Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Streamer
I am considering dropping AAA emergency road service and switching to Good Sam ERS. Does anyone have an opinion on which one is better??
another consideration is WHO provides your rv comp/collision insurance.

my rv insurance is with progressive and the 'road side assist/ towing coverage is excellent and covers the tow vehicle as well.

adding a good roadside/towing option is often much less expensive this way.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I have Good Sams rv plan and have used it both to tow my vehicles and to repair a flat on a previous M/ H I had they responded very fast in all cases and did a great job with follow up to see if I was happy with the service I recieved. In all instances the service was great. I am also a Life Time member of the Good Sams club.....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
we have good sam ers and the one time we needed help we were in a rest area, 60 miles from nearest provider, made one phone call and within two hours they had us on our way. good sam has our vote.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
My parents had always been AAA members so it was a natural thing for me to do when I started driving. The problem I saw with AAA was that every time I needed them, so did everyone else (cold winter mornings with a dead battery). So one morning, over twenty years ago, after waiting for two hours for them to arrive at my home, in a large city the driver had to ask me where my battery was and he was still unable to start my car. I discontinued my AAA membership when it expired and never renewed it after that. Recently we joined the Good Sam program - hope it works better than AAA.

Regarding oher insurance companies that I've seen mentioned on the Forums, I can only suggest that you talk with your local body repair shops. When a pick-up pulled out in front of me last fall, I took it in for repairs and the shop asked for my insurance company. I told it was State Farm. I happened to mention that the other driver had Progressive. The shop told me that if I had Progressive, they wouldn't touch my car. With State Farm, I didn't even need any other estimates - they would pay whatever their bill would be, less my deductible. How do we know there are some companies that repair shops don't like to work with - or won't work with. Check them out before you start paying them your hard earned cash. (I'm NOT in the insurance business.)
Prodigy Brake controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
Old 03-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Quote:
I took it in for repairs and the shop asked for my insurance company. I told it was State Farm. I happened to mention that the other driver had Progressive. The shop told me that if I had Progressive, they wouldn't touch my car. With State Farm, I didn't even need any other estimates - they would pay whatever their bill would be, less my deductible. How do we know there are some companies that repair shops don't like to work with - or won't work with."

I have been told Progressive is like having a HMO (medical ins.) they only pay what they think the repair should cost...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For road assistance coverage we compared Progressive (car and truck ins, Airstream too), Good Sam, AAA, Allstate. AAA has the worst coverage, Progressive wasn't so great. A friend highly recommended Allstate. It seemed Allstate and Good Sam were nearly identical, except Allstate had discount at KOA where we don't stop and Good Sam has discounts at a lot of places. All have introductory rates, so maybe we'll switch back and forth every year and save more. We chose Good Sam.

Gene
Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
For road assistance coverage we compared Progressive (car and truck ins, Airstream too), Good Sam, AAA, Allstate. AAA has the worst coverage, Progressive wasn't so great...
compared what?

the progressive road assist is PART of the policy IF the trailer is insured with them at no extra cost.

and INCLUDES road assistance for the tow vehicle even if it is insured by some other company.

last year when my truck died in idaho but the trailer was fully functional,

progressive paid to tow the truck and trailer (separately) to a ford dealership and the trailer to an rv park of my choice.

one call took care of it, no cost to me and my choice of tow companies, dealership locations and so on...

and the truck isn't even insured by progressive.

so that's GREAT road assist coverage imo.

in addition for anyone buying a NEW TRAILER, progressive has a FULL REPLACEMENT/NEW TRAILER option.

so that in the first 3? years a total loss is handled with a NEW identical replacement trailer, not the 'book value'...

in yrs 3-5? the replacement is your ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE, again not book value.

not all the vendors covering rvs offer these FULL REPLACEMENT options.

it's a good thing to have, and protects the buyer from getting upside down on payments vs book value.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
AAA vs Good Sam

I had always had AAA for my autos with good results. When I first bought my AS two years ago, I had a flat on my second trip out because of tires with dry rot, which was still part of my learning curve. I had already upgraded to AAA RV, but they were not as reponsive with the RV Service. I switched to Good Sam and have not had to use them for my AS but I have for my wife's car, and they were fantastic. I've talked to other RV folks who give Good Sams high marks as well.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #23
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Cool good sam ?

this post got me curius if i should join good sams club. So i went to there web site to do a little research. it looks like if you have an older trailer and TV your better off getting the basic service.
there extened warr will only cover trailer's under 12yr old and if your TV has less then 115k on the odometer. i will soon check out AAA and the progressive policy.
I just went and looked at the AAA web site and i was not empressed at all with there covrage of the RVplus
in my opinion they should drop the plus at the end
Old 03-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
This does not answer the question, Good Sam or AAA, but, if you have a car or truck that has OnStar available, we have had a great experience with it.

I posted about 5 months ago about calling OnStar from the side of I-75 near Sarasota. In less than one hour, an enormus tow truck arrived and towed both our Avalanche and 25' Airstream to a Chevy Dealer that was expecting us.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
2air, our Progressive policy coverage seems to be different than yours. We have collision and comp on the trailer, but where we live, complete road service doesn't come as part of those policies. Being on the road, I don't have the info with us, but it seems it cost around $30+, but was very limited in coverage. Policies in different states are different depending on state law and the insurance commission rules. Colorado's insurance commission is very weak and has usually been strongly influenced by the industry. If you live in a state with a strong insurance commission, usually a liberal state, you will have better and more complete coverage (and you'll possibly pay lower premiums if they are regulated rigorously).

My beliefs about AAA are that they were once very good, but have become a marketing organization (like AARP). Their road service has several levels and the basic coverage is poor. We have it for the maps (which are of far lower quality than before in accuracy and durability) and tour and campground books. Buying those things separately, such as the Mobil tour books, is quite expensive for long travels, so we stick with AAA basic coverage. We have Toyotas, so we never have breakdowns (yet!) and have needed one tow in 22 years—out of snow bank when my wife drove into a ground blizzard many years ago and went in to the median with 5 other cars on I-70. I could have pulled out the car with the SUV, but why bother?

With a travel trailer, there's a lot more serious stuff that can happen, so that why we opted for additional coverage. AAA+ for RV's is pretty limited. Another reason we picked Good Sam over Allstate is that they are exclusively RV oriented and we hope the towing companies they have selected know RV's better.

Now I'm wondering if they would come if we were about 300 miles from a town on the Dalton Hwy on the North Slope of Alaska and wanted a tire changed? To reach them, we'd probably need to take carrier pigeons or train a raven to bring a message to Fairbanks.

Gene
Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Now I'm wondering if they would come if we were about 300 miles from a town on the Dalton Hwy on the North Slope of Alaska and wanted a tire changed? To reach them, we'd probably need to take carrier pigeons or train a raven to bring a message to Fairbanks.
Gene
Didn't quite make it to the Dalton Hwy but Allstate did come out over 120 miles in northern BC to tow me back to Dawson Creek.

Now as for Good Sam they towed me 10 miles to a Dealer that trashed my diesel engine after having been given specific instruction not to start it. By the way Sam original wanted to tow me to a dealer that was just 5 miles away but when we got there that dealer had been out of business for more than 6 months. Sam argued that they had met my contract to tow me to the closest dealer and if the driver had not gotten on the phone thats where I would have been dropped.

At present I am using AAA. They towed me 110 miles 7 days after the contract was signed without question.

I would not give you a plug nickle for Sam.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
...Policies in different states are different depending on state law and the insurance commission rules...
i agree completely with this and buyers really need to review the specifics for policy options in their HOME state.

since my insurance is specific to the state just east of you...

it's not entirely a red/blue thing, but has a lot to do with population demographics, litigation issues and all that other mystical soup...

my original point was to JUST CHECK what is included in the comp/collision coverage before buying a 'road assistance' package separately.

i use aig for the autos and progressive for the trailer.

both have been fantastic with claims, extremely well priced and provided excellent service when needed.

but again coverage varies by state and pricing varies by personal claim history, credit/risk history, and who is throwing the darts...

i used good sam for nearly 20 years on the last a/s but their policy and coverage and service was MUCH better in the 80s.

i'm sure their underwriters have varied over that time.

cheers
2air'