Old 11-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #85
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
A place to overnight

Quartz site is really a lot of fun!
Yes it is crowded and a little dusty, but is easily overlooked!
You need to do a little planning and prep prior to coming....
You'll need to stock up on groceries as there is little selection locally, laundry is a hassle too. I suggest you invest in a 55 gallon drum to haul water in, otherwise you're towing the AS just to get water. As you leave it can be sold to the next in need. There is a guy in Phoenix that sells them clean and very cheap!
The BLM has a free 14 day pass or a season long pass for $140. The latter gets you campsite, a water station and dump, trash and a whole bunch of memories!
Quartzsite is a very solar friendly place. It's a good place to research buy and install your equipment. There are 2 solar stores with a plethora of inventory Ns knowledge.
Should you want to Tay here but not boondock, I have connections that can offer full hookups for $15 a night or less per month. It's clean very quiet and you'll have lots of space.

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #86
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Spent some time looking at the Quartzite Google satellite images and the views along the area roads. Can't seem to pick out the available areas. Assume it is a lot easier on the ground. It's not a place that would be a destination, but we will quite likely travel I10 when we go South. Going to have to stay a night just for the experience. Dust, heat, noise...... not so good..... great folks, yes.

PKI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I'm in Quartzsite I usually stay in the Plamosa Road area with a group of Escapee boondockers. PM me and I'll send you the coordinates and dates.

For replenishing the fresh water supply I have 2 5-gallon blue plastic jugs that I carry in the back of the truck. Every time I see a spigot I fill these jugs, and when I get back to my AS I decant them into the fresh water tank. I do this by placing the tank on a step ladder and running a piece of hose into the AS fresh water opening.

As far a crowds are concerned, the camping in Q is "dispersed" camping - i.e., you set up where you feel comfortable within the confines of the area (there are some parts that are off limits for camping).

Parker AZ is just about 30 minutes away, and has both a Walmart and large Safeway grocery store. There is also the Desert Bar (just outside Parker), which is only open on weekends during daylight (all power is solar).

For those who like to browse flea markets, Q is the mother of all flea markets!

As for getting solar in Q, there are 2 places - I've dealt with both, and will only recommend Discount Solar.
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #88
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The Florida Rest Area thread got me to thinking about what we liked and didn't care for in a RA. We checked on quite a few, both for the comfort station and to understand the potential of a stop on future trips. If we were to design one, it would be three separate areas. One for trucks located close to the road, one for cars located behind the restrooms, and one for campers and picnics with distributed parking spaces at the back of the site behind a hill. Truckers, travelers, and campers all need a safe place to stay. No reason a nice state park should not be on the side of an interstate.

What we don't like are cramped pullovers with insufficient facilities for the prevailing traffic. We stopped at a RA in Massachusetts. The parking was parallel, limited and lined with broken glass. Probably the worst we visited, but suspect there are others we would skip.

We also did not warm to a practice we saw in Nebraska. It may have been done for good purpose, but seemed short sighted. The shoulders leading into and out of the rest areas had posts placed so trucks could not park in those areas. Seems like getting past a parked truck is easier than a multi-mile backup from a sleepy driver accident, but maybe those parked trucks at the entrance to a RA are more hazardous than I perceive them to be.

We stopped on a car trip a couple of years back at a Wyoming RA that we really liked. The configuration was a standard drive through, but had a large gravel parking lot next to it. May be possible that the area was built to accommodate the large number of oil field equipment trucks heading through the area and we just hit it on a slow night. We only stayed for a nap so it may have filled up later.

We thought it sad that a Rest Area off I81, where we did spend several hours, had a large parking area at the back, which was blocked off from use. We hope it was just under reconstruction and not permanently closed. The Truck area of that RA was absolutely jammed by the middle of the night when we left.

We normally do not like the NV RAs with pit toilets, but we stopped for a break at one about sun down. It was relatively quiet and relaxing. Guess having your own toilet makes an area with limited facilities significantly more inviting.

Rest Areas are not the best place to spend a night, but we find that well planned sites do a real service for travelers and appreciate them even when we drive on by.

PKI is online now   Reply With Quote