Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A place to overnight

We do not have Cracker Barrels in CA. But we heard that it was possible to park overnight there. We stayed until about 3:00am at a rest stop and it was so noisy we moved on. At about 6:00am we parked at a Cracker Barrel and slipped into the trailer for a bit of a nap. It was quiet and we woke up rested. Breakfast was wild Maine blueberries with hot blueberry syrup. We stopped at a second Cracker Barrel and had the same breakfast the next day. Wonderful experience. Don't know if they are a good overnight solution, but no trucks makes a good start.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We've stayed overnight at a CB. Just asked the manager and then parked in a designated RV spot. Repaid the favor by buying breakfast in the morning and grabbed the directory that lists all their locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We did the same in Frackville, PA on our way North in September. It was a very quiet, restful place. We asked the manager and ate both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. We were gone by 0730. My only complaint is that the place did not have wifi. Most breakfast locations do these days.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
We did the same in Frackville, PA on our way North in September. It was a very quiet, restful place. We asked the manager and ate both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. We were gone by 0730. My only complaint is that the place did not have wifi. Most breakfast locations do these days.

Larry
I have never been to a CB that has Wi-Fi...seems that they can be very busy and they want you to eat and move on so they can seat those waiting

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Never stayed overnight at a Cracker Barrel. In fact, I seldom stop at one anymore for any reason, since I all-too-often found myself pulling in and finding no place to park because people with passenger cars were parked in the RV spaces, leaving me no place for my Interstate and toad. And for some reason one of the few RV spaces is often also the location of the restaurant's dumpster, and a dumpster is a bad neighbor even on a good day. Maybe Cracker Barrel stores away from the Gulf Coast states are better about keeping the RV spaces open for RVs…
Old 10-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have never overnighted at a Cracker Barrel, but because they have RV parking I eat lots of lunches and dinners there while traveling. I might ask the manager at the Cracker Barrel in Monroe, LA if we can stay there overnight. It is a good half-way point on our trip to Texas every year.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Never stayed overnight at a Cracker Barrel. In fact, I seldom stop at one anymore for any reason, since I all-too-often found myself pulling in and finding no place to park because people with passenger cars were parked in the RV spaces, leaving me no place for my Interstate and toad. And for some reason one of the few RV spaces is often also the location of the restaurant's dumpster, and a dumpster is a bad neighbor even on a good day. Maybe Cracker Barrel stores away from the Gulf Coast states are better about keeping the RV spaces open for RVs…
Cars parking in the RV spaces is a problem at Cracker Barrels everywhere. I don't know why people in cars park in the RV spaces. There is plenty of available parking for them. I guess they are just inconsiderate.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I am on hold with Cracker Barrel in West Monroe, LA waiting to speak with the manager to find out if overnight RV parking is allowed at that location.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
OK.
Spoke with general manager of the Cracker Barrel in West Monroe, LA.
She said it is fine to overnight there as long as you are in the trailer/with the RV.
I can't imagine that anyone would want to park an RV there and leave it unattended.
Anyhow, the general manager said to contact the manager on duty and let them know that the general manager approved the overnight stay.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We have parked at CB numerous times - always asked manager - always had dinner there to show thanks. Many nights we were the only RV overnighting.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Just a quick note, one of the things that comes with Membership in WBCCI, is the courtesy parking, now in electronic form and easy to see if there is a place near you planned stopping point. Not always available, but free and friendly always.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I've never over-nighted at CB. We did stay one (partial) night at a Walmart in Palatka, FL. Not a very good neighborhood. Noise, trucks, people....we laid in bed until 3:00 AM and quietly sneaked away. Our neighborhood WallyWorld would be just fine. Carefully pick your location.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
For most of us traveling with our RV frig turned on, the degree of level also becomes a factor. We've stopped at CB many times to dash in for lunch, but because of the degree off-level they wouldn't have been suitable for a multi hour stay.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Nothing to stop you from leveling the trailer in a Cracker Barrel parking lot-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We found folks parked in the RV spots, but in our limited experience we did find space to park. Rest areas segregate trucks and RVs from cars, but with all the trucks on our interstates, they need every parking space they can find. In contrast, car parking is generally under used. With a bit of consideration, we came to the decision that parking on the car side was a better solution. Extending that approach a bit, parking in a set of car slots at a restaurant, when there are no RV slots available, does not seem to be a horrible act given some care in choosing the location.

edit: of course our rig is only 41 ft and not difficult to jackknife.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
We have stayed overnight a CB a couple of times. We always ask the manager and each time we were told that it was fine. Actually one of the managers loved Airstreams and asked if he could look inside of our trailer. We have dinner at CB whenever we park there overnight. It works well when you are in route because they are right on the interstates so its easy to get back on the road the next morning.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heh, we usually stop at the first Cracker Barrel we can find, park and eat lunch. Then grab the latest version of their location map and use it to navigate for the rest of the trip.😄

Haven't stayed overnight yet, but their parking is usually level enough to not have fridge problems. We travel with dogs, so cool temps are necessary so the fans can keep the dogs comfortable. Otherwise it's take-out and dogs stay in the A/C in the truck.

Just wish they had s store in California...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We discussed the no CB in CA issue with a waitress. She is from San Diego and would transfer to a CA CB if one existed. Management tells her that the CA market would not embrace grits and they don't want to go to the trouble of changing their menu, because they make enough profit with their existing business plan.

We are starting to consider a trip to Kingman for breakfast.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Not everyone who eats at Cracker Barrel eats grits. My daughter, born in Alabama, hates them. My wife, a Brit, loves grits. Go figure. I can live quite nicely without grits or any other hot breakfast cereal product.

I suspect the real reason is that CB would be at the very far western end of their supply chain if they came to CA, and that they are just not sure yet how much they can compete against 'California Cuisine' in SoCal.

Personally, I'd love to see them open a store--Kingman is just out of convenient range for casual visits. I'd love to see one in Victorville or Barstow, for one.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

I suspect the real reason is that CB would be at the very far western end of their supply chain if they came to CA, and that they are just not sure yet how much they can compete against 'California Cuisine' in SoCal.
I think these reasons, plus food regulations in California make it more difficult for them to compete.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote