Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 12:34 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
How is tire traker better than the new Pressure pro with batteries that last 8 + years with blue tooth phone app and can't leak?
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #82
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchAL View Post
I understand from the thread that you should use metal tire stems with TPMS caps. The ends of the tire stems on our 2018 FC 30 are metal with the only visible rubber part right where they go through the wheel. I am guessing these are still considered rubber stems and should be replaced prior to installing TPMS?
I ran several years on rubber stems and had a failure. If you want to do it right with peace of mind, get metal stems and a good TPMS and not look back. There is only one way to do it right and that is metal stems. There are a few folks that prefer rubber stems but I will never understand why, all things considered.
Pressurepro new FX system is pretty cool and works with your smart phone. The Pulse system for multiple vehicles is loved by truckers too and you can add multiple vehicles as a user with a several vehicles. American made!
Old 09-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #83
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchAL View Post
I understand from the thread that you should use metal tire stems with TPMS caps. The ends of the tire stems on our 2018 FC 30 are metal with the only visible rubber part right where they go through the wheel. I am guessing these are still considered rubber stems and should be replaced prior to installing TPMS?

"Metal" stems can be a bit misleading as some newer stems may have some brass showing. I posted pictures on my RV Tire Safety blog 1/23/2013 of standard passenger rubber valve, a "bolt-in" metal valve and a new style rubber/brass valve.
When it is recommended that "metal" stems be used, what is actually meant is "bolt-in". You will see the nut that retains the bolt-in stem on the outside of the wheel for most of these stems.

The concern is that over time (months or maybe years) the extra weight of TPM external sensors may cause some vibration and movement of the rubber stem body which might result is a failure of the rubber portion of the stem.

I am not aware of any testing done on the new style rubber/brass stems so I and others are erring on the side of caution when we recommend "bolt-in" metal stems.

You could consider running your current valves until you get new tires and at that point have the bolt in valves installed. In the meantime, I would take a close look at your stems when doing your monthly visual inspection. You can push sideways on the rubber/brass stem and look for any cracks. If you find any that would mean you need to replace them sooner rather than later.

Cracking and failure of the rubber part of valve stems is another time & Temperature aging thing just as it is with your tires. You visually inspect your tires monthly as outlined in your RV owner's manual so just include the rubber part of your valves and just as you would replace your tires when signs of significant signs or aging (cracks) are found do the same with your valves.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #84
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
How is tire traker better than the new Pressure pro with batteries that last 8 + years with blue tooth phone app and can't leak?

Not sure who you are replying too. In my test (results on my blog 8/31/18) I compared Tire Traker external system vs TST internal and external systems.

I think if you re-read my summary you will see that I felt that both provided almost identical numbers for both pressure and temperature when exposed to the same pressure or temperature. IMO I would consider these systems essentially equal for that aspect. The only significant difference "FOR ME" was that when I drive with sunglasses I found that reading of the color monitor from TST a bit more difficult.

I don't know how in a 6-month evaluation I could come to any conclusion on sensor battery life and I made no claim on that topic.

I agree that there would be a potential plus with an internal system vs external as that would eliminate the possibility of a leak due to improper installation or valve failure. As I pointed out there is, of course, the negative of the installation cost of an internal system unless you are adding that system when you get new tires. The claimed 8-year life could mean that you simply replace all the sensors when you buy new tires. At that point, you don't have the extra cost of installation but you need to do the math on the cost of a number of sensors vs the cost of replacing batteries every couple years on the external sensor. Your expected tire life 3, 5, 7, or 10 years also needs to be considered when you do the cost calculation.

I know of no "perfect" system. The intent of my direct comparison, which is the first such test I have seen or am aware of, was to answer a few questions and make a reasonable effort to collect some actual real-life data.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #85
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
"Metal" stems can be a bit misleading as some newer stems may have some brass showing. I posted pictures on my RV Tire Safety blog 1/23/2013 of standard passenger rubber valve, a "bolt-in" metal valve and a new style rubber/brass valve.
When it is recommended that "metal" stems be used, what is actually meant is "bolt-in". You will see the nut that retains the bolt-in stem on the outside of the wheel for most of these stems.

The concern is that over time (months or maybe years) the extra weight of TPM external sensors may cause some vibration and movement of the rubber stem body which might result is a failure of the rubber portion of the stem.

I am not aware of any testing done on the new style rubber/brass stems so I and others are erring on the side of caution when we recommend "bolt-in" metal stems.

You could consider running your current valves until you get new tires and at that point have the bolt in valves installed. In the meantime, I would take a close look at your stems when doing your monthly visual inspection. You can push sideways on the rubber/brass stem and look for any cracks. If you find any that would mean you need to replace them sooner rather than later.

Cracking and failure of the rubber part of valve stems is another time & Temperature aging thing just as it is with your tires. You visually inspect your tires monthly as outlined in your RV owner's manual so just include the rubber part of your valves and just as you would replace your tires when signs of significant signs or aging (cracks) are found do the same with your valves.
Agree on that about inspecting stems. I would never run rubber again having had a failure from the flexing of the stem.