Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
AAA w/RV rider really works!

Set out for a week of travel to Shooting Star in Escalante, North Rim of the Grand Canyon and a couple of days at Gouldings in Monument Valley. Everything was great. Left Torrey UT on the way to Escalante and 10 miles south of town, the transmission shifted into 4-low by itself and the hot transmission fluid light and traction sabelizer lights came on. Called On-star and they were little or no help. At that point, the gears were gone. AAA sent a rollback with a trailer hitch with the correct size ball and towed me to Wonderland RV park in Torrey. Chevy dealer in Richfield picked up the truck last night and will call me later today.

When the dealer picked up the 2012 Silverado 4x4 crewcab 2500 HD, there were 964 miles showing on the odometer! Before leaving Durango, I weighed the AS at the gravel pit and it was 6240 pounds, well within the GCVW of 16,000.

My wife has lost confidence in this truck and I'll probably take a beating and buy a new Ford...or sell everything and go back to building and driving hot rods!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
That is bad luck. Sorry to hear those kinds of stories.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'm glad that the AAA service was good for you.

Regarding the Chevy, you know this is an outlier. Chevrolet will of course want to repair it, most likely by swapping in another transmission and sending this one off to figure out what went wrong since it blew up so young. Keep DETAILED records of this. If you continue to have issues with the truck, look up "Magnuson Moss warranty" and get your money back. It's a bit early to eat that depreciation, but it's never too early to be prepared.

Is it the Duramax/Allison combo? Or the 6-liter gasser?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Lemon?

Wow! Not exactly how you planned to spend your vacation! Can the dealer give you a truck fitted out to tow so you can continue your trip?

At only 900+ miles, sounds like you got a lemon. We have three Ford P/Us, one since '75 that we bought new, and they are all real troopers: no mechanical problems. Our main TV is the '08 diesel that is sheer luxury in its towing capacity (our 34' Ltd, 7000 lbs with ease), reliability (no problems, ever [knock on wood!]), and comfort.

Well, I sure hope you can work something out to continue your trip, but if not, just camp in that RV park and enjoy the relaxation: lemonade out of a lemon! You have my deepest condolences, but of course, as Airstreamers, we are all just a cup of motor oil/transmission fluid or some small crucial part from a similar fate. Try to enjoy yourselves anyway.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Sounds more like the electronic switch malfunctioned and forced the gear change.

Dropping a transfer case into 4-lo at Hwy speeds will surely lunch a trans and transfer case. Have the dealer check all three.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Well that sucks! That haul up through the Dixie Forest is long uphill grade. Hope they don't try to point the finger on the break-in period. Is it supposed to be 1000 miles before towing?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Well, that sure sux the big one. What you are describing must be a control module malfunction. Did you feel any driving difference when the shift into 4 wheel low occurred? Please keep us posted.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I fully understand your frustration, but don't give up so fast. Let GMC fix it, that's why you have a warranty. Definitely a big inconvenience for you. Keep us updated on what GMC does for you.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
UPDATE....service manager found a service bulletin about a connection between the CPU and the trans module. I insisted that they change the trans fluid and filter. While doing that, they discovered that there was a kink in the line to the cooler that apparently occurred at the factory! Should be ready to roll tomorrow.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote