Old 08-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Adirondack ideas?

We are near Syracuse New York right now. We have about 13 days to get to Acadia national Park in Maine. We would like to explore the Adirondack Park on the way. We would appreciate any suggestions on places to camp. We are not fussy: scenic beauty is the highest on our priority list. Thanks for your ideas.

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at http://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmmm we love the Adirondacks.

This is what we did several years ago, in the Adirondacks and then the Catskills:

Find the off roads and roam, with plenty of water and propane. There are lots of pullouts for fisherman where you can park for a night.

When you need to dump, plug in, replenish, etc, there are lots of campgrounds around there, including some PA for Sun-Thurs stays, as I recall.

The campground in Adirondack Park is lovely, but has no facilities and rather pricey, IMO.

Have fun.....see you two next month.

Maggie

Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Thanks Maggie,

Are those "off roads" more or less paved? Or old sand logging trails as in Michigan?

Pull outs for trailer +'TV or Interstate size?

Montgomery, Alabama

Old 08-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Keene Valley driving route 73 traveling North or returning South bound is wonderfully scenic drive.

Anywhere in high peaks region, just google; highly recommend Blue Mt. Museum (great for cold or rainy day) this museum is a wonderful informative introduction to Adirondack history & Wild Center (more contemporary center) has many interactive exhibits & wonderful exhibit with live river otters.

So much to explore, ADK hiking guides (maps) available for great hikes in high peaks region for variety day hikes to excellent vistas with some outlooks with views of ADK range & Green mts.

Some folks only visit Lake Placid or Lake George....we avoid both areas due to volume of tourists & just not to our liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Fulton Chain

If you take Rt. 12 North out of Utica and then Rt 28 at Alder Creek you will enter the Adirondack Park proper. There are a few of our favorite spots around Old Forge that are great. Nick's Lake State Park is right out of Old Forge. The lake is "No Motors", so the paddling is very quiet. First Lake starts at Old Forge, followed by Second, Third and Fourth Lakes. Inlet is at the end of Fourth Lake. No camping there, but next stop is Limekiln Lake, just past Inlet on Rt 28. Many nice spots on the lake there. Next stop is Eighth Lake State Park. There are sites on Seventh and Eighth Lake. Hard to find waterfront sites, but all are nicely wooded. All these sites are Dry Camping, but each park has a pump out station. They allow generators during specific hours. Mind your site, as the bears know who to look for when food is left out. We have tent camped at all of these over the years and are looking to our first year of pulling an AS up there and rest easy when the door is closed and we're tucked in a real bed for the night! Please ask specific questions if you haven't already passed this point in your trip.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobikes View Post
Thanks Maggie,

Are those "off roads" more or less paved? Or old sand logging trails as in Michigan?

Pull outs for trailer +'TV or Interstate size?
They are paved, and the pullouts big enough for trailer & TV. Only requirement is for parallel parking. Right along the rivers. Lovely.

We never had any problem staying a night at these, and no one ever seemed surprised to see us there.

Have fun,

Maggie
Old 08-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are deep into the maps tonight. Wish we had much more time. Having that date in Acadia for the thirteenth is cramping our plans.

Montgomery, Alabama

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Acadia also has years of hiking and kayaking memories. The carriage trails are great for your bikes. First thing is to get a trail guide named "A Walk in the Park" Acadia's Hiking Guide". That lists the carriage trails for bikes. Make sure you go to Jordan Pond House for Tea And Popovers. A big tradition. Happy travels!

Dan & Debbie Breed

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Adirondack ideas?

I really wishing I was a stowaway on your Airstream as you are heading to so of my all time favorite vacation spots. Adirondacks & Maine should be a spectacular adventure.
Discussed some highlights for less commercialized Adirondack experiences.
Now onto Maine....sure you read tons of information about Acadia. Ongunwuit is I quaint coastal town where we had awesome Maine lobster dining experiences: up scale with valet pkg. to roadside trucks serving authentic lobster rolls cannot be missed and our favorite is Maine chosen by the locals as well-respected, seasonal places on the water that offer the traditional, steamed lobster dinner. If you donít see your favorite, please tell them about it in the comments.

CHAUNCEY CREEK LOBSTER PIER
16 Chauncey Creek Rd., Kittery Point
Right on pretty Chauncey Creek (which admittedly is not quite as pretty at low tide), this no frills shack offers a basic menu and both indoor and outdoor seating at brightly painted picnic tables.
BYOB. ...and bring other beverages, sides, desserts, picnic tables on decks overlooking Chauncey Creek fresh water inlet merges with the salty "brackish" water. You chose the lobster you want & then set up your table for arrival of your freshly steamed lobsters. Just love the local feel of this place & the best lobster IMHO.

(Mother's Day thru Labor Day) Open every day 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Post-Labor Day thru Columbus Day- Open Tues thru Sun 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Closed Mondays)
CLOSED the Tuesday after Labor Day every year
16 Chauncey Creek Road
Kittery Point, ME 03905
(207) 439-1030

(Mother's Day thru Labor Day) Open every day 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Post-Labor Day thru Columbus Day- Open Tues thru Sun 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (Closed Mondays)
CLOSED the Tuesday after Labor Day every year

Ogunquit is really quaint New England town & very walkable. We never camped here but reasonably priced accommodations on edge of town with pool & shuttle to nearby beach.,

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Thanks Fcloud9. Chauncey's is duly noted in MY SAVED PLACES I really wish I had been using this program to record all the great travel tips we have received ( from Airforums folks and others ) over the years.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. Http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

Old 08-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey 2 Bikes. Sorry I had to leave the rally in PA so early in the morning and did not get a chance to say goodbye. Really enjoyed your company and hope to cross paths again. I just got home the other day from my travel west and north. Hope your visit to the Adirondacks went well. I know the area well. Have family up there and went to college north of Saranac Lake. I do enjoy visiting there. We spent some days in the Thousand Islands just last week before heading homeward. Do leave a few lobsters for me while in Maine.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote