Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
A quest for the best, camping!

Ok fellow streamers here is my quest. I now take the week with the longest days as a vacation. This year I'm going June 18-25th. I am in search of a destination. I, of course, have many places to go to, or go to again. But somehow, I'm looking for advise or a pointer this time. Here's my parameters. I'm in Central NJ, probably looking for someplace(s) within 6-7 hours drive from here. (Maine in Sept, so not there) I like State Parks, prefer elect/h20. If I'm going to be in one place more than 4 days, sewer hookup/honey wagon. I like woods, streams/lakes, ocean front? Hiking/biking. and quiet. Suggestions welcomed, thanks! John!
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Edisto Beach State park, SC.

Maggie
Old 01-23-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Highland Haven, all Airstream, in the Blue Ridge of Virginia.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
highland haven

Sounds wonderful, looks amazing! BUT, no fire ring at each site, no open fire at site, deal breaker! That's such a shame!!!! And the phone is not working as of 01/23/14
Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey John, Bulls Island on the Delaware and it's only about 30 min away.

OOPS, stow that one. I don't think they have electric. Oh well

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
bulls

bulls is great! have not been in a while. looking to get out of state on this trip. thanks John. Edisto is neat! Thanks. john
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
John

Watoga State Park in Marlington, WV. Get a site on the river. Probably no tv or cell. You won't be too hot.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
One of my favorites is the Outflow Camping Area located on Youghiogheny River in Confluence PA. Been going ther for five or six years. It is a COE site. It has electric but no direct water hook up to the trailer. Some sites are shaded. I like it because of the nearby amenities. Trout fishing, hiking, kayacking, canoeing, biking and swimming.
It is on the Pittsburg to DC rails to trail. So you can bike as many miles you want in grat scenery. They normally stock the river just below the dam every two weeks with trout.
Swimming is located just above the dam and it also provides a magnificient view.

About 15 miles away by car is Ohiopyle ( it is 11 miles by bike on the bike trail) which is known for its hiking and white water rafting.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
LOL, Dan!

That's where I was last year!! I was there June 19-22!!! almost by the river. It is a great park. I biked the Greenbrier river trail from Watoga to Cass and back, 75 miles in 1 day. I am, of course looking myself. Anyone been to Camp Creek SP in WVa?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Ok fellow streamers here is my quest. I now take the week with the longest days as a vacation. This year I'm going June 18-25th. I am in search of a destination. I, of course, have many places to go to, or go to again. But somehow, I'm looking for advise or a pointer this time. Here's my parameters. I'm in Central NJ, probably looking for someplace(s) within 6-7 hours drive from here. (Maine in Sept, so not there) I like State Parks, prefer elect/h20. If I'm going to be in one place more than 4 days, sewer hookup/honey wagon. I like woods, streams/lakes, ocean front? Hiking/biking. and quiet. Suggestions welcomed, thanks! John!
Finding the perfect campsite depends exclusively on your own preferences. In our case this means always being on the water, lots of aesthetic tree cover, good buffer between us and our neighbours, facing the setting sun - and quiet. Your own tastes seem similar to ours - but we have found that our perfect campsite is pretty elusive - most public campgrounds (never a private RV park) will have a few (of many) sites that may fit this criteria - so the game becomes finding out which ones fill the bill - then seeking those sites in the future. Those sites are very likely also to be the same sites that others have also chosen as great sites - meaning they are in high demand for a reservation. Being retired is a distinct advantage - just pick your campsite when it is available.

Guess what I am saying here is that your favourite campsites in any park are determined by yourself - through at least one exploratory trip that can identify - very specifically - what campsites fit your own criteria. in our example - our favourite park for a weeks camping is only 30 miles away - but of all the campsites available - there are only 3 that fit our criteria - and unless we can get one of those 3 we will not be reserving.

Having said all of this - after roughly 45 years of multiple annual camping experiences - can honestly say that the number of truly "bad" places would be less than the number of fingers on one hand.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
While Michigan is amazing and has beautiful state parks, it does not meet your drive time requirement. Funny that I am planning my vacation at the Jersey shore!
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
great

Keep um comin folks! this is great! Short, I hope you like our shore, I was to Mich. about 3 years ago, (btw nice places on the way to camp, route 80 I think) I went to Detroit for the Woodword Ave. Dream Cruise. I drove my 69 Charger there, was a blast start to finish. Ranger, would love to camp side by side with you, I belive you understand my quest, a vision. To that end, one of my favorite places, Ricketts Glen, SP Pa. I just made reservations for my choice site there in May. Last time I was there, walked the park, noted the site I wanted the most, looked up online, booked it when it was available/I could go. That park has no elec/water at site, but for 3 days I'm good. Did I mention that Ricketts has lots of hiking? The falls trail, 7 miles, has 21 waterfalls! John
Old 01-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
John, we spent 1 nite at Camp Creek in WVa back in Sept, on the way home from a short roadtrip. We loved it, hope to make back there this June. Didn't have time to venture outside the camping area to explore but it was sure pretty up in there.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
amazing

Camp Creek WV is on the list. MPJ
Old 01-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey John. I was just kidding about Bulls Is. I was a NJ Park Ranger many years ago and Bulls Is. was part of my park. We camped there when my kids were small and we had a pop-up. It is a nice place and I haven't been there in a long, long time. Drove through Ringoes last week. I have a friend outside of Stockton. Nice country over there.
We're heading south next week to end winter a little early ( I hope).
See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Rodger

NP Rodger, hey have a great trip!!! I leave in 2 months for Aluminina in SC! The TW is waiting! John
Old 01-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparjohn View Post
Sounds wonderful, looks amazing! BUT, no fire ring at each site, no open fire at site, deal breaker! That's such a shame!!!! And the phone is not working as of 01/23/14
HH is closed until April. There is a fire ring just down the hill - community ring. Lots of D.O. Cooking, weenie roasts, etc. Just take your chairs down the hill.

Paula
Old 01-27-2014, 03:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
HH is closed until April. There is a fire ring just down the hill - community ring. Lots of D.O. Cooking, weenie roasts, etc. Just take your chairs down the hill.

Paula

Highland Haven opens for the 2014 season May 1. It will close October 15. It is an Airstream only campground.

The park is owned by 46 Airstream enthusiasts who are equal shareholders. There are no paid employees. The owners take turn serving as host when the park is open. Most of the administrative, maintenance and cleanup work is done on a volunteer basis by the owners. Due to the fact the park is closed off season, and it relies on the volunteer labor of the owners, the phone is not answered except when the park is open. It is not possible to make reservations on the website.

Highland Haven is one of our favorite camping locations. The setting is beautiful, there are many recreational and sightseeing activities in the immediate area, the park is extremely well maintained, and the hosts are friendly. Prices are reasonable and the seventh night is free when you stay six. It is a great place to spend a peaceful and relaxing week. It is also a convenient stopping point overnight if you are traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway or I81 corridor.

As Paula indicates you can have a fire in the community fire ring near the clubhouse which is an easy walk from any site. The park also sells propane and there are some nice hiking trails on the 75 acre property. All sites are full hookup and the wifi service is good. The views, particularly the sunsets, are breathtaking. Live bluegrass music on Friday nights, in nearby Floyd, is a must during your Highland Haven stay.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
What Chuck said, x2.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Hh

I think HH sounds so wonderful. BUT there is no way I'm camping without a campfire ring at my site. For me the campfire MAKES the end of the day, and I cook on it. I hope they will consider putting rings in, they will, for sure get me there then. John