Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Adventures in our 1975 Argosy 26'

Sorry in advance for the long post....

We are about 3 weeks into a 6 week tour of the west in our recently renovated 1975 Argosy 26'. Frankly, we didn't get everything finished on the Argosy before we left (we did a 'full monty - shell on' renovation) we did get new Axles, new Tires, cleaned up and painted the frame with rust converter, put in new floors and most the electric - basically the works....but, I didn't get the 12 volt wired, and we didn't get the outside painted. In the end it didn't matter, 'Jean' was road ready and we took her westward. 'Jean' sleeps 5, even though she's only has 24 feet of cabin space, as we redesigned the floorplan to fit our specific needs:

We have a full size bed in the back, the bench seating sleeps two, and there is a pull down cot under the bar/work area.

We did have to give up a bathroom, but given our 24 feet of cabin space we couldn't see a way around it (especially with keeping an open floor plan). Since we are staying at RV parks, so far hasn't been an issue.

Things have gone well so far !

While every place we've gone has had something to offer, Yosemite is in a class of its own. Breathtaking beauty, waterfalls, awesome trails, and abundant wildlife. Speaking of wildlife....

I'm working remote while we take the trip (mixing in a bunch of vacation days too). On one of my 'work days' I had a pretty crazy experience with a curious bear at Yosemite and I thought I'd share.

I got to Yosemite valley early on Wednesday and found a great location to work with an awesome view of the Merced river, snuggled in a bunch of 100 year old Ponderosa pines and 4 bars of LTE. What a great remote office for the day! That was until the bear showed up. I wasn't paying attention as I was staring at a computer screen and had phone earbuds in my ear. Things got pretty exciting pretty fast. I didn't notice him until he was about 20 feet away. Here's a photo of the bear walking away from the PicNic table I was working at:

We've got a family blog about our adventures, and I wrote a full post about the 'Bear' incident here:

http://www.5goforth.com/#!Unforseen-...f2c8c6f2ca0326

The experience with the Bear, and many other adventures we've had are the kind you only have when you are out exploring. Get out there and LiveRiveted friends !

Many thanks to the folks who have contributed to this site, which provided much of the information I used in our Argosy renovation and made our families adventures possible !
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Jean looks lovely. What's that soft white quilted looking treatment on the walls and ceiling.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What a beautiful rig you've got there!

Very unique, and cozy.

Have a great trip.

Maggie
Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Upholstered Ceiling

Thanks for the compliments! The interior was my wife's Heather doing. She has some experience with Upholstery, so she upholstered the ceilings and part of the side walls with raw canvas. We used insulation as the batting. So far it's holding up well and seems to insulate well enough.

We flex sealed all the rivets on the inside before we put the insulation in, and haven’t had any issues with leaking.
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote