and cheaper than buying a dolly. Super easy and likely less $$. Any welding shop can install or fabricate / beef up front receiver mounts for TV ... realizing that it will be used for just short distances with little suspension involvement, the rating does not necessarily have to be as high as for long distance towing. IIRC the last on was just under $300 installed.

Gene
See above answers in blue
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote