Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
I installed the TST 507 system with the pass through caps when I upgraded to Michelins, new sendel wheels and steel valve stems. Very easy to use and they work great.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #42
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Just bought some. Will install when the rain stops.

"Well officer, I was not using my cell phone. But I was checking my TPMS, GPS, Dash camera, trailer rear camera and TV tire monitor while changing SiriusXM stations, getting a sip from the water bottle and petting the dog."

TPMS
GPS
Dash Camera
Leveling system
Trailer rear camera
Cell phone GPS & weather alerts
TV tire monitor system
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And sadly, that's just normal driver workload whilst underway around here as well, add in communication on the Ham radio gear at the same time...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Woodstock , Connecticut
Question Tpms

Are these systems an easy install or do they need to be installed by a service shop?

Curtis
airforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Depends on the type. Systems that use screw-on sensors in place of valve caps can be easily installed, if you have rigid (metal) valve stems.

Systems that are mounted inside the tire would need a tire shop to break down the tires, install the sensors, and mount and re-balance the assemblies.

The hardware that goes in the vehicle is fairly easy to install for a DIY-skilled individual.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Brook Park , Ohio
Value of TPMS

What sold me on a TPMS for the travel trailer was an incident involving the tow vehicle rear tire. Vehicle has a factory TPMS system and the alarm sounded as the tire lost air via a puncture from road debris. We were able to pull over safely and call our auto insurance road service folks who had someone come and change the tire. Knowing the status of your tires is paramount for safe, less stressful sojourns. I remove the sensors while the trailer is stored. Replacements are pricey. Research led me to the TireMinder A1A system. It has been working as advertised over thousands of miles. Another option for you to consider.
chdeatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #47
astrocaver

1986 25' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
While I have and recommend a tire monitor system it did not save me.
The tread separated from the tire but it did not deflate initially. The tread then destroyed the sensor. It never went off. It took out the inner and outer wheel wells the bathroom cabinet, the water heater and gas line and the water lines. My baby is severely wounded and it will be some time before I get her back.
astrocaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Corona , California
A vote for tire monitors

Another argument for sensors mounted inside the tires...?

Our damage caused in a similar manner several years ago. Yup, you guessed it, Goodyear Marathon OEM tires that were rather suddenly replaced—all of them.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
We also have the EEZ Tire TPM
you can set hi and low alarms per wheel

i set different alarms for TV vs trailers
the sensors have anti-theft rings, the batteries last more than 1 year
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Sonoma , California
Hi,
We are newbies with our '04 19' Safari Bambi. When you said "original" sensors, does that mean they are on the Bambi already? Should I look for it in the manual?
Is this something like the brake controller; needs to be installed so you can read on the dash inside the TV? Any help on where to have this installed would be appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Bambi and Thumper
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Depends on the type. Systems that use screw-on sensors in place of valve caps can be easily installed, if you have rigid (metal) valve stems.

Systems that are mounted inside the tire would need a tire shop to break down the tires, install the sensors, and mount and re-balance the assemblies.
I installed the metal valve stems myself. Having done it, I can say it's sort of easy if you invest in the tools, but the fail on my part was the Viair air pump which I love just couldn't generate enough volume to reseat the bead.*
The whole thing was a simple job that turned into a sweaty, dirty job. Take my advice, take the tires to a good tire store. (Discount Tire) I got cap sensors instead of flow through, because they're smaller, and if you remove the anti-theft device, removing the sensor is no different than removing the valve cap to add air.
Plan on Dill 902-W stems. Dill is a vendor for Discount Tire.

The problem with most tire shops is they're trying to go as fast as possible, and believe you don't know anything. On my AS the water drain is between the wheels on the street side, and breaking it off with a floor jack would be super easy, and a disaster.

* In hindsight, if I had a ratchet strap around the circumference and cranked it down, it might have popped the bead on. The first one I tried went on easily, but the rest just leaked until I gave up and drove to a tire shop for air.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
Talking Peace of mind

We've been using a TPMS valve stem system for many years and has saved our bacon enough times that it feels like your not wearing your seatbelt when you don't have it. (Forget to charge it). We just finished a 9,300 mile trip out West on the new Goodyear Endurance tires with absolutely no issues, I'm still trying to figure it out.
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Other than installing the metal valve stems, I sat in my office and programmed each sensor to the location on the monitor. I then labeled them 1, 2, 3, 4, and set the high pressure alarm, low pressure alarm, high temperature alarm, and what trailer. It took about 20 minutes and it was fun. (Once you see how its done).

I had settled on TST and the internal 507 sensors. But before I bought, for some reason they discontinued them for RV's. So I shopped around and found the 4 cap sensors with color monitor and repeater for under $300.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBelle View Post
I hear the value of a TPMS system but am still wondering just how "needed" they are on a Bambi, rather than your tandems... I think I would (knock on wood - no tire/wheel problems in 10,000 miles the past 5 years) immediately notice a flat if one occurred and I diligently check the PSI at each stop along the way so should catch any slow leaks. But maybe I am deluding myself??? And I am open to being convinced otherwise.
Oh yes, my TV has a built in system for its tires.
Even MORE important on a single axle...you have NO safety back-up...extra tires on the road.

For years and even today people complain about BAD tires when really it was damage to the tire (screw, nail, pot hole) that resulted in a flat or tire separation.
Now technology lets us monitor this and some folks won't trust it because it never was a problem before. Ok fine...wait for it to become a problem and then complain about the time, money, damage and sweat you spend versus what I did.

I put the spare on and drove off.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
We had a tire blow on us in PA on Rt 81. Never had a clue it was losing pressure and only knew we had a problem when it was flinging rubber. The damage was considerable to the plumbing as well as some aluminum. We purchased a TPMS system for the two tires and watch it like a hawk. Good investment and will give visual and audible warnings for low pressure as well as excessive heat.
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Is that with screw on sensors or inside the tire?
It was with the external, screw on sensors.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobehome View Post
Thewarden and others, Ok, so that was about to be my question. Will a TPMS be effective in notifying one of potential separation? I was pulling my 1962 19' GT down curvy, 6% downgrade, Hwy 87 from Payson, AZ to Phoenix. Air temp was about 95. I felt and heard bumping as trailer drove over the tread. Wasn't sure it was my tire as it didn't lose air pressure. Gave me a few minutes to find a safer spot to pull over. I.e a shoulder wide enough and NOT around a blind curve. Sure enough it was my tire, still holding air. So...question: would a TPMS have alerted me? If so, by temp reading or?? Thanks. I am ordering one ASAP, just want to know if I need one that has a particular feature for this in future. BTW, I replaced both tires. And, yes, I know I was very lucky! Thanks.
In my case, I was alerted by a temp alarm that something was wrong. The temp is standard on the TST, so you do not have to order anything special. When I checked the tire, most of the tread was gone, but it was still holding air, 125 psi. Not saying that this will alert you when you have a separation issue, but in my case, it did. I should point out that I had the temp alarm set for 120 degrees, not the default setting of 158.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Thank you, thewarden. Very helpful to know.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Do all these monitors TST, EZ tire etc have to have power to the monitor or do these use rechargeable batteries. Don't want to add another power cord hanging on the dash.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #60
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Do all these monitors TST, EZ tire etc have to have power to the monitor or do these use rechargeable batteries. Don't want to add another power cord hanging on the dash.

Dave
My EZ system came with a USB cable long enough to run from the mirror, up the ceiling panel, down the windshield post, under the glove box, across the console to the drivers side, and end up with 4 inches to gently drape over the console to the USB port. 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote