Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
VA Coast Camping

We live in Virginia and it is said to say but I don't know of any campgrounds on the Virginia coast (ocean) that I can recommend. When we go camping to the Ocean we go to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. This is three barrier islands off the coast that are 1-4 miles wide and 90 miles long. There are 4 campgrounds that I recommend.

If you want to be right on the ocean, the best is Ocean Waves in Waves, NC- www.oceanwavescampground.com. This is a small private campground with complete hookups and only about $40 per night. You must make reservations.

The most economical campground with hookups and our favorite is Sands of Time CG in Avon, NC- www.sandsoftimecampground.com. It is quiet with some large sites. The standard rate is $40/day but if you join Passport America Club for $40, the rate is only $20/day. The island is only about one mile wide at this location and the campground is right in the middle- about .5 miles from the ocean and about .5 miles from the sound. You can walk or drive to the ocean and park right next to the sand dunes by the fishing pier. The picture below is of our TW at the campground.

The most economical campground with out any hookups are in the National Seashore. I recommend Frisco close to the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse or Ocracoke on the island of Ocracoke. Both of these are right on the ocean sort of but you still have to walk at least 1/4 mile to cross the sand dunes to get to the ocean. No electricity can be tough in this location in July or August if you are there in a hot spell. No reservations taken at Frisco, but you can reserve sites at Ocracoke. The fee is only $20/day with half off if you have the National Parks Senior Pass.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sands of Time Campground picture added
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1809.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	119571  
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #103
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
First Landing State Park at Cape Henry, VA (VA Beach-side) is a great beach cg. Nothing fancy, but amazingly private in the middle of Norfolk-VA Beach. You can bike from the cg to the Va Beach boardwalk, kayak on broad bay, or just watch the ships go by.

Camping is in the dunes, shaded by ancient live oaks.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #104
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If you cross to the Eastern Shore of VA (as everyone should, at least once), you can camp at Kiptopeake State Park, near Cape Charles, VA. Great boating and fishing from the pier or in the Chesapeake Bay. The harbor is guarded by a fleet of concrete ships. Can't find those just anywhere, you know...

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
With each new adventure we find more great spots to stay. We just returned from our latest adventure to Death Valley. We have 2 new favorite spots to stay with the trailer.
1st we started from the south on CA-127 and took a side shot to Tecopa Hot Springs CG just off the Old Spanish Trail HWY. There was some construction crews working on a pond area in the back of the CG wich were noisy during the day but the nights were so quiet it was unbelievable. There was power, but you can not drink the water it has too many minerals. The CG was covered with a white saltlike/boron mineral powder that stuck to tires, shoes, paws, etc. I took it slow with the safari. The good part was the fee was 18.00 and the HOT spring baths were included. Clothing is not optional. There is a mens only side and a womens only side. They also have a nice private room for 10.00. My wife and I found the facilities to be clean and well kept. We felt very comfortable. If you are into rocks. There are some cool places to check out near by and China Ranch Date farm is worth a visit. We took the 22' safari down to the ranch and had plenty of room to turn around. However, I would not recommend taking any trailer down that narrow and steep in a couple of spots, dirt road. Once you start down you are committed, like I should be. However life is an adventure, right. Nice people run ranch and have date tasting and a gift shop. You can get good water free, next to the local school in Tecopa. The property was donated with a stipulation the well remains a free. Look for the school and on the right side there is a dirt road with a turn around.
2nd we headed north through Shoshone and into Death Valley. We stopped at Furnace Creek for the best water in the Death Valley. They have a new Government funded reverse osmosis water system for the whole town. Gas prices are 4.54 per gal. or something worse by now. North again towards Scotty's Castle. About 5 or 6 miles before you get to Scotty's Castle is the left had turn to Mesquite Spring CG. 6 or 7 other campers in this remote CG. No power or hookups. Generators 7am to 7pm. Wow what a quiet relaxing spot. The camp hosts Jim and Pattie had us over for wine and stories. Very clean this desert is. All the dirt must have blown away. Just rocks and more rocks. Very beautiful scenery. We got some cloud that made the most incredible sunsets and sunrises. The sky here is huge and it was as if the whole sky was on fire. Dare I mention the sky at night time. The Milky Way so bright and clear. Be sure to bring a portable reclining lounge chair to avoid stiff necks. You just can stop looking up. This was the nicest spot on our trip. Oh ya, I better warn you about the road to the race track. 27 miles of rocky washboard narrow road. Jim the CG host wad warned me that the road was seriously rocky and to carry at least 2 spair tires as just the week before 1 guy had 2 flats and cost him 1,500.00. There is no phone or any emergency service for miles and miles and miles. I figured that guy was just unlucky besides I had great tires. Dunlap A/T. Ha Ha. I got my first flat 23 mile in. No problem I have a good spare. Witch I changed quickly and decided not to tempt fait any further. So we turned around and headed back at 8-10 mph. We got back to the CG and guess what Flat #2 and no more spare's. The 15" trailer spare fit the bolt pattern but the disc brake caliper rubbed the wheel. Best camp host ever, to the rescue. Jim took me and 2 dead tires to Beatty, NV. about an hour away. Beatty also has Hot Springs and a CG. There was another AS safari and GMC Yukon with a large dog at the CG. Wish I had time to talk to them. The local tire reair shop was able to patch both tires for 20.00 each. We limped on back to real civilization (Bakersfield) with the trailer in tow and purchased 5 new 10 ply Michelin LTX M/S2 LT265/75R16EI and a new wheel. now I have 2 spare's . We had to get back home (Modesto) for business, however we will return to Mesquite Spring CG in a few days and stay a week or so. Maybe we will see you there. More wine and more stories...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	121815   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	121816  

Name:	043.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	121817   Click image for larger version

Name:	044.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	121818  

Name:	096.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	121819   Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	121820  

Name:	283.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	121821   Click image for larger version

Name:	208.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	121822  

Name:	150.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	574.5 KB
ID:	121823   Click image for larger version

Name:	112.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	121824  

batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #106
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Falling Rock , West Virginia
1. Beaver Creek Campground, Watoga State Park, near Marlinton, West Virginia.
2. Martinak State Park, Denton, Maryland.

3. any West Virginia state park
HillBilySkMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #107
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Mueller State Park, Colorado

My wife's favorite park is Mueller. It is located on the back side (west) of 14,110' Pike's Peak. Big RV's can get into the park and there are lots of pull-throughs, but the grade is steep and the park averages about 9,600'. But the sites are two-point hook-up, and it is very nice. Reservations well in advance are recommended.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101_0756.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	121852   Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0759.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	360.3 KB
ID:	121853  

Name:	101_0761.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	121854  
Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
favorites and...

Oh boy what a list!! I've only been to a few of these mentioned. Now I have a question, How about a campground, state parks are wonderful, with water and electric, deep in the woods, not built up/crowded. With hiking and biking trails nearby. someplace with a river or streams, and moutains. I am looking to be able to use the AS hooked up, not boondocking (yet) not overly crowded with noise and lots of screaming childeren (no offense, love kids, but looking for a quiet getaway) and that you can't see your neighbors trailer. Tall order. I'm sure, but have you been there? I'm in Central NJ and am looking for somthing within 10 hours drive. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We return year after year to the Municipal Campground in Grand Marais, MN, on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Granted, friends we've made there also are part of the draw, but most fun for us are all the northwoods activities in the area for day tripping, as well as easy access to Canada (be prepared with passports now). The harbor view is entertaining with all the boat activity and Coast Guard station, and lighthouse in your "front yard." Another site that stays in our minds but we've only enjoyed once is site #4 at Stanley Lake, Stanley, ID. Gorgeous, on the lake, with Sawtooth peaks rising right up before your eyes on the other side of the water. Aspen glow to die for... Cannot wait til we can be on the road again to explore some of the wonderful campsites described in this great thread! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mountainair , New Mexico
Two campgrounds that I love are Bullards Beach SP near Bandon, OR on the southern Oregon coast and the Chiricahua National Monument in southeastern AZ. Because of drainage dips in the road I'm not sure if I'll be able to get my 27' AS into the campground. The last time I was there I was in a tent trailer and we loved it.
If you go to Bullards, ask a local about directions to Blacklock Point. It's by an airport near Pacific HS. It's a long hike out to the point but you are rewarded with great views and an isolated long, long beach. There are also other great beaches around Bandon.
sk8r29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #111
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Do you know if the tag in Elkmont, TN an actual CG?
Anybody know the name?
Elkmont, is a campground in Great Smokey Mtn Nat Park
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
PA state parks

Anyone care to weigh in on PA state parks? Of particular interest, as we are planning a trip from Florida to PA, are Promised Land vs Ohiopyle.

Of course any recommendations a,ong the way appreciated too.

Thanks

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to check out the following "PA state parks" search results . . . this thread is 10 years old.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PA+s...=airforums.com

Have a great trip.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #114
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 369goose View Post
Anyone care to weigh in on PA state parks? Of particular interest, as we are planning a trip from Florida to PA, are Promised Land vs Ohiopyle.

Of course any recommendations a,ong the way appreciated too.

Thanks

Ohiopyle is an older campground on a hillside with rather small sites. Advantages: the area is beautiful and interesting (Fallingwater, the Youghiogheny River, the Great Allegheny Passage rail trail). I wouldn’t recommend it for a one night stay, but it’s great if you want to visit the area.

Promised Land is newer, better laid out for RVs, and flatter. I’ve used it for one night stays. I’m not familiar with things to do in the Poconos, so can’t comment there.

Enjoy your trip!
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Favorite Campground

Watauga Dam Campground (TVA) - Elizabethton, TN.

Camp right at the edge of the river and fish for some beautiful rainbow trout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160810_173023_1501638653398_resized.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	391538  
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:50 AM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
favorite Campground

Favorite Campground: You can take our space since we can't make the trip anymore. Here are some clues.

1. We used to drive down every year from New Jersey.
2. It took us 2 days to get down, pulling a 30 foot classic with a Tundra..
3.It's listed in the National Geographic Book as the "best State Campground"
4. It's in South Carolina, on the coast. I call it "the " Jurassic Park"

More hints coming if needed. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:25 AM   #117
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Edisto?

[click on orange arrow in quote to go directly to this post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
. . .
. . . Edisto has many treasures and I look forward to our escaping the pandemic and visiting again. Jim
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:00 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Albuquerque Balloon festival. Not private, not primitive, (well very, very few hookups but it's doable) and a lot of other nots, BUT when the thermals are right it is one of the best visual and auditory experiences for us. There are many other top tens but the ABF just edges them out in our opinion.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote