Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Accident involving an Airstream (woman injured)

According to this article, an accident in Kansas involving an Airstream happened because of trailer sway. They "...passed a semi truck and trailer, and after passing, the Airstream trailer began to swing."

Sounds like the woman was injured and taken to the hospital.

Hope everyone is okay.

Missouri woman taken to hospital after crash near Halstead
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
Old 05-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
More Info about the accident:

http://www.hayspost.com/2016/05/06/2...-in-kan-ditch/
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
Old 05-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Interesting, uncontrollable (swing) sway.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #4
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We've taken highway 50 back to the St Louis area, on trips to Colorado, a few times. I don't remember this particular stretch, but I don't remember many turns, or hills going across Kansas. I do remember a lot of wind. We've been lucky. Mostly had a tail wind coming east. We just pull a 23 though, not much trouble.
Hope they are ok.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
Old 05-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Doesn't say anything about his sway control or hitch. Not enough info to tell what happened. Hope they are ok.

Mike
Old 05-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
My first response is, "I hope they are OK."

My first question is, "I wonder how fast they were going?"

Please be careful, friends!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)
Old 05-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
They are from the St Louis area. According to the article they were towing with a pickup. I wonder what kind of sway control he used and the circumstances.

I've been in a lot of situations where from a traffic standpoint could have passed a slower truck, but I stayed behind due to cross winds, avoiding downhill, and sheltered turrain that can enhance the potential of sway.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
Old 05-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Accident involving an Airstream (woman injured)

I wish the best for those involved.

Accidents are called that for a reason. If a post mortem could be done, something (if not several somethings) could be identified that could have been done differently.

Just last Sunday, we returned from a 4-day trip to Beaver Point, south of Yellville, AR. HWY 412 out of Springdale, through the hills west and east of Harrison, all the way to the park..... Lots of good hills to traverse. We maintained a good, safe speed all the way there, not getting in a rush. Took almost 3 hrs. Only got flipped off once, and that was real close to the park.

We usually don't tow over 60 mph, but I'll get a run of up to 70 coming up to a steep hill. On the downhill side, if I can crest at 45-50, that's a good thing. On the way down, I will ease on down, using the transmission, trailer brakes, or both the truck and trailer brakes to maintain a safe speed..... NEVER laying on the brakes of either!
The key is to NOT get in a rush, or you might live to regret it.

My next fairly expensive add-on for our truck is an exhaust brake by US Gear. With that installed, we can just set it and let it maintain the downhill speed without touching the brakes.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)
Old 05-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Appreciate all the advice on how to prevent or at least lessen the potential for trailer sway, e.g slowing down, proper use of combined truck/trailer brakes etc.

Did anyone besides me find it curious that an Airstream was mentioned by name in the news article? Can't see the news seizing on the brand of trailer if it was an "Artic Fox", a "Jayco" etc. In my meager little mind the mere mention of the trailer being an Airstream speaks volumes; this doesn't normally happen with aerodynamically designed AS's- it can (obviously), but I would like to delude myself into thinking it is much rarer than with the standard broad-sided white box.

Just a thought.

Again thanks for the safe trailering suggestions, reminders are always good, the comment from Doug on the proper use of the exhaust brake opened my eyes as we are new to use of the tool on our new truck.

"don't let life get in the way of living"
Old 05-08-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Hi. I just have to comment, here. In 2011, I decided to tow my recently road worthy, but, barely aluminum tent, of a 19', 1962 Globetrotter to the Vintage Restoration rally in Albuquerque, NM. I was driving a GMC Yukon from New River, AZ, and it was the first trip with just My dog & myself and no hubby. As I was hooking up at home, I decided that I won't need the equalizers or sway bar because this trailer was 3 feet shorter than my Landyacht and, heck the Yukon was a long TV. I was tooling along, driving fairly fast, because, heck, Globetrotter was so light and the Yukon was so strong... and I was such an idiot. On I-40, east of Winslow, AZ, I hit a patch of pavement that was wavy like the Smoky Mountains in miniature. I was going 75, or so in the left lane. My beloved trailer started to sway and fishtail like a trout. My saving grace was the very alert and responsive semi-trailer driver I was passing at the time. He / or she, moved his/her rig over to the right shoulder as far as it could go, giving me the room to pull out of the sway and straighten out. I learned a lot from this terrifying experience. The 1st. being a reduction in speed as well as, cockiness.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Closed until...

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread