Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #1
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
A week in the Black Hills

We've camped in the Black Hills a few times. Both were on the way to Yellowstone. We only stayed for a few days, went to Mt Rushmore, CrazyHorse, climbed Harney Peak, and stayed at Sylvan Lake CG. (I think, it's been a few years.)
We are looking to make it a destination instead of a waypoint. I'm curious about other CGs. Custer State Park, or others. We really like quiet shaded campsites, that are spread out. We will be taking the kayak, so a lake would be great.
Also, any other suggestions on things to do in the Black Hills.
Appreciate any info. We've camped all over Colo in the last 20 years, just looking for some alternative mountainous and cooler locations to visit in August and Sept.
thanks
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we stayed at Rafter J campground & loved the area. Wouldn't want to be there during the Sturgis MC event (Aug I think). . . too many folks. . . have fun, Craig
Old 01-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We will definitely be going long after the motorcycle gathering. I've got lots of research to do. Not even sure what the weather will be like in late Aug or early Sept.
thx

Old 01-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Head to Hill City and have a wonderful steak dinner at the Alpine Hotel. They only have two items on their menu, a small filet and a large filet, comes with a wedge salad, baked potato and Texas toast. Wonderul - get there early!
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We stayed at Big Pine CG in Custer, SD....very wooded and a nice couple ran it. Really enjoyed the area and the people.
Crabpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We stayed in Rafter J and enjoyed it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Lenexa , Kansas
Stayed at 2 campgrounds in Custer State Park last September. Game Lodge...very convenient to the new visitor's center and museum and wildlife safari tours vendor. Camp sites are mostly wooded and somewhat close together.

Stockade North...not very convenient to amenities but beautiful. This campground is near the west entrance into park. A very generous amount of space between sites and very wooded. Several of the camp pads were not very level...not just back to front but side hills as well. Lake within walking distance.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
Head to Hill City and have a wonderful steak dinner at the Alpine Hotel. They only have two items on their menu, a small filet and a large filet, comes with a wedge salad, baked potato and Texas toast. Wonderul - get there early!

Be sure to arrive early or be prepared to wait. The filet is wonderful!
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks for all the info. Looks promising. Anybody do any fishing out there? Hopefully there's a trout stream or two near by.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Spend a day or so near Hot Springs, SD - nice town. There is the George S. Mickelson rail to trail in the area.
Angostura reservoir had some nice camp sites. I didn't stay there only drove through the camp ground.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Booked 7 nights in Stockade North. Picked site 25. Looks ok from pics. Also looks like good fly fishing around the area. I'll update this thread after the trip.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Lenexa , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Booked 7 nights in Stockade North. Picked site 25. Looks ok from pics. Also looks like good fly fishing around the area. I'll update this thread after the trip.
Thanks,
Jeff
That's the exact site where we camped. It falls downhill from right to left as you look at the site from the road. It also falls toward the road. Full timers from Missouri camped across the road from us. They've been working at the park for many years in season. They spend their winters in the Ozarks.

We watched 2 small deer brouse for over an hour while sitting and standing outside at site 25. It has a huge area behind the pad to enjoy. We also saw a flock of wild turkeys (about 15) make their way though the site on a different afternoon.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #13
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzee2020 View Post
That's the exact site where we camped. It falls downhill from right to left as you look at the site from the road. It also falls toward the road. Full timers from Missouri camped across the road from us. They've been working at the park for many years in season. They spend their winters in the Ozarks.

We watched 2 small deer brouse for over an hour while sitting and standing outside at site 25. It has a huge area behind the pad to enjoy. We also saw a flock of wild turkeys (about 15) make their way though the site on a different afternoon.
Excellent. It's difficult to pick a site based on a campground map. 25 seemed like it had the most privacy and shade. We like both.. We will have the kayak with us. Just curious, how far is it to the lake? We have a little two wheeled dolly that makes pulling it along fairly easy. (As long as the trail isn't too steep.)
Thanks for the info, by the way!
Jeff

Old 02-01-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
We are looking to make it a destination instead of a waypoint. I'm curious about other CGs. Custer State Park, or others. We really like quiet shaded campsites, that are spread out. We will be taking the kayak, so a lake would be great.
We've stayed at Rafter J Bar and will be returning there early this summer. We like almost everything about it. Widely spaced sites, full hookups, good location, good access, friendly staff, nice pool for a campground, well maintained overall. Some of the best sites are 30a but they will go over the site tradeoffs with you when you make a reservation and give you the best available site for your tastes.

The state park and National Forest campgrounds are generally primitive however the ones I saw were fairly high density obviating much of the benefit a primitive campground usually has. There is a state campground near Sylvan Lake (see below) and a state forest campground near Lake Pactola (see below) which you might consider if you can get by with an electric-only site and anticipate spending a good deal of time at the lakes.

Quote:
Also, any other suggestions on things to do in the Black Hills.
Appreciate any info. We've camped all over Colo in the last 20 years, just looking for some alternative mountainous and cooler locations to visit in August and Sept.
Lake Pactola is nearby. Nice public beach. Good for scuba diving -- clear deep water -- although you have to bring your own air as there are no dive shops. There are marinas on the lake that will rent boats, but I haven't used them. I saw lots of fish while scuba diving, and there is a large public pier for fishing. Sunfish, bass, trout.

Sylvan lake in Custer State Park is worth a day trip. Easy and fun Kayaking around the rocks, or just hike, or enjoy the beach or swim (Or scuba dive, the water's clear enough). Beautiful setting, clear water, not too cold. You can fish from shore or from a kayak. There is a concession on site that rents human-powered watercraft of various kinds.

Sylvan lake is along Needles Highway, which is a road to be enjoyed slowly, rather like single-malt Scotch. I suggest driving all the way along it and making a loop. Stop often and enjoy the view and take some walks on the trails.

There are numerous small man-made lakes in the area, one right next to Rushmore, and they all have fish in them and shore fishing facilities of some kind. They're all worth exploring but the smaller ones don't really have boat launching facilities as such, so you have to be willing to carry your kayak some distance.

You might also enjoy Cold Brook Lake, near Hot Springs. A favorite with the locals, and some distance away from the Hill City area. Larger than Sylvan but the topography is more prairie-like and perhaps not as pretty. Ideal for kayaking, and clear enough for scuba diving. I dived it and saw lots of fish.

Another worthwhile day trip is Wind Cave. Combine this trip with a drive on wildlife loop road, time the drive to be at dusk to see the most wildlife. This is more prairie-like topography.

No need to drive to Deadwood unless you're going for the gambling or can't find a t-shirt you like in Hill City.

It is worth spending a day or two in the nearby Badlands area if you have the time. We have only driven through but there is much to see, and we'll be splitting our time between the Black Hills and the Badlands on our upcoming trip in June.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Send me an email if you want more photos.

Also should mention that we found the National Geographic map to be the most helpful and worth every penny. They're available from REI or Amazon. You want the two map set for $20.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Lenexa , Kansas
Quote:
Excellent. It's difficult to pick a site based on a campground map. 25 seemed like it had the most privacy and shade. We like both.. We will have the kayak with us. Just curious, how far is it to the lake? We have a little two wheeled dolly that makes pulling it along fairly easy. (As long as the trail isn't too steep.)
Thanks for the info, by the way!
Jeff
It is less than a quarter of a mile to the lake as the crow flies. But as you know, humans can't get there that way. The campground is somewhat hilly and there's one fairly aggressive hill to climb (maybe 40-50 ft. elevation change) to get to a trail head that leads to the lake (a shortcut). This trail is probably 4-5 ft. wide with 3 switchbacks if I remember correctly. It probably falls 100 ft. in elevation but seemed fairly gradual with the switchbacks.

As an alternative, you can go out to the main highway and walk a more groomed route. This is probably double the hike rather than using the trail head.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #17
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks Jammer and Dizzee. We are pretty comfortable without any hookups, so having elec just means I can leave the generator at home. We will have mtn bikes along with the kayak, so we will have lots to do.
Good to hear there are fish in the lakes. We fish both the lakes and streams.
We've been to the badlands before, and enjoyed them. If we have time we will make a day trip out of them.
Hopefully we can get the kayak along the trail from camp to To lake. Ha!

Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #18
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Badlands NP is less than a two hour drive and would make a nice day trip if you're into that. There is also a de-commisioned (I think) missle silo near there that offers tours. That was very interesting but off the top of my head can't remember the name. As mentioned Wind Cave too.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
The air museum outside the airbase just east of Rapid City, has a Minute man training silo that you can tour. You might get to see B-1's fly too.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
We loved Rafter J.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote